Gransnet forums

Chat

what to do for the best.

(85 Posts)
Corryanna Thu 02-Jul-20 17:12:20

I'm not sure where to post this so hope it's OK here.
For my 60th birthday (18 months ago) I asked for an electric bike. I was delighted with it but fell off the first 3 times I was out with DH. Now I was thinking "Why didn't ask for some jewellery?" but I had the occasional trip to my Pilates class and some shopping (although it was so cumbersome finding a space outside the Co-op and locking it up!)
Fast forward to Lockdown and we've been out a few times (not as many as DH would like but he is an experienced, proper Cyclist who, give him his due, has been very encouraging with me, it must be very frustrating going at "touring speed"!) Well, no more- after fall no.4 today. My thigh will be black+blue, on it there's a hard about the size of a tennis ball and my elbow+lower arm is grazed. I ache when I move and cry every time I think of it (3 hours ago). I don't want to go out cycling any more. DH will be disappointed that we won't do that together. I know some ladies would tell their partners they were not doing it anymore and not make a big deal of it but I'm a bit of a "Pleaser" if you know what I mean. Any ideas?

Soozikinzi Fri 03-Jul-20 14:21:06

My husband had an electric bike he was really keen to get one did all the research etc . His DB and DSiL gave them it was a good one but he just didn’t get on with it . We sold it on no trouble did lose a bit on it but this was before lockdown . So they aren’t for everyone there’s no shame in that . To quit the chimp advert can you ride tandem! Or brisk walking together can’t get better exercise ? Then you and DH can have a bit of his own space when he goes biking ?

Juicylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 14:35:03

I hope you heal very soon. But I am puzzled why you keep falling off. I’m sure your dh will understand, surely he can see how dangerous it is if your falling off that often. I’m 64 and ride a normal bike for pleasure I’ve never fallen off.

GrannyLaine Fri 03-Jul-20 14:38:48

Would your husband consider a tandem Corryanna? Or perhaps you would rather give up on the idea of cycling altogether?

Corryanna Fri 03-Jul-20 15:20:35

Hi Juicylucy, I rode a bike to school and travelled miles with friends during school hols and don't remember falling off once. 45 years later I had this romantic idea of sunshine, bikes, picnic, and home all in a summer's afternoon and the two first short journeys were accident-free. A number of factors have wrecked my confidence (silly, I know) I fell off twice in successive rides, frightened by boy racers and anxious about/after lorries passing on narrow roads ( I was a passenger (aged 16), in a car which was involved in a head-on collision with a furniture lorry, the car driver died, I was badly injured and in a coma for 5 days. Sometimes all this comes back to me),where we live the roads are hilly, in bad repair and the stress outweighs the enjoyment. Going to stick to walking!
Corry x

Greciangirl Fri 03-Jul-20 15:20:59

Yes, good question.
Why do you keep falling of.

I always assumed it might be easier riding an electric bike.
After all: no pedalling.

Do you have a balance problem or maybe you were cycling over rough terrain.

welbeck Fri 03-Jul-20 15:32:36

it's not for you OP.
now just try to relax and heal.
maybe read up on co-dependence while you're laid up.
people pleasing is a large part of it.
all the best.

Juicylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 17:03:35

Corryanna
Those thoughts coming back to haunt you, can’t help. I think it’s time to sell it and try out a safer form of exercise and let dh go off on his own adventures. Hope you mend soon and try and work on how to stop people pleasing it will free up your mind.

Estrellita Fri 03-Jul-20 17:13:52

I am exactly the same. I can't help being a people pleaser so I know how difficult it is. I often look back at the times I should have said no, and some of them haunt me forever.

MadeInYorkshire Fri 03-Jul-20 17:32:13

SueDonim

You can buy (if they’re not out of stock!) electric tricycles. I had no idea such a thing existed until I saw one in my local town recently. They’re very cute and I’m almost tempted, as a non-bike rider.

jorviktricycles.com/tricycles/electric-tricycles

Good grief they are expensive!

Mine is very eccentric looking and half that price, wow!

Lucca Fri 03-Jul-20 17:36:18

Corryanna

Thanks for all thoughts. I keep falling off as I'm an anxious biker with skinny legs and the once the bike starts to wobble, I can't stop it falling over and my weak ankles can't hold me up. No hearing, seeing or thinking problem I'm just too weak. DH understands 100% how I feel and "Woman up!" was the best 2 words anyone could have said to me - thanks so much Lucca. Also, had there been a car coming yesterday, well, it doesn't bear thinking about.
I'm not going to rush to sell it, but wait till the 6" x 5" purple bruise on my thigh, my skinned elbow and stiff neck are better. Walking is a much safer option! Thanks for all the helpful thoughts and advice.

Thank you! I was actually worried that I might have been a little brusque there !

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 03-Jul-20 17:58:14

I also wondered why you keep falling off? That is not normal for a cyclist new or not. It is an excellent form of exercise and so enjoyable but obviously not to you any more. Do you think there could be some medical problem with your balance? I have cycled for years and yes come off 3 times in 55 years but lived to tell the tale!

Toadinthehole Fri 03-Jul-20 18:05:28

Sorry if this has been asked already. My husband and I cycle, not electric ones. Why do you keep falling off? I find I’m absolutely fine until I have to go through small gaps, or make sharp turns, and then feel my balance sitting down is not the best. I tend to catch the front of my trainer on the back of the wheel if you follow me. Never fallen off though. I don’t know about electric bikes. I understand you can go from manual to electric to suit your ability. If you’re not enjoying it, please stop. You could be risking your life. I am 60 as well if it helps.

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 03-Jul-20 18:10:13

Greciangirl - you do have to pedal an electric bike but much less than a normal bike. The power kicks in but you still have to pedal it to start it. Boy do I know, I cycled up the steepest mountain pass in history in Austria some years ago and really appreciated the electric kicking in but the battery gave up about a mile from the summit and back to good old leg power!

Toadinthehole Fri 03-Jul-20 18:11:38

My husband has just said electric bikes are much heavier because of the battery and motor. I’m sure you’d find a normal bike much easier ?.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Jul-20 18:16:55

My balance is not as good these days, so, although I still cycle, I use the off-road path network here and prefer to go alone, at my own (slow) pace.

I'm jealous of the local chap who has an adult tricycle - that's what I'd prefer, with no chance of taking a tumble!

Corryanna Fri 03-Jul-20 18:52:18

Thanks for all the concern re my balance - I am fine doing balancing exercises at my Keep Fit weekly task (better than some of the younger+older ladies+men who are there) it's just the weight of the damn bike and the size of it (it's extra-small due to my short legs) which knocks me off-balance! I was perfectly aware of this "problem" when it was pointed out before purchase, and it's ok along a straight bit of road, on a one-way street. I know a few people who have electric bikes and every one of them, bar none, has fallen off at least once.
I had to smile very gratefully mrsgreenfingers56 and give you a "thank goodness someone really understands my problem" thanks thanks hug! Everybody thinks that an electric bike means you can just sit there gaily peddling along without a care in the world, except for avoiding cars and potholes! Even with the assisted power you have to use good old pedal-power as you say.
Well done you for that Austrian trip - the scenery would have been beautiful and worth the effort I'm sure.

A positive out of all this saga is that Voltarol helps calm down bruises and takes the worst sting out of them, I'm glad we had a tube of that in the medicine cupboard! I hope not to have to need it for bike crashes again!

Madgran77 Fri 03-Jul-20 18:57:35

Have you had any cycling training? Most Local Authorities offer free sessions for cyclists and with the drive on cycling this is likely to be available? A cycling instructor would be able to help identify what is causing the falling off etc and help you gain confidence.

And I speak as someone who 10 years ago was terrified of cycling and now cycles all over the place, on busy streets and in the country. My husband was a cycling instructor after he retired from his long term career and he got many very nervous cyclists happily on the saddle. flowers

narrowboatnan Fri 03-Jul-20 19:27:01

If that was me who kept falling off my DH would have confiscated the bike by now!

JadeOlivia Fri 03-Jul-20 20:51:06

Had this sort of thing with skiing ..announced that I was giving it up after falls resulting in black and blue bruising. End of. Find something that YOU enjoy and let DH enjoy his cycling alone.

4allweknow Fri 03-Jul-20 21:22:12

I think you have been courageous thinking about going on the roads on any contraption. No way would I consider a bike,scooter whatever for the road these days. You have had 4 mishaps sustainin relatively light injuries up till now. Don't wait until you have a serious one and tell your DH how you feel.

Joyfulnanna Fri 03-Jul-20 23:08:43

OP, just tell him you have lost your confidence after your four falls. You need to be confident and relaxed to ride a bike.

jenpax Sat 04-Jul-20 09:34:28

Brave of you to even try cycling on our busy and very narrow roads! I am too scared to try!

GrandmaKT Sat 04-Jul-20 10:23:32

I am a keen cyclist and love my bike. I've come off a couple of times, but not badly injured fortunately! Recently I hired an electric bike, as we were staying in a mountainous region (it's very flat where we like, you can literally cycle for 30 miles without encountering a hill!). The electric bike, whilst fabulous for getting up hills, does have its drawbacks. It is very heavy, and if you mess up on the gears going uphill, it's almost impossible to get up enough momentum to get started again. I resorted to going back downhill for a while to gather speed.
I can absolutely see how the OP would struggle if she's not very strong and unused to cycling.
My advice would be to sell it quickly while bikes are in great demand and buy yourself a nice piece of jewellery!

Hawera1 Sun 05-Jul-20 21:39:24

I had the same problem as you. I replaced my electric bike with an electric trike and absolutely love it.

welbeck Mon 06-Jul-20 02:36:28

Toad,
I tend to catch the front of my trainer on the back of the wheel if you follow me.

sounds like you have your foot positioned too far forward on the pedal, that you are pushing down on your instep, like a piston, rather than having the ball of your foot ie the widest part of your foot on the pedal, which also helps ankling.