Gransnet forums

Chat

21y old Brooklyn Beckham announces his engagement to his ‘soulmate’ of 9 months.

(61 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 11-Jul-20 17:14:43

Good luck to them.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present the bride and gorm.

He’s never had a job, flunked is expensive education. What could possibly go wrong?

Happygirl79 Tue 14-Jul-20 18:42:58

I wish them all the happiness in the world
They are young but sometimes people can make it through

maddyone Mon 13-Jul-20 20:16:14

Actually I totally agree with you TerriBull. I still wish them well, as I would wish any young couple well, and I hope they succeed in their marriage. However I most certainly don’t admire the way the Beckhams have brought their children up and pushed them into the limelight at every opportunity. Plenty of famous people keep their children out of public view to enable them to grow and develop without the pressure of being constantly in the public eye.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 18:29:49

Ellianne ??

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 18:29:02

Actually I think splitting News from Politics is a good idea. I wonder why they were joined?

JenniferEccles Sun 12-Jul-20 18:24:53

Maybe some feel the Politics thread should be left to discussions on more cerebral subjects like Brexit !!!

I see that topic has been resurrected with us all expected to remember what Andrea Leedsom may or may not have said four years ago!

We’ve left!

Ellianne Sun 12-Jul-20 16:56:02

Maybe we should have a heading "Gossip" Urmstongran! grin
I liked the comparison with Vincent Terribull.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 16:22:15

Thank you Terribull for your validation of my thread. I um’d and ah’d about putting it under ‘news’ and decided ‘chat’ might be more suitable for lightweight froth ...
?
As I said, the kind of talk amongst women friends (sorry for the generalisation but most men I know would skip this bit of news in the paper) in a group discussing what’s caught their eye.

TerriBull Sun 12-Jul-20 16:09:06

I don't blame Urmstone for creating a thread about this non news, why do we have a title for "chat" self explanatory really. There was actually a short paragraph in the Sunday Times about it today.

Quite honestly it should have passed un noticed, why are he and his sibling celebrities, because their parents have made them thus. Seemingly they all appear to have a higher profile than the royal children. In many ways it isn't fair they could never have made an informed choice about that. Everything in their world seems to be reduced to a photo opportunity, so much so during the lock down, an easel was set up in a field in the Cotswold home of the Beckhams for young Harper, could there be a more contrived situation, I imagine one of the staff carted the damn thing out there so she could be briefly posed by it giving the impression she was about to embark on a Van Gogh like marathon. Couldn't help thinking if Vinnie's mother was around today and set up little Vinnie's easel with the same expectation via Instagram with a "there you are get painting the sunflowers" he may well have incised his ear a lot sooner! or just merely mumbled something along the lines of "For God's sake ma can't you let me sit on a wall and pick my nose/scratch my bum/squeeze my zits for just 5 minutes without you hovering over my shoulder expecting me to produce something for your followers" shock Must be hellish for the kids when everything they do is displayed on social media and all their musings reduced to sound bites.

In many ways in exposing their kids to the scrutiny they do, they are setting them up for a fall. Everyone knows Brooklyn dropped out of his university course because there was much hoo hah via the media when he went off to New York to start it, as there was when he came back a year later having decided it wasn't for him. After all he's only what a load of his contemporaries do, but of course he's the public failure and in a way they are not letting him develop into his own person, sometimes that takes quite a lot of time, more so these days.

The parents set up opportunities for a book of his photography to be published, when clearly he wasn't up to the task, but again he was barely out of his teens, the book was subsequently rubbished as amateurish and then he gets an internship with a top photographer, which no other drop out could possibly achieve and somehow it was leaked that he didn't know the basics. The Beckhams are the worst exponents of conspicuous nepotism and indulgent parenting. Child prodigies don't grow on trees, they are by definition exceptional, they can't be created by throwing money at a moderate talent. It would be far kinder if they had allowed their brood to grow up out of the spotlight and away from murmurings of "never actually achieved anything/lives off parents money/doesn't have a job etc" we shouldn't know all about them. This marriage will be under similar scrutiny if it goes tits up, which frankly again may be the likely outcome of a marriage for someone of 21. Two very expensive weddings aside won't guard against it failing, if that happens to be the case, not saying it will, but Liz Hurley could probably tell him a thing or two about her two weddings and a separation that wasn't close behind either of them.

That's not to say an early marriage can't work, bearing in mind the testaments from the GNs who have gone the distance, fantastic! Possibly you and others were cut from a different cloth and previous generations were not only more grown up at 20/21 they no doubt had more sticking power. Some take a long time to grow up these days. Nevertheless to come out the other end and to still be happy is certainly a big deal!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Jul-20 15:02:14

Brooklyn Beckham is a photographer I believe.

I wish them a long and happy life together, do not envy them the press intrusion which will follow their every move though.

Ellianne Sun 12-Jul-20 14:07:44

He appears to have done a bit of modelling himself, usually in publications associated with Vogue. ( I think that Anna Wintour, fashion editor, is a friend).
Romeo is more model material.

merlotgran Sun 12-Jul-20 13:41:15

isn't he the one that is a model ?

Nah! That's the next one down, Romeo.

jaylucy Sun 12-Jul-20 13:09:16

Bit of a sweeping statement!
How do you know that he has never had a job - isn't he the one that is a model ?
I can see that there are a few that got married at 20 on here - they obviously picked the right one - unlike me!
Quite honestly, none of anyone's business when any one's son gets engaged or married (unless he is your own) and why assume actors don't live in the real world????
I just wish him all the luck in the world if it works, it works!!

sarahellenwhitney Sun 12-Jul-20 13:08:12

Urmstongran
grin grin grin.

Callistemon Sun 12-Jul-20 13:04:13

annodomini

Just think - perhaps in the next few years we can invite 'Posh' to join Gransnet. grin

grin

Fernbergien Sun 12-Jul-20 12:22:33

Have a good day Joanna

luluaugust Sun 12-Jul-20 12:12:01

I was 19, OH 23 but it was a very different world for a start we had both been at work for some years. Will it last well who knows? Good luck to them

Ngaio1 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:10:05

I couldn't care less. Nothing to do with me. Cannot understand why this would be of interest with the exception of both families.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 12:09:13

Very clever annodomini ‼️
Maybe next year?

annodomini Sun 12-Jul-20 12:08:10

Just think - perhaps in the next few years we can invite 'Posh' to join Gransnet. grin

glammanana Sun 12-Jul-20 11:49:07

I hope they are very happy together all the Beckham children seem well grounded to me,it is not their fault they have been born into such financial security for the rest of their lives.

granzilla Sun 12-Jul-20 11:36:53

I was 18 and boyfriend 21 when we got engaged in 1971.
It's our 45th Wedding Anniversary next week. smile
But I don't think I'd have been too pleased if our kids had done the same < oh the hypocrisy > blush

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 11:28:47

Oh god Hithere you are po-faced this morning: Urmstongran
May I ask why this is your business?

It was an article in a newspaper. News items often generate comments, negative or positive, in discussions with my friends when we meet up. You know - it’s called having a chat about things in general. Jeez.

Hithere Sun 12-Jul-20 01:39:48

Congratulations to the couple!

Urmstongran
May I ask why this is your business?
Are you paying for the wedding, giving them your blessing?

Who made you the judge to decide what age and conditions are acceptable for getting engaged in this decade, 50 years ago or the 22nd century?

May7 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:25:29

Ahhh Young lust love you just cant beat it can you. Best wishes to you Brooklyn

Mouseybrown60 Sat 11-Jul-20 23:10:20

I met OH when I was 15 & he was 17; married him when I was 18. Still together after 48 years. Loads of ups and downs, quarrels, squabbles etc., love him more now than ever. Good luck to them.