Gransnet forums

Chat

Chemists charging for delivery

(25 Posts)
monk08 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:54:35

According to the adverts Lloyd's give free delivery.

Esspee Sun 12-Jul-20 08:48:22

I'm in Scotland and my local pharmacy will order and collect my prescription and, if I was unable to collect it, they do deliver. No charge (even for the medication).

Pittcity Sun 12-Jul-20 08:34:18

Boots are cutting staff and optician branches. They are in a bit of bother.
Some people think they are superior to other pharmacies but they are just more expensive.

welbeck Sat 11-Jul-20 19:24:58

it is common for them to be delivered free, at least to disabled people.
and what about those over the internet ones, with mail delivery. could you try those.
the moral seems to be avoid boots.
i saw a tv programme a few years ago about the great number of errors in dispensing from boots. some very serious.
an insider said it was because since an american giant had taken them over they were cutting the number of pharmacists and expecting them to do impossible workload.

FlexibleFriend Sat 11-Jul-20 16:06:53

I order my prescriptions online and the surgery send it electronically to Pharmacy2u and it arrives a few days later via Royal mail at no cost to me.

Pittcity Sat 11-Jul-20 15:27:42

I get mine from Superdrug online and it comes via Royal Mail. They deal with the surgery. Costs me nothing. They claim the NHS fee.

glammanana Sat 11-Jul-20 12:52:01

I have a repeat prescription sent every month from my Doctors to my local Pharmacy then delivered free 2 days later,they are so friendly and always ask if I need anything else apart from medicines.

ninathenana Sat 11-Jul-20 12:46:14

Works the other way for us Chewbacca. I have to e-mail my GP with the repeat request they then e-mail my chosen pharmacy. The pharmacy then text me to say when it's ready for collection. I've never asked for delivery, I just pick it up with my supermarket shop.

Many years ago I worked for a family run pharmacy. Part of my job was delivering scripts, which was a free service.

Alishka Sat 11-Jul-20 12:27:19

chewbacca , similar set up here smile

Alishka Sat 11-Jul-20 12:25:26

GrannySomerset

Presumably delivering prescriptions is a cost to the pharmacy involved? They are businesses after all, so perhaps free delivery is a bonus rather than a right.

Our pharmacy is paid (council, nhs? dunno) BUT they certainly make an income from holding and dispensing my script, in fact when I moved here I got quite a few "pick me!" flyers.
And is it really a 'bonus' to deliver to severely disabled peeps like me? I'd thought it was a sign of a civilized society, but fully accept I may be wrong...

Chewbacca Sat 11-Jul-20 12:14:48

Free in Cheshire. And if I phone or email the pharmacy, I can ask them to reorder a prescription directly from my GP practice and deliver it when its ready. A one stop shop!

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 12:04:20

Not that I get anything delivered because I don’t have any prescriptions, but if I ever did ...

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 12:02:51

I pay Sainsbury’s to deliver so why not the chemist?

grannysyb Sat 11-Jul-20 11:40:30

In southwest London, we don't have to pay for deliveries, if I were you I would change pharmacists as soon as the others start taking new people.

EllanVannin Sat 11-Jul-20 11:20:58

Free delivery here too for the last 15 years, same family chemist. They are so good as well with lovely staff.

GrannySomerset Sat 11-Jul-20 10:37:36

Presumably delivering prescriptions is a cost to the pharmacy involved? They are businesses after all, so perhaps free delivery is a bonus rather than a right.

GagaJo Sat 11-Jul-20 10:05:41

Not surprised at that in BSE. Everything is at a premium there. Have you tried the budget chemist in the square? Starts with S.D.?

Alishka Sat 11-Jul-20 09:54:21

In Birmingham. Free delivery from my local pharmacy who hold my script. They use a pensioner so it must be a nice supplement to his pension. Such a cheery man.

BBbevan Wed 08-Jul-20 15:16:25

We are in Wales too, so free delivery. Excellent pharmacy and delivery man.

Ilovecheese Wed 08-Jul-20 13:59:36

Free here in Manchester from our local chemist

Katyj Wed 08-Jul-20 13:58:38

Yes we’re paying £55 a year from boots here in West York’s. I’ve tried to get them free delivery from other chemists but their not taking any new customers at the moment. Mum wasn’t very pleased about it, but it makes my life so much easier one thing less to think about.

tanith Wed 08-Jul-20 13:45:54

Free for me too in Ealing.

Charleygirl5 Wed 08-Jul-20 13:43:09

I live in NW London and at the moment it is free.

Rosalyn69 Wed 08-Jul-20 13:34:17

It’s free here in Wales. Miserable delivery man though.

millymouge Wed 08-Jul-20 12:38:38

Just wondered if anyone else pays for delivery from their chemist. Just moved to Bury St Edmunds and registered with a new doctor. Where we lived before I just ordered our monthly prescriptions from the doctors surgery and they were delivered to us by a local pharmacy free of charge. I was told by the surgery that some chemists were making a small charge which I quite understood but going into one of the larger pharmacies this morning (begins with a B) was told,it was £5 or I could pay £55 for a year. Surely folk on a pension who can’t get out would find this a lot. An independent chemist said £2 which I thought was reasonable. Has anyone else come across this??