Gransnet forums

Chat

Meghan for President??!!

(127 Posts)
Namsnanny Sun 05-Jul-20 15:33:43

Not so out there as it initially seems if Kanye is up for it too!

H&M have big ideas for themselves, or so it seems.

I read a week or two ago, that H&M's people were looking into the knotty problem of have access to a title and keeping US citizenship. Its been on and off the agenda since before the wedding.

According to the law you cant have a title and be a US citizen, and you cant enter into politics if you aren't an American citizen.

So if I understand this correctly perhaps H&M are aiming higher for their future careers?

Well it worked for RReagan, and Clint Eastwood and less well for Swarzineggar!

It would be a natural progression given the 'platform' H and his connections have obligingly supplied.

M has made it no secret that she wants to position herself at the forefront of public life.
What could be more in line with this wish than being in politics?

From H's point of view being a minor royal 4th in line, with all the constraints of protocol, dont compare with the glamour or financial rewards of being the husband of the first female President.
Even a senators life cant be all bad. At least you get to call the shots.

Makes sense of all the peculiar things she/they have done in my mind.
The only thing that doesnt fit is saying they want to stay clear of the press, then courting them!

Maybe it that's initially what H wanted, a life free from intrusion, but changed his mind when he saw the benefits of supporting his wife's ideas?
Perhaps the court case is more about controlling the press now and in the future, than simply protecting their personal lives?
Maybe it was a misjudged manipulation of information by M? After all her friends leaked the letter.
Who knows? I certainly dont!

But watch this space, I think M&H think they are the next Kennedys!

Anniebach Thu 09-Jul-20 21:23:20

Big difference in telling your grandmother face to face to doing so on national television.

Give up the title, give up the money, give up the bolt hole Frogmore , then criticise .

merlotgran Thu 09-Jul-20 21:00:29

Sorry, trisher. Wasn't thinking straight.

trisher Thu 09-Jul-20 20:53:19

You asked me about my grandson merlotgran and I replied as such.

merlotgran Thu 09-Jul-20 20:35:59

He's already grown up, trisher

Although I do wonder sometimes.

Bossyrossy Thu 09-Jul-20 20:02:59

It always amazes me that with so many good and clever people in the USA they can’t come up with better candidates for president. Megan and Harry are, I’m sure, lovely people but they are not what America needs right now. Right now America needs another Obama - male or female, to get them out of the mess they’re in and put them back on track to be a positive example to the rest of the world.

Anniebach Thu 09-Jul-20 19:57:44

Harry isn’t Independant

trisher Thu 09-Jul-20 19:48:00

Why would I be merlotgran? he's entitled to his opinion. In fact I hope he grows up to be independent and outspoken.

merlotgran Thu 09-Jul-20 17:41:03

Wouldn't you be a bit upset if your grandson announced to the world that he thought your views were out of date, trisher

The video was about the Commonwealth itself of which he seems to have very little knowledge despite being made president of the Commonwealth Trust youth organisation.

It was not about the Queen's views or opinions but would have hurt her because the Commonwealth is something she cares about.

Anniebach Thu 09-Jul-20 17:28:11

Your are not ‘head of the commonwealth’ trisher so haven’t
appointed your grandson a role within the Commonwealth.

trisher Thu 09-Jul-20 17:03:30

I would hate, should I live to be 94, to think that anyone regarded me as a "poor old granny", or that my children and grandchildren wouldn't tell me or explain things to me if they thought that I had some ideas which were out of date, or held opinions they wanted to challenge.

merlotgran Thu 09-Jul-20 16:57:57

I too was jumped on by suggesting that Meghan always looks good in photographs and 'wears it well' in terms of fashion thanks to her skin tone.

You didn't have to dig around much to realise it was a compliment but some refused to see it that way.

Sparklefizz Thu 09-Jul-20 16:53:23

Toad You say "I've never noticed Meghan's 'race' .....
and I agree with you. Neither have I.

When I said a few weeks ago that I don't pay attention to anyone's skin colour, I was "shouted down" on GN and called a racist!!! In actual fact, the person was implying I was a liar. Hope you don't get the same treatment.

Toadinthehole Thu 09-Jul-20 14:55:59

I’ve never noticed Meghan’s ‘race’. She has a lovely skin colour, unlike Donald who’s just orange! I often think the people in high places are not fit to be there, but someone has to do it. I can’t see why it would matter a jot now after Trump. He’s shown that these jobs really can be taken by anyone at all, no qualifications necessary.

maddyone Wed 08-Jul-20 19:32:02

Maw
Brilliant posts. Hear, hear.

Meghan for President, well you never know, the Americans elected Trump.

Anniebach Wed 08-Jul-20 18:57:55

The man’s an idiot, the Commonwealth is so important to his
Grandmother and his father.

He makes videos about sorting the worlds problems, his brother speaks to health workers, to young men about mental
health illnesses, to teachers, to small businesses.

merlotgran Wed 08-Jul-20 18:39:30

Whoever it was came up with the nickname, Harryward the Woke was spot on. grin

quizqueen Wed 08-Jul-20 18:32:51

Harry is actually 6th in line for the throne, not 4th. I'd prefer to vote for Kanye West than Meghan!

FoghornLeghorn Wed 08-Jul-20 18:22:10

I think that Allison Pearson has hit the nail on the head. How embarrassing for him though that despite having been Commonwealth Youth Ambassador he doesn’t know the difference between the Commonwealth and the British Empire. Shameful.

I really think that he has been managed by the BP publicity machine very effectively for years and it’s only now he’s stepped outside this that we can see how truly unintelligent and entitled he really is.

Sparklefizz Wed 08-Jul-20 12:13:47

Brilliant MawB ... I love the Allison Pearson article you've quoted. Thanks for sharing.

merlotgran Wed 08-Jul-20 11:09:12

When Harry and Chelsey Davey were very much an item he was quoted as saying he couldn't wait to move out of the UK and would love to live in Africa. When that relationship ended he seemed quite happy to embrace his British roots once more. His next girlfriend being English might have had something to do with it.

Having given Canada a brief try out he's now he's in LA with his American wife. hmm

I don't think he's ever going to be satisfied with his lot and will soon tire of somebody else pulling his strings.

MawB Wed 08-Jul-20 10:58:47

I also agree with Allison Pearson (same Tory rag grin ) when she says (much better than I could)
Meghan and Harry are always calling for more “awareness”, a quality the couple seems to sorely lack. Even a whit of self-knowledge might have suggested the following :

a) Possibly not a good idea to weigh in on white privilege when you are His Royal Highness Henry Charles Albert David, the Duke of Sussex, The Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel and have benefited from unearned privilege since the day you were born. Basically, your ancestors have been oppressing people since the Norman Conquest. Say nothing.

b) You were supposedly thinking of living in Africa to do some good for your causes. Instead, you ended up in an $18 million (£14 million) mansion on the Beverly Ridge Estates in Los Angeles. It is quite a diverse community, with a lot of non-white people watering the gardens and cleaning the pools.

c) This makes you look spoilt and vacuous and is not the ideal base from which to lecture others on equality and social progress. Oh, and doing all your Zoom calls in front of a plain adobe wall is fooling no one.

d) On your marriage, HM thoughtfully made you president and vice-president of the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust youth organisation. Perhaps consider how a 94-year-old might feel before publicly criticising one of her life’s proudest legacies.

e) That bit about wanting a quieter life and not seeking the attention of the dreadful, intrusive media? Still a good plan

merlotgran Wed 08-Jul-20 10:46:44

I agree with every word of that, Maw. Harry is confusing Commonwealth with Empire. There are currently 54 members of the Commonwealth. It's post imperial and no country is forced to belong.

He would do well to reflect on the Commonwealth's achievements rather than hinting that it is responsible for so many past problems.

How disloyal and hypocritical he is turning out to be.

MawB Wed 08-Jul-20 10:12:04

From today’s DT, Harry Mount writing about H&M’s Commonwealth Trust comments.

But then along come Harry and Meghan, zooming from their Los Angeles megamansion to young leaders from the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust. They spouted the universal modern message that undermines so many great institutions – one that shrieks, “We are all guilty.” The Commonwealth, said the Sussexes, “must acknowledge the past” even if it is “uncomfortable”, as they discussed historical injustice, unconscious bias and racism highlighted by the Black Lives Matter movement.
There is a problem with Prince Harry speaking out like this. He has rejected his official royal status – although his HRH title is still there, in abeyance, waiting to be switched on to full-beam if he wants. And so he is free to say what he wants about politics and the Royal family. But, still, he is only granted the position to speak out because of his former royal status So he is having his cake and eating it :taking advantage of his former royal position and his current über-celeb berth to bite the hand that still feeds him – quite literally, as it is Prince Charles, the next Head of the Commonwealth, who has subsidised the Sussexes.
You can see the temptation to speak out. Prince Harry must be going spare, rattling around his LA mansion, with no official duties to carry out, deprived of the opportunity to use his God-given ability to sympathise with those suffering in these Covid-struck times.
As lockdown ends, I’m sure he will revive that ability – most admirably seen when he set up the Invictus Games. But, until then, he should cut back on the bleeding-heart, We-Are-All-Guilty Zooming. And give his poor 94-year-old granny a break.

Furret Wed 08-Jul-20 08:18:29

CleoPanda

Good for Meghan.
Is this a celebrity bashing thread? Good job I don’t know the names of any.

Meghan is always good for a bashing on GN

Lucca Wed 08-Jul-20 07:16:41

Anniebach

Good grief can she talk, she doesn’t pause for breath , he is so
out of his depth

Why shouldn’t she talk ? Should she just sit and simper respectfully as her husband talks ?