Gransnet forums

Chat

Nigella slims down her social life

(9 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 29-Jun-20 15:02:15

Nigella Lawson has apparently said she is planning to slim down her social life after lock down. Whilst she enjoys seeing her friends she also likes to spend time alone. Her words struck a chord with me as I have been thinking along the same lines. Not so much about spending time alone but about being happy with my social activities. I have realized there are some thing that I no longer enjoy being part of and will not be returning to after lock down. It is about saying no rather than yes to what other people want me to do and making time for what is important to me. Is anyone else considering changes to their social life/activities?

grannylyn65 Mon 29-Jun-20 15:07:05

Don’t have a social life ?

Kate1949 Mon 29-Jun-20 15:16:10

I'm just a girl who can't say no. If anyone says 'Do you want to meet for lunch, coffee, a drink etc', I always say yes even when I don't want to. I'm such a wimp. One upside of lockdown is that all that's stopped. smile

MellowYellow Mon 29-Jun-20 15:18:20

Yes, I'm already doing it. I'm a bit of a loner anyway but since lockdown I've realised how much energy I was expending on going places and seeing people - nice places, nice people, but I've really enjoyed this quieter life and am already saying no to some invitations to meet up (socially-distanced etc etc) and re-thinking groups I belonged to. How long it will last though I don't know! However, I do have small grandchildren in my life so it won't be entirely quiet! grin

mancgirl Mon 29-Jun-20 15:18:32

I'm missing going to the gym?. It was nice to have a coffee and a chat after classes, but not sure I will be going back. Can't imagine how classes where you move around, aerobics for example, could be done safely. Don't think I will be paying the membership to go back when classes are the things I like best. Will have to skip the workout and just have coffee and cake instead ?

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Jun-20 15:41:39

No, I was happy with my life. I’m glad we’re able to sit in gardens and go for walks now with family and friends, even if it’s just a few at a time. But I’m looking forward to being able to meet up over coffee or lunch in cafes and pubs (though I’ll be waiting a week or two yet to see how it pans out). I miss the reading groups, the cinema, the pub quizzes, the window shopping, the arts and literary festivals that aren’t happening this year, having meals with friends and (particularly) family get-togethers. I wouldn’t want to change a thing about life as it was. I’m hoping to get most of it back.

BlueSky Mon 29-Jun-20 21:44:06

Don't have/want/need a social life. So no change there.

GagaJo Mon 29-Jun-20 21:59:01

I've always been a bit of a loner and lockdown has made me even more so. The 'going out' that I enjoy is usually doing something (nothing too energetic) outside on my own, which I can do again now anyway.

I'm not going back to pubs/restaurants/cafes anytime soon or anywhere near as much as I used to. There isn't any need and I'm just as happy not doing it.

Unlike my 2 year old grandson who apparently made an escape dash into Greggs last week, lured by the smell of baking!

Welshwife Mon 29-Jun-20 22:15:12

We were sort of trained for lockdown as I was diagnosed with cancer in 2018 - so much of that year was lost to scans and things and then chemo - so we became real home birds and only saw a few people during that time.
We had still not completely got back into the swing of things although had made a couple of trips back to U.K. to see much missed family when all this started! DD and DGD had been to see me and that was fine as they did any necessary jobs and looked after me but I was just not up to other visitors.
Not sure how much we will get back to doing when we are totally released!