Gransnet forums

Chat

why have visitors just dumped THEIR rubbish

(12 Posts)
Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 12:35:42

No, we don't!

I see Plymouth is being promoted as a good place to visit as an alternative to going abroad.
Well, I love Plymouth and would like to visit but I'm not going yet.

Namsnanny Fri 03-Jul-20 12:31:58

I agree paddyanne

paddyanne Fri 03-Jul-20 12:00:40

But we DONT want visitors yet ,we're managing to get this under control and most of us want it to continue.We dont want hordes arriving and refusing to distance or wear masks etc .We certainly dont want the tons of rubbish thats been left in our area a well known and much loved beauty spot .What is wrong with people ?We've had 9 days out of 14 with no deaths ...we really dont want that to change in the wrong direction.

Namsnanny Fri 03-Jul-20 11:49:01

At Glastonbury you can leave behind your tent which is then collected by a charity.
Good idea, but perhaps it blurs the thinking about what happens to stuff when discarded.

I haven't made a very clear point there, hope you see where I was coming from!

Namsnanny Fri 03-Jul-20 11:46:08

There is such a different mind set now. Sounding like an old f**t going on about the past, but no o e seems to want to take responsibility for themselves - or their rubbish!
In fact why is a sign even needed? Its second nature to look after something we all enjoy for some of us. That includes taking our own rubbish home.

BTW I'm at the tip at the mo!grin

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 11:16:49

When it's all strewn along the roadsides then it's obvious it has been thrown from cars.

When it's left on the beach, in parks and beauty spots I can't understand why - people can manage to carry their stuff there but can't take their empties away, in some cases chairs, blankets, gas canisters, toys, bottles of suncream etc.

Squiffy Fri 03-Jul-20 10:47:50

On the road/s INTO the location and NOT on the way out! When its too late.

Exactly infoman! Of course, that's far too sensible for 'them' to have worked that one out!

A letter suggesting that to the local council??

Alexa Fri 03-Jul-20 10:41:05

Local authorities well know visitors are often in need of rubbish disposal (and adequate lavatories) If they want visitors they should provide for them, even if this means getting people to pay before they can use the park/beach/shopping arcade/public square/ public lavatory.

I don't know how to train messy people to be clean and tidy .

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 10:36:27

I could weep.

I dread to think what this country is going to look like when we emerge. Areas near us are littered all along the verges, this in an AONB.

Namsnanny Fri 03-Jul-20 10:30:31

So many places woods hedges unofficial lay bys etc. Are constantly filled with rubbish at the moment.
People can get away with it I suppose because of the staff shortages. No one to check up on fly tippers.

Just saw a man blithely throwing his fast food wrappers down on the pavement, without a care in the world!

Very entitled behaviour.

Grannybags Fri 03-Jul-20 10:20:51

I don't understand why it seems to have got so much worse since lockdown. I've never seen anything as bad as the parks and beaches that have been on the news recently.

infoman Fri 03-Jul-20 10:18:12

Can those responsible not take their rubbish home?
they have brought it to the location.
Why do we expect the local council to dispose of the rubbish?
The local council could help by putting up those LED portable displays run with a portable generator
Saying "take your rubbish home with you"
On the road/s INTO the location and NOT on the way out!
When its too late.