Gransnet forums

Chat

It’s not even my dog

(23 Posts)
rubysong Thu 25-Jun-20 19:09:21

So sad Morethan. We have had two English Bull Terriers in our lives and they were lovely, kind dogs and will never be forgotten. I'm sure your EBT brought many happy memories to your family. You are not silly to be upset.

PinkCakes Thu 25-Jun-20 18:10:24

It's always upsetting when a much-loved pet dies. They are part of the family, aren't they? x

BlueSky Thu 25-Jun-20 17:56:35

They are our granddogs after all, I love my children's pets too and I have been quite upset when they had to be put to sleep.

grannysyb Thu 25-Jun-20 17:50:17

So sorry, Morethan, life is so hard for you at the moment. Even though she wasn't you dog, she still had a place in your heart. Thinking of you.

sodapop Thu 25-Jun-20 15:24:17

Merlotgran has been where you are morethan2 and her post says it all.
My sympathy to both of you, can't imagine how you must feel.

Bull terriers have so much character I understand how you will miss her thanks

Shelmiss Thu 25-Jun-20 14:09:17

When our first family dog died I honestly thought I wouldn’t ever be able to smile again.

I understand how you feel. flowers

cornergran Thu 25-Jun-20 14:04:34

I’m so sorry morethan, totally understand your upset. Definitely not stupid. Cry if you need to, sending love.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 25-Jun-20 13:33:10

You have got a lot going on and I can certainly understand why you would cry over the English bull terrier being put to sleep, I’m inconsolable when we have our pets PTS, you certainly aren’t stupid. Everyone would understand who has pets

merlotgran Thu 25-Jun-20 13:25:52

It's awful if a beloved dog has to be PTS when the whole family is being flattened while supporting someone who is terminally ill.

I wept buckets for my Jack Russell Millie because she was diagnosed at the same time as DD1 but outlived her by six months.

I think it's because you don't have to hold it in for the death of a dog, morethan. In some ways it's a blessed release to have a reason to weep other than the present crisis engulfing your family. flowers

HootyMcOwlface Thu 25-Jun-20 13:17:09

Well I must be daft too, I’m sitting with tears in my eyes reading your post and I don’t even know your dog! ❤️

dragonfly46 Thu 25-Jun-20 13:16:08

Of course you are upset Morethan a dog is part of the family and this is just a culmination of all the pain you have suffered in the last few years.
Be kind to yourself flowers

FlyingHandbag Thu 25-Jun-20 13:11:07

I'm so sorry. I still remember coming home from school when I was 12 and answering the phone to my cousin who had called to tell me her dog (who was older than I was at the time and had been in my life since I was born) had been put down. I dropped to the floor crying and almost fainted. I had to be kept home from school the next day as I was in shock and had been up all night sobbing. I have never forgotten the feeling or the dog. sadflowersXx

DiscoGran Thu 25-Jun-20 13:10:39

You are not stupid, it is so sad when pet owners have to make this decision. We lost our lovely dog in February and I am still missing him madly. They really do become part of the family. Have a cry, and be kind to yourself. ?

Alima Thu 25-Jun-20 13:01:19

I am so sorry, she was so beautiful and so young too. Don’t be too hard on yourself for grieving.

lemongrove Thu 25-Jun-20 13:00:31

Dogs, cats, any family pet is a great loss when they go, especially if it was a shock to you to hear of it.Pets can be great friends and we feel grief, nothing wrong in that at all.

willa45 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:58:09

We too lost our beloved 'granddog' just recently, so I know.
Virtual hugs

anna7 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:54:42

I understand completely why you are so upset. My son's dog was very ill recently and I was so worried about him. Dogs get under your skin somehow. You have an awful lot of things to worry about and I am so sorry. flowers

Oopsminty Thu 25-Jun-20 12:53:38

You're not stupidly upset at all

The loss of a much loved dog is a tragedy that all dog owners go through

You loved the dog and you know how upset your family is about losing her at such a young age

So not only are you sad at the loss you're also upset because of the impact on your family

And what a gorgeous dog she was!

BlueSky Thu 25-Jun-20 12:52:09

Morethan of course you still cry about a beloved pet even if there are other major worries in your family. You must be so low. I love the English bull terriers, they are such loving dogs. Big hug. flowers

Ellianne Thu 25-Jun-20 12:51:54

So sad, but sometimes you just need to sit and have a big cry about everything.

midgey Thu 25-Jun-20 12:49:50

Sounds like you are crying for so much more than the dog. flowers

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:49:33

Morethan2 to lose a family pet is heartbreaking, take care.

morethan2 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:41:41

I don’t know why I’m so upset and sitting crying my eyes out for my sons dog but here I am weeping buckets. Especially since there is so much worse going on in my family. I was with my poor terminally DiL who is in real pain and distressed came home and got a call from my other DiL crying and telling she had to have their 5 year old dog put down. I looked after their dog four or five times a year. When I visit them I shouted ‘come to Nanna Roxie “ she’d run to me tail wagging and make such a loving fuss of me. I used to say she was more pleased to see me than the humans were. She was such a lovely loving dog. I’m so stupidly upset