Gransnet forums

Chat

Dilemma!

(97 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 28-Jun-20 20:04:49

We looked after my sister's dog for 3 months while she recovered from a broken arm. She's ok now and the dog has gone back. This afternoon she turned up with 3 shrubs as a thank you present. We don't have room for them in our garden and DH is very particular about what gets planted in the garden. Apparently they grow to 400cms high and 250 wide. He now wants me to tell her we don't want them. However I don't want to hurt her feelings. What can I do? I thought of buying some huge pots and having them in the front garden, but it says on the labels they should be planted in the ground. I don't know how to solve this blush

faye17 Wed 01-Jul-20 01:37:07

Know I'm going off track a bit there ...
think I just needed to get that off my chest grin

faye17 Wed 01-Jul-20 01:32:33

Someone made the point that if you don't tell your sister she may gift you more plants in the future. I'd be absolutely loth to tell anyone who was kind enough to gift me three beautiful plants that they were unsuitable - however I do believe it keeps life simpler to be straight.
A friend of mine gifted a piece of bog oak framing a clock to my son as an engagement present and while I knew neither he or his fiancee would like it I thanked her very much. What did she give as their wedding present? A bog oak framed mirror.
Both are in the charity shop.
I blame myself because I should have told her at the start that the clock would not suit the style of their home but I don't have whatever it takes to do that.
To be honest I don't know why she presumed to know their 'style' by giving such a gift. You might well say we should be grateful for any gift but shouldn't people put a bit more thought into what they gift?
Unless you are are in very close terms and know the recipient's style and even then I think a gift voucher is a much better idea as it gives the recipient the freedom to choose what they really need it want for themselves.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 30-Jun-20 18:07:26

annep1

Lovely garden MadeinYorkshire

Thank you annepl:! If it hadn't been for my garden I would have gone insane by now during lockdown! x

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 23:06:04

Even my neighbour, whose garden is wonderful, leaned over the fence and admired my pieris in pots when they were ablaze with their red tips in the spring.

I was very pleased.

annep1 Mon 29-Jun-20 22:52:48

Lovely garden MadeinYorkshire

EthelJ Mon 29-Jun-20 19:58:50

I agree with others and put them in pots. It would be a shame not to use them especially if you like them. They may prefer the ground but that doesn't mean they won't be OK in a pot.

Phloembundle Mon 29-Jun-20 18:56:31

They will be fine in pots because, as another person said, you can easily give them the conditions they want, and the pots will keep the sizes down.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 29-Jun-20 18:54:00

I also have several trees in my parking space - I have a beautiful Snake Bark Acer, a Gleditsia, a Robinia Lace Lady, and a Cercis/Judas Tree - because they need to grow long roots, mine are all in chimney pots or a milk churn! So yes trees are fine too!

Grandmama Mon 29-Jun-20 18:34:17

I have chestnut, oak and philadelphus (to name but a few) that have been growing in pots for years. They're fine. So put them in pots - but not with a narrow neck so if you have to re-pot them you can get them out.

Bevthecake Mon 29-Jun-20 18:33:10

If anybody gives me plants they die instantly, I don’t have green fingers and forget to water them. Having always told people this I luckily don’t get given garden plants.. love a bunch of cut flowers though. Some good advice in the posts, hopefully you can sort it x

MadeInYorkshire Mon 29-Jun-20 18:22:50

This is how it started!

Go for it! x

annodomini Mon 29-Jun-20 18:19:57

Pot up the camellia with ericaceous compost - it prefers an acidic medium with good drainage. It will be a beautiful plant. An acid medium is also recommended for pieris. Why not try them all?

MadeInYorkshire Mon 29-Jun-20 18:19:39

I have a very tiny garden, with no ground in it all, it's a bit larger than a parking space with an extra bit where I have my table and chairs ..... so ALL my plants, and there are hundreds of them are in containers!

I have 2 Camellias and a Pieris and they are fine - prune at the right time to keep them at a size you need, and don't forget they all need Ericaceous Compost! Good luck!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:19:23

Can you explain to your sister that your DH has fixed ideas about what he wants in the garden and has decided he doesn't have room for the plants she has given you?

Could they perhaps be exchanged? Or could she use them herself and give you something your DH wants?

She is your sister, after all. She probably knows your husband's quirks by now.

If you cannot be honest with your own sister, you risk her giving you plants again with the same result

Bumboseat1 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:13:48

This is a tricky one. I would put them in pots and tell her not not to buy you any more as you haven’t got the room. It would have been better if she bought you a bottle of wine and some chocolates for looking after the dog

annep1 Mon 29-Jun-20 17:51:08

If he was kind enough to agree to take in your DS's dog for 3 months
Hadn't thought of this.

Armoria Mon 29-Jun-20 17:44:48

I have those same shrubs in pots and they are fine! put them in the front garden and show them off. Your sister will be made up too to see them there!

Jaycee5 Mon 29-Jun-20 17:26:07

I grew some camelias in a pot and they did very well. It was virtually total shade which they seemed to like. Never had the same success with them afterwards and now I don't have a garden.
I would ignore the instructions, stick them in a pot and cross your fingers.

justwokeup Mon 29-Jun-20 17:11:39

Another vote with merlotgran here for Wilko pots - they have some lovely lightweight plastic ones that look much more expensive. I personally couldn't fit another plant in the garden as ours is quite small, but every plant 'works' for me. I'd love a camellia - I think I'll try one in a pot! I agree with your OH though, the garden is my domain (my OH isn't interested at all) and kept me sane over the past few months. To make room in it for a plant that I don't want would irritate me every time I went out there. If he was kind enough to agree to take in your DS's dog for 3 months, a bit of compromise wouldn't hurt.

4allweknow Mon 29-Jun-20 17:06:22

Put them in pots and increase size as they grow. Perhaps they won't survive, much to your DHs relief.

RosesAreRed21 Mon 29-Jun-20 16:27:42

I wouldn’t upset her by saying you don’t want them perhaps like these have said above out them in a plant pot or donate them to a local hospice or nursing home that have the room to accommodate them

jerseygirl Mon 29-Jun-20 16:27:04

These are lovely plants especially the camelia's. I have a few of these and they grow very well in large pots. You can then keep an eye on how much they are growing. Having said that could you not find room in your garden. They are slow growing and are well worth the effort. They give a lovely display and the colours are gorgeous. Hope you manage to keep them.

craftyone Mon 29-Jun-20 16:24:27

I completely empathise about not having them in the soil, the garden is obviously his project and I too would not welcome any donated plants. I would accept them graciously and would put them into planters. I have grown bamboos and lilac trees in planters and almost anything will grow in a planter

I have seen a beautiful camellia in a pot and I have grown pieris in pots. They will be no trouble and give you some lovely garden features

diygran Mon 29-Jun-20 16:17:50

The camellia and pieris will not grow huge in pots so you could buy light plastic pots and possibly put a brick or broken crocks in each to stabilise in wind. I have plastic cream and also terracota style pots at door and they look fine.
In a year or two, hubby may relent and allow your shrubs to go into garden!

sharon103 Mon 29-Jun-20 15:50:30

If my sister gave me shrubs/plants I would never hurt her by giving them away. Put them in big tubs. If they die at least you've tried.