Gransnet forums

Chat

Face Masks in shops

(341 Posts)
LindyB Mon 13-Jul-20 10:08:23

How do other readers feel about wearing face masks in shops? We are fortunate enough that our daughter who lives nearby has insisted on doing our food shopping for us and what with the odd delivery we have not needed to go into a shop since lock down. I realise that we do need to start going out to shops soon, keeping as safe as we can. I was quite relieved when it was announced on Friday that Boris Johnson seemed to hint that wearing face masks might be made mandatory as Scotland and many other countries have done. I then heard Michael Gove say that wearing face masks should not be mandatory but rather should be worn to show good manners. My question is surely good manners do not come into it if I wear a face mask to protect others, surely I should be able to expect the same from everyone else to protect me. I know that face masks are not the only preventative measure but surely anything and everything that helps should be done.

lizzypopbottle Tue 21-Jul-20 10:55:35

Looking at today's promotion on the GN Daily page, the face masks, promoted, average out at approximately £7.70 each! Good grief! I could make a fortune selling my own hand made, washable masks! Mind you, the retailers promoted in the advert include some pretty expensive clothing brands. If people can't make their own or can't afford to buy, at that price e.g. pack of three from Boden @ £20, it's to be hoped there are readily available, cheaper masks out there and that people know how to find them!

PamelaJ1 Mon 20-Jul-20 19:24:42

Well I have just completed my first day at work.
Gave up on the visor/mask combo. I bowed to GaGajo’s knowledge and kept the mask.
It is interesting that every client asked me if I wanted them to wear a mask. When I went to the hairdresser I just had mine on, no question.

varian Mon 20-Jul-20 18:44:14

Let's just not forget that all the warnings previously derided as project fear have turned out to be accurate forecasts.

Franbern Mon 20-Jul-20 16:41:30

Do not think we should start a new project fear and panic with that projected death toll. Need to keep all things in proportion. There are always thousands of extra deaths each winter, just not publicised.

Whilst I refused to lock myself away at all, tried as far as I could to continue my life these last months I always wore a face mask when doing my weekly supermarket shop - out of respect for other people.

This morning went to local Sainsbury and about 90% of the shoppers had face masks on. Surprised this afternoon, when I popped into local Home Bargains store, and I was the ONLY shopper wearing one.

I do not wear it when I am out of doors. Comes off as soon as I leave the store/shop

Saetana Mon 20-Jul-20 16:32:45

The possible 120,000 deaths from a second wave (if we get one) is absolute worst case scenario - ergo its far more likely there will be a lower number of deaths. I also think seasonal colds and flu will be reduced due to social distancing and more frequent hand washing/sanitising. They are going off the fact that colds and flu resurface every winter - but that does not necessarily mean covid-19 will also do that. SARS and MERS died out on their own - lets hope covid-19 will do the same.

Promising news about a vaccine under testing here in the UK - we might have that rolled out a lot quicker than previously thought. I believe a vaccine is the only way we are ever going to get fully back to normal - without having to wear "face coverings". I have to go on a bus tomorrow for the first time in weeks - not looking forward to it as its bloody hot wearing a mask in this weather!

Lucca Mon 20-Jul-20 15:36:13

Totally agree Maybee (and that’s nothing whatsoever to do with her political stance or mine )

Furret Mon 20-Jul-20 15:21:00

MayBee70

Esspee: that’s because Scotland has a leader that explains to people in a grown up way why they need to wear masks.

Exactly. Absolutely. Spot on. Correct.

MayBee70 Mon 20-Jul-20 15:15:19

Esspee: that’s because Scotland has a leader that explains to people in a grown up way why they need to wear masks.

BlueSky Mon 20-Jul-20 14:04:09

Greeneyedgirl grin I was surprised to see them on Amaz** in pretty pastel colours!

Esspee Mon 20-Jul-20 13:48:56

Just back from my weekly shop. There was 100% mask compliance by shoppers though staff in some stores were not wearing them. (I’m in Scotland where the stats are much better than England)

Greeneyedgirl Mon 20-Jul-20 13:48:21

BlueSky........long journey........ ?visits with hazmat could be tricky shock

GagaJo Mon 20-Jul-20 13:41:40

I admired him for it, and told him so. We're all responsibile for keeping ourselves safe and he took every precaution possible. If I could fit into a hazmat suit (or know where to get one AND tolerate the claustrophobia) for my public transport use, I'd do it. 2nd wave is predicted to kill 120,000.

BlueSky Mon 20-Jul-20 13:38:06

That could be an idea GagaJo the full hazmat gear so I can board a plane to Oz! smile

Greeneyedgirl Mon 20-Jul-20 13:34:30

Crikey Gagajo grin.

I think visors are better than nothing if you are, for some reason, unable to wear a mask. They must provide some barrier from direct droplets, but suppose the little buggars can sneak in around the edges.

GagaJo Mon 20-Jul-20 13:28:46

Visors only stop splatter. Masks stop ( or at least reduce) you breathing in OR expelling germs. Nothing is foolproof unless you're in full hazmat gear. As a man was on a flight I took a month ago.

PamelaJ1 Mon 20-Jul-20 11:52:16

I’m also confused about visors. Better than masks or useless?I’ve read articles in newspapers that say one thing or another but there doesn’t seem to be a consensus of opinion.
I’ve tried to use both but it’s really difficult. I. Going to try the washing up liquid option this afternoon.
Hats off to those in the NHS who manage to work with al, their clobber on.
I have tried to discover how long the virus is active on fabric but haven’t found any useful information about that either.?

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:28:55

I’ve 3 cotton ones seacliff and I wear one a day,
wash one a day,
and keep one in a sealed plastic bag in my car.
I’m unsure about the use of them too.

seacliff Sun 19-Jul-20 17:24:44

With cloth masks, when you get home you remove it carefully and wash your hands. Should you then wash it before next use? 60 degrees I understand.

Or, can you leave it somewhere, say spare room, untouched for several days, to decontaminate, if that is possible.

And use a 2nd mask in interim. I know the virus stays on different surfaces for different lengths of time. I am just not sure what to do.

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:22:52

My gut feeling is that more people would comply if there was one clear message - but we all seem to be confused ? Well, I know I am jane .

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:20:04

I mean back at the time of WW2

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:19:27

Caught off guard? More manufacturing in GB at the time? More compliant citizens? No Internet to spread all sorts of theories and ideas?

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:13:37

BTW my question is in no way related to what political party are currently in power - so no rants about Boris please ?

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:12:13

Does anyone else feel it’s strange that the last historical episode where so many lives were lost was WW2
- and I believe the government issued gas masks to all.

During this pandemic we are all trying to do the best we can with little guidance of what’s best - surgical masks, cotton masks, face scarves, masks with filters, triple layer cotton masks. Why have we been left floundering like this when it’s so important ? ?

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 15:03:59

Alexa I'd have thought a dampened face mask would be less effective.

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 14:58:17

Excellent shop window message GrannyNW.
Gets the message across - and I’ll be singing it all day now!