Gransnet forums

Chat

Preparation for COVID resurgence anyone?

(122 Posts)
Bluebellwould Fri 26-Jun-20 15:07:42

Is anyone preparing for the expected autumn/winter upswing in corona virus infections?
I’ve planted some broccoli, green beans and other vegetables for winter harvesting to keep me supplied through the winter. I’ve done that mainly because I have noticed how little frozen veg there is available from Ocado. I’ve also been building up my food cupboard a little at a time so hopefully will have enough to get through if deliveries become difficult.
I’m just wondering how much of anything will become scarce so trying to plan ahead.
I take soluble co-codamol for arthritis pain relief and I just cannot get them anywhere. Again I am thinking of lack of supply occurring before things get back to normal.
Are you all doing anything for the future?

Aepgirl Sat 27-Jun-20 10:21:22

I shall have a stocked food cupboard as I always have had. It wouldn’t be a very varied diet, but I wouldn’t starve.

pce612 Sat 27-Jun-20 10:22:51

No.

harrigran Sat 27-Jun-20 10:24:49

We have stocked up on washable face masks as I anticipate wearing one throughout the winter.
I don't think it is a question of if, more a matter of when. If it coincides with flu season it will be dreadful.

deanswaydolly Sat 27-Jun-20 10:25:30

I slowly built up quite a stockpile over time using the excuse of Brexit. My integral garage was full! However my daughter and family relocated to Lanzarote last year with zero resources so it all went into her container to help them out in arrival. Now just do the one out one in method. I used to have a large monthly shop delivered from Asda and shop in between at Aldi. They cancelled my large order due first day of lockdown so I haven't shopped with them since. Luckily my son has got me weekly deliveries on his shopping pass as I dont want to go out. I am 61 with a nice variety of health issues but a working 60 hr weeks as a childminder.

Guineagirl Sat 27-Jun-20 10:27:46

No and I won’t be stockpiling either.

mousemac Sat 27-Jun-20 10:28:47

Even if the second wave of covid doesn't cause shortages, they are guaranteed by Brexit in the New Year.
Plant, bottle, collect and freeze as much as you can.

Good luck with the meds.

Froglady Sat 27-Jun-20 10:31:17

I think I am just trying to prepare mentally for a resurge, rather than shopping for it.

Mollygo Sat 27-Jun-20 10:43:57

Just replacing as we go, though I always stock up on tissues once we get to November. If that fails my DH still uses normal handkerchiefs so I suppose I’d just share. I’m booked first in for a cut and colour on the 4th and I’ll keep my hair up to date just in case.

Kim19 Sat 27-Jun-20 10:45:40

One extra pack of dettol wipes for me and that's it.

Soniah Sat 27-Jun-20 10:45:45

Just added toilet rolls to my order having seen the crowded beaches ;)

SueLindsey Sat 27-Jun-20 10:48:21

I havnt managed to find out why it should be arriving this Autumn and not before. My dad, who lived 140 miles away, died of Coronavirus in April and I have been putting off going to sort out his house (he and mum were hoarders). I dont have a car so would have to go by public transport and I cant work out what the best time to go would be. Things look better and then idiots go on raves and beaches and I think things will get bad again very soon.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 27-Jun-20 10:52:40

I think it all depends on your personal circumstances. If you are fit and healthy and have access to transport you may not feel it necessary. I dont drive and in February ensured I had enough basics,especially the heavy items such as cat litter to last me 12 weeks. I remember optimistically thinking if I ran out of anything I could do an online order.! Couldnt get an online order for a month. I have friends and family who can shop for me but didnt want them to expose themselves unnecessarily.
In all likelihood there could be a second wave. Brexit could result in certain items being in short supply or non existent. Britain imports a lot of food and goods. I always imagined supermarkets having vast warehouses full of stock,apparently they dont and are already storing maximum amount of frozen food they can.
I'm a hopeless gardener and so wont be growing my own but envy those who do.
I'm neither stock piling nor panic buying but keep a supply of non perishables to keep me going if need be.
As I said,look at own experience of past few weeks and make own decision of what's best for you and how far the Government protects it's most vulnerable citizens.

GrammarGrandma Sat 27-Jun-20 10:54:29

No. Trying not to hoard as that causes problems for other people. We have been lucky so far with deliveries.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 27-Jun-20 10:58:34

I wont be stockpiling as I have confidence that lessons will have been learned amongst the retail trade from the panic buying they encountered a few months ago and will be armed 'not literally one hopes'grin and ready should it start again .

magshard20 Sat 27-Jun-20 11:25:06

Not stockpiling, just making sure I have enough in as I always gave done, when I open for example a new jar coffee or tea bags, i automatically buy replacements. I feel comfortable in myself if I have reserves, (but not excessive piles) of food, toiletries, cupboard staples etc. I will continue as I have been doing for most of if my married life (almost 50years).

Nannan2 Sat 27-Jun-20 11:36:35

Bluebellwould- try shopping in less 'posh' shops than ocado then!grin And im sure you could source co- codamol online.

GrannyfromWilmslow Sat 27-Jun-20 11:39:46

My main concern is running out of dog and cat food

Nannan2 Sat 27-Jun-20 11:46:16

Im same Magshard20- just make sure ive enough, i do try buy the certain things my youngest son 'favours' though, as theres only certain things he will eat due to ASD issues with textures, flavours etc.But myself& other son arent quite as picky, so theres always something we can have..if i know im running out of something i just buy a couple in next shop. I do buy some items in bulk online in winter- as ive osteoarthritis and cant get out in snow& bad weather- so get stuff like loo rolls, kitchen rolls, wash pods, dishwash tablets, toiletries etc, but i do it every year, so im not caught out when cant get to shops.hmm

Nannan2 Sat 27-Jun-20 11:50:59

Yessadly im a hopeless gardener toosad and our soil has a load of rocks/ pebbles beneath surface so even if we wanted to try grow some veg it would be difficult to say least.Garden quite waterlogged too most of year.Today it looks like lake eeriegrin

Nannan2 Sat 27-Jun-20 11:56:13

GrannyfromWilmslow- You can get lots of choice of dog& cat food from Amazon, and they even do a subscription service if you want, it saves you ever running out, even gives you a discount, and you can stop, start, postpone it as you like.In fact they have that service on loads of things now on Amazon.so no need to run out of anything reallysmile

Furret Sat 27-Jun-20 12:01:29

If there’s going to be a second wave it will be soon, August probably? It seem as if the uninformed and/or couldn’t-care-less because you’ve got to die of something/we’re young we are OK brigade/etc have decided it’s all over now.

Might be worth buying in the ingredients for your Christmas cake or pudding now...that’s the Christmas celebration which will probably be cancelled.

I’ve reached the ‘we are all doomed stage’ as you’ve probably guessed.

Nannan2 Sat 27-Jun-20 12:06:45

Maybe you could buy a small freezer Teacheranne in summer sales that are on? Just big enough to allow you to stock a few meals by making them & 'eat one freeze one' just an under counter one or a small chest one? Prices are low-ish at moment maybe you could get a bargain, or try freecycle for one& clean it well.hmm

allule Sat 27-Jun-20 12:08:42

I'm getting repeat medicines a bit ahead...partly for fear of shortages, but partly because they have to be collected by car, and this means I can ask family to pick them up when convenient for them, rather than make a special journey,

WoodLane7 Sat 27-Jun-20 12:09:04

I was always brought up to keep emergency supplies of toilet rolls, tins, UHT milk - people used to scoff until the corona virus hit! I will carry on as I have been

Nannan2 Sat 27-Jun-20 12:09:08

My christmas was cancelled LAST year- i was so very ill, and am sure it was covid19 back then..I'll be beggared if im gonna let it ruin a second blinking christmas for me!!hmmangry