Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(86 Posts)
12Michael Wed 01-Jul-20 06:15:09

Good Morning Everyone,
its dry , but shows signs of rain in the night here in Brackley this morning .
Anyway , I went to Buckingham yesterday and called in the cafe I use as regards to changes this weekend coming , anyway apart from getting a take away coffee I spoke to the owner ,and she explained that on arrival subject to maybe queing as well , you would shown a table , they would take contact details, and the person serving you when you order would be wearing a face mask .
On the other hand I had a email which supports a letter as regards to my coach holidays /excursions the main reason is the social distancing on those trips in the coach as to numbers .
Take Care ,
Mick

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Jul-20 18:01:31

What a surprise, GrandMattie. No, my Mother was raised in the Wye Valley, near Monmouth. Perhaps your Sis and my Mum were "one-offs?" grin. I'm going to look it up now.

grandMattie Wed 01-Jul-20 17:50:56

Grandmafrench, my sister used to use it. She lived in Manchester. Perhaps it's from that area?

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Jul-20 15:45:13

How I wish my old Mum was alive - she'd be in fits at this lovely word. She used to complain of being cold if she stood outside school in winter waiting for her GS to come out. She always said she was "shrammed". It never failed to make my children roar with laughter and I have never heard another person use that word.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 01-Jul-20 15:41:48

aggie. Most likely Glasgow, certainly very Central Belt. My mother was Glaswegian through and through.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 01-Jul-20 15:36:25

grandmafrench. Drookit means very, very wet. As in “I’m fair (very) drookit”. Very, very, very wet in nearly drowned wet. Nice emphasis on the oo. You get drookit in wet rain but not in drizzle.

Hymnbook Wed 01-Jul-20 14:40:29

Hello everyone. Don't normally post this late if at all. Met my sister outside our shopping centre to go to Tesco. First time I've been since all the shops reopened. No queues. A lot more people in the supermarket though. Had an appointment with my podiatrist on Friday which l have now cancelled. Too anxious to make the 30 minutes plus journey wearing a mask. Also no idea if the loos will be open. Will just have to keep doing my own feet. Hope everyone is having a good day. At least the weather is a bit better today.

Kalu Wed 01-Jul-20 13:59:34

Oh, there you are Ellan. Good to have you back among us?
As I have said many times, technology is wonderful...when it works?

EllanVannin Wed 01-Jul-20 13:46:43

Thankyou Susan and all those who showed concern It's much appreciated xx.

It seems that the hub I was using wasn't compatible for the fibre which is in full use in the area. Ironically a card stating this came through the letterbox yesterday but no explanation about some silly old bat sitting wondering why the internet won't work grin Anyway, it's supposed to do everything but make the tea now.

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Jul-20 13:45:30

Don’t you just love technology, Ellan.....can’t live without it, can’t throw it off tall buildings! Mmm, now there’s a thought,
Good of you to let all us Anxious Annies that you’re well. x

Susan56 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:23:54

Glad you’re ok Ellan?

Marydoll Wed 01-Jul-20 13:12:05

Great to see you back, Ellen. ?

EllanVannin Wed 01-Jul-20 13:02:24

Hooray ! Good Afternoon Ladies and Mick. x

Internet problems until now. It went off Sunday teatime and I'd done everything bar stand on my head to fathom it out. After ringing again before, I spoke to some kind soul who helped me put it right so I'm up and running again---with fibre grin

Sun's just come out after a murky couple of days and I'm sorry I didn't get any washing on the go but never mind.
I've really missed you all though so I've sat and wondered how everyone's doing.
I can see that it's Birthday Greetings to Bellasnanna x have a good one.

I'll have to have a proper read through to catch up but I thought it best to say that I'm still in the land of the living first grin Hoping everyone's well and managing to stay safe. xxI was thinking of Kittylester and Dragonfly in their areas and hoping they both stay well.

benjamina Wed 01-Jul-20 12:56:03

Just on my lunch break. Very strange this working from home lark - I usually just work straight through - but decided today to have a "proper" break and catch up on Gransnet.

Thanks to everyone for a friendly welcome and Birthday wishes - its actually tomorrow. When I read this morning it was Bellasnana's today and we are the same age it gave me the push I needed to join in! I have lurked long enough!

Another coincidence was the fact we were both in Gozo on our 40th birthdays - me just for the day as we were on holiday staying in Malta.

No real plans for tomorrow. DH playing golf in the morning if the forcasted rain stays away. Hopefully get a day in Lytham on our first dry day that I am not working.

Its lovely to hear about peoples lives in Spain, Malta & France - descriptions are great - I can imagine that gorgeous weather! I can dream!!

Its lovely to hear about peoples lives here too - there seems quite a few cancerians about.

Better get back to work now - no rest for the wicked - I must have been bad!

Mapleleaf Wed 01-Jul-20 12:36:45

Good afternoon everyone,

After a grey dismal morning, it's turned into a grey dismal afternoon plus rain. Quite muggy, as well.

Had to brave venturing into the local town to do some essential jobs, but certainly didn't linger and was glad to be home again, even though everything was well organised where I had to go and people around and about were keeping socially distant. Goodness knows how long it will be before I feel at ease going out and about again.

Welcome Benjamina and happy birthday. ?. I hope you continue posting on here - it's a friendly thread.

Birthday wishes to you, too, Bellasnanna. ? I hope that you are enjoying your day. A bit mixed for you, with memories of your sister. ?

Ironing beckons for this afternoon. If I don't make a start soon, the next lot of washing will be joining it!?

? to all who are feeling sad, lonely, unwell or anxious.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 01-Jul-20 12:21:05

Drookit, definitely a Scottish expression, I find the Scottish expressions are so much more expressive than English!

Grandmabatty Wed 01-Jul-20 12:16:56

Drookit means drenched through. It is a Scottish word. We had a local pub called the Drookit Duck. Very apt for Scotland! ☺

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Jul-20 12:12:02

Thank you aggie. How lovely, I shall remember that one - probably to baffle people with!

aggie Wed 01-Jul-20 12:10:34

Might be a Glasgow expression ?

aggie Wed 01-Jul-20 12:09:00

Drookit was a favourite word of my Mums , she used it to describe a person caught in a downpour, soaking wet !

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jul-20 12:06:41

Good morning all from a dreary Scottish Borders. We had a surprisingly nice day yesterday and visited the Botanic gardens on a special ticket before it is open to the public. Now we are in trouble from all quarters but mainly our DC for breaching the lockdown/shielding rules.

How come we can go out but can't see them? Oh dear this is going be a hard one to explain. There is nothing worse than being told off by your own DC.
I shall stay home and sit in a corner and knit for penance.

Happy Birthday Bellasnana flowers cupcake
I hope you have a wonderful day.

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Jul-20 12:05:09

In my list of (mostly Northern) unusual words that sometimes appear on this thread....I'm sure "drookit" is a new one for me.
Translation, please, Feelingmyage grin ? (I can guess that it doesn't mean "good")!

Feelingmyage55 Wed 01-Jul-20 12:01:54

Happy birthday bellasnana ?

Feelingmyage55 Wed 01-Jul-20 12:00:21

Good morning from a drookit north of Scotland (very, very wet). Tourist everywhere already and they are getting dreary weather. Paperwork to catch up on. I had to look “oomph” up in the dictionary - couldn’t remember what it was”. Can you get some online? Ah well, there’s always chocolate or 5 minutes of Tiny Tim on utube. Thanks to the gran who mentioned him.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:18:29

Good Morning all from Harrogate with it's non descript weather!
Happy Birthday Belladonna, you are the same age as my much younger sister!!
Have been having fun with my Roomba, it's like a little dog that frequently tried to get under my feet!! Will have to look at instructions to see if I can control where it goes. It keeps the dog amused, she can't decide whether it is friend or foe! It's just something to be barked at once in a while.

moggie57 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:17:21

Today a good day .had a good nights sleep.noisy neighbours gone very quiet with not slamming doors .fingers crossed.done washing .hang it out now .then some lunch.and back into charity shop for a few hours volunteering.then shopping to lidl.then home.more clutter to get rid of.somd a lot of stuff on facebook.got loads cat items to go now.no cat now..