Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite presents

(90 Posts)
dragonfly46 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:59:08

This may have been asked before but what has been your favourite present?

My DD, for my birthday each year buys me a monthly subscription of fresh flowers. They are such a joy throughout the year. These are the latest.

Esspee Mon 20-Jul-20 13:52:57

The best present we received was membership to Historic Scotland. I now give that (or National Trust membership) to others and it is always enthusiastically appreciated.

faye17 Mon 20-Jul-20 13:47:20

Just had these left on my doorstep from my lovely neighbour of 40 years... no special occasion or reason, that's my favourite kind of present

Froglady Sat 04-Jul-20 12:24:19

Happysexagenarian

I had two favourite childhood presents: a lovely doll given to me by my father when I was four; and a wooden box of watercolour paints from my brother when I was 10. I played with the doll till it started to fall apart and used the paints for many years. When I married I left them at my mother's house together with some other possessions. I later discovered she had thrown them out. She knew I treasured them. It was sheer spitefulness because she didn't like my father or brother.

My favourite adult present is the bottle of Chanel No.5 which my husband buys me every year either for birthday or Christmas. Every time I wear it (which is most days) it reminds me of so many happy times in my life.

How mean to get rid of things that you treasured so much, just because she didn't like the people who had given them to you. That is so spiteful.

Purplepixie Fri 03-Jul-20 13:15:23

My favourite birthday present was a surprise trip to Paris for my 60th. I knew we were going abroad but not to Paris, it was fantastic.

This year - DH made a lovely roast chicken dinner and my youngest son (working/living at home) made a cheesecake birthday cake. Both bought flower, presents and cards. My eldest son and daughter got me nothing as there was a lockdown. I’ll say no more.

yattypung Fri 03-Jul-20 03:17:54

One of my favourite birthday presents was a flight over Perth WA in a helicopter. Absolutely amazing

GrannyFray Thu 02-Jul-20 17:26:12

Lovely flowerssmile my favourite present has to be the rose bush my daughter sent for my 50th wedding anniversary last year. Its planted where I can see it from my kitchen window and is just about ready to bloom again, I love it. Since I got mine Ive sent a few to my friends too smile

tree2mydoor.com/products/golden-50th-anniversary-rose-gift

fifeywifey Wed 01-Jul-20 23:24:47

For my 60th birthday my husband treated me and my two daughters to Go Ape in Aberfoyle. The first half hour of the experience was a safety demonstration and then we were off on zip wires and treetop obstacles. It was an amazing experience to share with my daughters. I would like to regain some of my fitness so we can return on my 70th in about a year's time. Experiences mean so much more to me than "stuff".

Naty Wed 01-Jul-20 23:07:49

My sister bought me at 17 dollar visor off of amazon to fit my gigantic head. It's a hat Korean grannies wear. She had asked her Korean friend for advice. The first hat to fit my head since i was a child!

Lilyflower Wed 01-Jul-20 22:14:18

When the children were young we gave up on presents as we couldn’t afford them but the deal was that I got to spend the Tesco’s points at Goldsmith’s Jewellers. I saved for two years to buy a watch for my fiftieth. By then we were better off and the DH stumped up a huge amount to add to the points to buy the best one in the range. My Omega diamond Constellation is my most treasured possession and gives me pleasure every day. The only time it is off my wrist is when I am in the bath.

But I am shallow and shiny things please me.

Joelise Wed 01-Jul-20 20:37:46

My most favourite present was a long weekend in Venice , for my 60th birthday, from DD . She and I had a wonderful time, and stayed in a lovely Locanda near the Rialto bridge. My next best present was for our 50th wedding anniversary , nearly two years ago . DD and DS organised a huge party for our friends and family , hiring a marquee, with a lovely catered buffet , a fabulous day ! My 94 year old , only surviving aunt came , which made it extra special ( I was a bridesmaid at her wedding when I was 5 ) !

Jennyluck Wed 01-Jul-20 19:56:08

I love being given flowers, if they’ve been delivered it’s even better. The idea of a monthly magazine subscription sounds perfect.
But the best present I ever had was from my ds2, a kitten...... we thought it was a girl and called her Ruby, but found out later ruby was a boy. He slept on my bed every night of his life. My gorgeous boy is no longer with us. ?

Glenfinnan Wed 01-Jul-20 19:22:11

My niece does suffer from a bipolar disorder. She is a brave girl meeting all the challenges head on and bringing up her family. I buy her a subscription to a magazine called Happiful which she loves and finds helpful. It’s good to give a gift which is really appreciated.

Milest0ne Wed 01-Jul-20 19:02:15

An Aunt always gave me the most beautiful presents. Always kept to be opened last. At age 13 she sent me a very fashionable bracelet. I wore it to sunday school where one of the girls said "I think that's awfully pretty" I was very smug thinking that I was glad she didn't go to my grammar school as she would not have described it as Awfully pretty. I still have the bracelet.

Chardy Wed 01-Jul-20 18:59:26

My DiL has, in the past, bought me Christmas presents of a subscription. Last one was for a magazine - lovely. But the best one was a subscription to a monthly craft box. It promised to
'Nurture your creativity with a monthly craft kitcontaining everything you need to try your hand at a new fun craft project.' Truly wonderful

trollop8101 Wed 01-Jul-20 18:47:43

The xbox my son bought for me last Christmas. I cried when i opened it because he also bought me games for it which i loved years ago, it was lovely he rememberd. My grandchildren were so shocked that nana had an xbox and played games because im so old (im 58) apparently they now think im cool ?

tidyskatemum Wed 01-Jul-20 18:24:21

Puzzler61 the hot air balloon flight was a surprise, though a very welcome one. It was just frustrating having the flight cancelled so many times but it's just the luck of the draw. There were people on our flight at the first attempt and another couple who'd been cancelled 14 times!

Madwoman11 Wed 01-Jul-20 18:01:41

Dragonfly thank you

mande Wed 01-Jul-20 17:17:13

My best ever present was a bread maker 10 years ago from my daughter. It’s still going strong, I wouldn’t be without it! My grandchildren love the soft fresh bread!

Ellie Anne Wed 01-Jul-20 16:41:48

My daughter sent me a mini i pad some years ago and I thought what am I supposed to do with it? Now I couldn’t manage without it,
But I also love a plastic pooh and eeyore ornament my son gave me when he was young. It is stuck with blutack on the dashboard of my car.

annecordelia Wed 01-Jul-20 16:25:51

My best ever present was for Christmas when I was 14 - the triple live album by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I wanted it so much but knew it cost £10 and didn't think my mum could afford it. I was so happy!

Rosiebee Wed 01-Jul-20 15:39:18

My 60th was a bit of a wash out as I was ill so the following year DH organised a 60+1 birthday and took me to London for a weekend including a tour of the Houses of Parliament and the Cabinet War Rooms. Something I've always wanted to do. We had a lunch at one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants and saw Matilda at the theatre. My best ever present.

MarieEliza Wed 01-Jul-20 15:26:42

When I went away for the weekend I returned to find a second hand car on the drive. My husband and son got it as a surprise then washed it and made it look really special. I will never forget the look of joy on their faces when I first saw it

aonk Wed 01-Jul-20 14:54:33

I recent times my 2 best presents have been from DD1. She knows my DH and I love going out for coffee so bought us a small Nespresso machine for Christmas. Since lockdown we have used it everyday. She could never have foreseen how welcome it would be! Then on my birthday in May she gave me a beautiful leather cross body bag which again is perfect for my lockdown life. I use it all the time from going out for a walk to quick trips to shops. I take it everywhere instead of the large bag I used to lug round all the time.

Hymnbook Wed 01-Jul-20 14:45:42

My best present was my kindle for my birthday 2 years ago from my 2 sisters and my niece.

NannyG123 Wed 01-Jul-20 14:12:42

Having my son and daughter and their families turn up in ibiza, where I was on holiday for my 50th birthday. That was a brilliant present, and I don't know how they kept it a secret for almost a year.