Gransnet forums

Chat

First time waking up alone on my birthday

(62 Posts)
Justwidowed Sun 05-Jul-20 08:59:03

The first time today in my entire life 77 years to be precise.It feels strange but the first times are always the worst.This morning I put my husband's birthday card from last year out on the fireplace.I've opened all the cards from family and friends and am expecting my GD and GGD later today,plus an old friend who's warned me to only have a light lunch.How do you think you would cope alone plus Covid ?

Justwidowed Sun 05-Jul-20 18:37:33

Thank you all for your good wishes and thoughts,especially other widows in a similar situation. I lost my second husband two weeks before our first anniversary. I had children at home then so that helped plus I had only known him for 2 years.I met my present husband 9 months later and married him 9 months after.We had been married 37 years so I think it has hit me harder.
I have a far better day than I expected.Messages from Grandchildren and phone calls, a visit from Granddaughter (only short as GGD was fast asleep in the car).
Then a longstanding friend came with an afternoon tea from a large supermarket, it was lovely.We were both very impressed with the contents, I will try to attach a photo. We reminisced and laughed and I feel so much better after her visit.
I know the first time for everything will be difficult but things will get easier and you never forget,I still remember my second husband's anniversary and birthday.

Billybob4491 Sun 05-Jul-20 17:57:11

I do hope you have a happy birthday. My husband died a few weeks before my birthday/wedding anniversary this year, its hard going some days, but I have wonderful support from my family and friends, so I count myself blessed.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 05-Jul-20 17:54:20

Much love on your birthday Justwidowed, and to all the others on here suffering bereavement.

I am sure it must be especially poignant on anniversaries, rememberIng times together, but there are so many good wishes to you flowing from here and a few useful links to helpful websites also.

bikergran Sun 05-Jul-20 17:38:31

Hope you can enjoy your day the best you can.

Legs55 Sun 05-Jul-20 15:50:17

Yes all the 1sts are difficult, 7 years ago I had my 1st Birthday without DH, July 2013, I went to a NT Property in Dorset, I lived in Somerset then, somewhere I'd always wanted to go, looked round, had Lunch on a beautiful sunny day. I didn't want to spend the day at home on my own.

If lockdown had been in force I would have sat in my garden & relaxed on my own. Yes it does get easier, no you never forget them but try to focus on the good times. Best Wishes for your Birthday & may you have a lovely day flowerscupcakebreworcafeor maybewine

tinaf1 Sun 05-Jul-20 15:34:44

? ? ? ? Happy Birthday

sharon103 Sun 05-Jul-20 14:46:35

Have a lovely birthday. flowers xxx

Kim19 Sun 05-Jul-20 14:34:53

77 not out. Well done you. Enjoy your birthday ?

4allweknow Sun 05-Jul-20 14:15:57

Your day will be different. That doesn't mean you won't enjoy it especially with visits from your GD and GGD. Happy Birthday Justwidowed.

granbabies123 Sun 05-Jul-20 14:06:18

Happy birthday. Enjoy your day as best as you can. You must be loved very much by family and friends. Best wishes

Molly10 Sun 05-Jul-20 13:58:33

Happy Birthday flowers cupcake brew

Scotwap Sun 05-Jul-20 13:44:38

First time for everything is the worst
Eg.’’’ Birthdays, anniversaries, Xmas. It does get easier
Try and have a nice birthday

craftyone Sun 05-Jul-20 13:38:56

Happy birthday flowers

My birthday is most definitely the very worst time of the year, it was the day that belonged to me, when I had the most attention, when I was taken out, given a present by my husband. You will learn to live with it, personally I (used to) go somewhere for the day, national trust or somesuch and have lunch out. This year I made sure I was very busy, doing nice things at home. Once the day is over, then it is another tick in the box for another year

moggie57 Sun 05-Jul-20 13:38:37

I always put out my mums birthday card to me that she gave me before she died in 1998.i wake up every morning by m
yself..happy birthday.hope you have a great day.

MarieEliza Sun 05-Jul-20 13:33:18

Love and hugs, remember the special memories you have ??

Babs49 Sun 05-Jul-20 13:31:15

The Way up link does not work.

jaylucy Sun 05-Jul-20 13:20:50

A very Happy Birthday to you !
I had that when I was divorced - husband had moved out, so there was just me and my baby son. The rest of the family (being in Oz) were away for their summer holidays.
I did have a phone call from my aunt in the UK and my parents had rung the day before , but it still would have been nice for someone to come to my house!
Difficult during this time too when you can't really arrange to go out for lunch with a friend.
Sometimes it's nice just to have a chance to remember on time past - so I hope that you have a bottle of something nice to open . Hope that things are totally different this time next year!

brook2704 Sun 05-Jul-20 13:11:41

Happy Birthday justwidowed have the best day you can with your family around you ❤️??

Juicylucy Sun 05-Jul-20 13:09:37

Happy Birthday hope you have a special day x

Lupin Sun 05-Jul-20 12:17:25

My sympathies on your loss and my best wishes to you for as good a birthday as possible. I was very touched by your message.
I hope your day goes well.

EllanVannin Sun 05-Jul-20 12:16:48

Enjoy the day as best you can Justwidowed. flowers x

tinysidsmum Sun 05-Jul-20 12:15:43

Happy birthday xx

JaneRn Sun 05-Jul-20 12:10:21

Justwidowed. Wishing you a happy birthday hardly seems appropriate but I am sure for you it will be happy but in a different way than it was before. I was widowed five years ago and although one never forgets, the pain does get a little easier once you learn to use each anniversary as a remembrance of the happy years together, and feel grateful for them.
Love and best wishes to you.

oodles Sun 05-Jul-20 12:07:25

lots of love and happy birthday x flowers

Squiffy Sun 05-Jul-20 12:06:36

Happy birthday justwidowed. I hope you will be able to enjoy it despite it being so different this year.