Gransnet forums

Chat

Lladro figurines and other things people used to buy

(128 Posts)
Freeandeasy Fri 03-Jul-20 17:27:42

When my friend was clearing out her mother’s house a few months ago before lock down she was amazed at some of the things her mother had collected over the years. Some were stashed away in cupboards that my friend didn’t even realise she had. My friend was saddened to find that a lot of the thing her mother had treasured- the tea sets displayed in cabinets etc. - were things she never used and things that nobody wanted any more. She couldn’t sell them on eBay or even give them away. Even some charity shops didn’t want them. My mum is the same. She has a display full of ‘good’ stuff that she never uses. I think that this is quite sad and a pity.

It reminded me of an ex-colleague who retired nearly 20 years ago. She invited me and some other colleagues to drinks and nibbles at her house. When I arrived I was astounded by the amount of ornaments/collectibles she had. Every single space in her moderately small semi was filled to the brim. She had glass cabinets full of Swarovski Crystal and shelves upon shelves of Lladro figurines. They were “ladies” if I recall at the time and they all had different names and it was the fashion to collect them. Different “ladies” came out every so often and some were even “limited edition”. Also, on the walls on the stairs leading up to her bedroom was a massive collection of country cottages. I have always been a minimalist and have never collected anything so I was amazed at the amount of stuff on display.

Coming back to Lladro, I guess it was the thing at the time to collect and to get the new “ladies” that came out every year. My mum is convinced they are worth a lot of money (she collected them too) but once, when I was visiting her at tea time, the television was on in the background. It was an old episode of “Cash in the Attic” and the lady was trying to raise some money for a conservatory. She was so upset when her treasured collection of Lladro was hardly worth what she had paid for them. The valuer lumped them all together at the auction and she was so disappointed to get so little for them. My mum couldn’t believe it either.

To get back to my ex-colleage. She is now in her early 80s and we still meet up from time to time as I sometimes take her shopping as her daughters live a long way off. She often invites me in and her house is exactly the same. I asked her one day if she got enjoyment from all of her “things”. She shrugged her shoulders and replied “not really, it was just something people did”. I found that sad. I believe you should only collect/keep things that totally bring you joy. The only thing I possibly “collect” are my Pandora charms. I never pay Pandora price and always get them from eBay. Some well meaning colleagues for my 60th birthday a couple of years ago got together and between them bought me a rose gold bracelet and three glitter ball charms - “because you don’t have a rose gold one!” The reason I didn’t was because I don’t like rose gold and didn’t want one! I suppose I could have maybe exchanged them but I didn’t want to - as I had built up my collection and didn’t any more. I genuinely appreciated the thought but sold them on eBay for £100. Of course, I didn’t tell them! I also remember my mum buying me a Swarovski Crystal hedgehog years ago. Remember them? They were usually animals and it was the thing to collect them years ago. It was a cute little thing with black eyes and stiff whiskers and my mum said when she gave it to me “you can start your own collection now!”

I suppose, like everything else, Pandora will go out of fashion eventually but I get genuine pleasure and joy every time I wear my bracelets. I have two - one with silver charms and a bangle with beads and have no intention of buying any more. Has anyone collected things over the years that they get genuine pleasure from or has anyone regretted collecting things just for the sake of it that now stay at the back of a cupboard? Just curious - as I said, I am a minimalist and my house contains no clutter. On the other hand, if your house is full of stuff you genuinely love, then that’s different. Horses for courses.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 03-Jul-20 20:32:55

sodapop

A friend of mine used to collect little cottage ornaments, can't remember the name but they were very popular at the time. A special one was brought out each year and there were collectors fairs where people could buy, sell and swap. Bugging me now I can't remember them.

I think they were Lilliput Lane weren’t they?

sodapop Fri 03-Jul-20 21:40:47

Thats the ones FoghornLeghorn thank you.

Dollymc2 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:50:29

What were those collectibles of collie dogs, ducks , sheep etc?
My DH's uncle bought us one for a wedding present, we used to put it on the bottom shelf of the telly when they visited and it was quickly returned to the upstairs drawer, as soon as they left
I realise that I'm not portraying myself in the best possible light on this thread ....

Dollymc2 Fri 03-Jul-20 21:54:46

annsixty, mam used to get them one by one from Kay's catalogue. She was so chuffed to get 'pink Elaine ',

Chewbacca Fri 03-Jul-20 22:14:27

My mother used to collect those fake Victorian dolls, she had dozens of them, some more scary than others. Some were dressed as housemaids or had little miniature parasols.

I used to have a neighbour who collected cruet sets. She had collected salt & pepper sets everywhere she'd been to for years and if she knew you were going somewhere she hadn't been to, she always asked if you'd find a pair that she hadn't got. Every wall, shelf, cupboard and windowsill was covered in them. Literally, hundreds of them!

grandma60 Fri 03-Jul-20 22:22:41

Sodapop I collected Lilliput Lane as well. They were quite expensive so I usually had them, for Christmas and birthday presents. For the last goodness knows how many years they have been in a box in the loft. I have seen them in charity shops for as little as 20p.

lemongrove Fri 03-Jul-20 22:36:59

The Royal Doulton figures were ladies in colourful crinolines I think? Isn’t Lladro Spanish, elongated people in whites and blue, very sentimental?
I don’t collect any one thing, but do have quite a bit of ‘stuff’ almost all presents from DH and the children and grandchildren, I treasure and enjoy seeing them, I don’t want a minimalist home, just a neat and tidy one is enough.
I suppose that in the future a few things will be taken by the family and the rest sold or given to charity.....I’m fine with that, I can’t take it with me.?

FoghornLeghorn Fri 03-Jul-20 23:18:14

Dollymc2

What were those collectibles of collie dogs, ducks , sheep etc?
My DH's uncle bought us one for a wedding present, we used to put it on the bottom shelf of the telly when they visited and it was quickly returned to the upstairs drawer, as soon as they left
I realise that I'm not portraying myself in the best possible light on this thread ....

We’re they Beswick? I once had a Beswick corgi.

Oldwoman70 Sat 04-Jul-20 07:58:05

I have a collection of Lladro figures - each one was bought for me by my late DH and evokes memories of holidays and happy times. They may not have any monetary worth but have great sentimental value for me.

I also have a dinner service which is now rarely used, but when we were younger we had lots of dinner parties and each time I look at it I remember the laughter and fun

Greyduster Sat 04-Jul-20 08:33:14

What were those collectibles of collie dogs, ducks , sheep etc

Border Fine Arts did collies, sheep and other country animals. A huge collection of them came up for sale at a local auction recently.

sodapop Sat 04-Jul-20 08:34:41

That's a shame Grandma60 that they are worth so little now. How quickly these things drop out of fashion.

Witzend Sat 04-Jul-20 08:43:43

Oh yes, the Capo di Monte stuff! Had the odd friend in the 80s who loved all that - personally I wouldn’t have had it as a gift.
That and Lladro were presumably a fashion at the time.

A dd loved little china things when still quite small - e.g. a pretty little miniature cup and saucer. She used to get them as presents - I dare say they’re all still packed away in our loft somewhere...?

craftyone Sat 04-Jul-20 08:46:35

I won a lady for 6p in a works draw and sold it a few months later for £60, in the nick of time I would say.

I think back to that royal albert tea set collection that I added to one by one, I think today it would be called `vintage` we did use it a few times, it was uplifting to use it then. It was during the terrifically difficuly austerity times in the 70s and 80s when I would smile at the end of the week if there was enough money left for prawn cocktail crisps, a bar of cadburys and a rented video. I used to wheel it all in on a trolley, small sandwiches too and the 5 of us would have what I called a `cosy evening`. It felt special having cups of tea pured from that fancy teapot and drunk from dainty cups. The AC remember those times today. I gave it to oxfam in 2005, when we downsized, oxfam because it went onto their online shop for decent money for them

Janetashbolt Sat 04-Jul-20 09:18:11

In the early 90s my husband worked in the Far East and we moved every 18 months, with two small children as well I got sick of bubble wrapping trinkets and got rid of them all. I have a large Japanese doll bought for me by the poeple he worked with in Tokyo which is too lovely to get rid of, everything else has gone. If I want a memento of any place I visit I buy cheap earrings (I losse the expensive ones)

Alexander05 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:22:51

Soda pop - was it Lilliput collection

BlueSky Sat 04-Jul-20 09:49:02

I've always fancied the Royal Albert tea set but never had the money to buy it. Anyway I guess I would have just displayed it in a glass cabinet as I wouldn't have dared using it in case I broke it. My DH can't stand any sort of collection being a minimalist, calling them dust collectors and I've now come round to his way of thinking. Similar items left by my MIL were sold for pennies or had to be given away to charity shops.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Jul-20 09:50:57

On the same subject of collecting things; does anyone subscribe to those collection of limited edition plates that you sometimes see in magazines, where you pay so much a month for each new release of plate?

Esmerelda Sat 04-Jul-20 09:53:42

I do love my collection of hand blown/made John Ditchfield glass ... it's still quite valuable I believe.
I'm also a sucker for original art or good limited edition prints.

fiorentina51 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:55:41

I don't collect anything as such but I keep various nik naks that have been given to me over the years.
Consequently, I have a rather weird assortment of things which are mostly in a small display cabinet or dotted about the house.
Each of them is a memory so it gives me pleasure.
Having said that, lock down has given me the chance to have a good sort out so my collection is a lot smaller than it was.
Good job really as I'm not a fan of clutter.

Moggycuddler Sat 04-Jul-20 09:57:19

Our house is full of wacky vinyl Funko Pop figures of superheroes and TV and movie characters, collected by our 35 year old daughter who lives with us. They are cute, but left to myself I don't think I'd collect ornaments or anything like that. Too much trouble to dust! I collect cds and some dvds that I love, but nothing that isn't functional. Except for just two very realistic models - of a tortoise and a frog, which I love!

Alexa Sat 04-Jul-20 09:57:34

I used to half heartedly collect Pendelphin rabbits. I still like Pendelphin rabbits and deplore the cheap imitations of the real thing. But I do succeed in keeping my little place free of clutter now, and this fascinating thread has spurred me into giving my flying gannet to the charity shop.

TwoWolves Sat 04-Jul-20 09:58:18

My Mum isn't too bad - she prefers to get rid of clutter and just keep a few ornaments. My dad is a bit of a hoarder, though.

My poor kids, though - I'm mad on hares and have dozens of ornaments, statues, pictures - originals and prints - even clothes - all featuring hares. Books are my other downfall - I have hundreds of them. Some worth pence, some worth more if they can sell them on ebay - but it's all the trouble they'll have to go through to get rid of it all. At the moment, I can't part with any of it.

ChrisK Sat 04-Jul-20 10:12:01

It is a shame about all these 'treasures', of course one persons treasure is another trash and forever will be, also the sentimental element plays a huge part. My DH mother came from the potteries and many of the family worked for J Wedgwood (pleaseNB no 'e') and he amassed a vast collection, we want to downsize, our 2 sons and family don't want to know so gradually selling on Ebay and putting the proceeds towards a cruise for our 50th anniversary in 2 years time with their approval!

Aepgirl Sat 04-Jul-20 10:15:50

I used to collect frogs, and country cottages, and still have them but they are in boxes. After lockdown I am going to give all the cottages to a charity shop.

Molly10 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:17:11

Wow, little cottages now that is a blast from the past. I used to hand paint David Winter cottages. Lilliput Lane and David Winter both finished in 2002, I believe.

I don't choose to collect things I buy myself but keep anything bought for me so have a few bits and bobs mentioned.

I have to say there is still a market for Capo Di Monte, so don't chuck them.