Gransnet forums

Chat

Foolish supermarket purchase

(88 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Mon 13-Jul-20 15:04:00

Got my delivery today and instead of 4 bananas, I'd ordered 4 packs - (5 in each)! Grr.

Now trying to find other recipes as well as banana bread!

I realise I should compulsively check each shopping list!

I also mistakenly once ordered 22 leeks instead of 2 but the supermarket phoned me up to check, as they were huge. Two of them filled one carrier bag and they said that they thought they were going to have to put on another van, just for my order. grin

Charleygirl5 Wed 15-Jul-20 18:53:19

I now ask for no substitutions but Morrisons still sends subs. At least I have a warning via email what they are going to send. I ordered strawberries with single cream- no cream so I received orange juice.

grannypiper Wed 15-Jul-20 18:09:00

Off subject slightly, i was was waiting on the man bringing my click and collect order at the supermarket yesterday and the lady in front was returning a pack of potato scones she had been given in place of the new potatoes she had ordered !

CarrieAnn Wed 15-Jul-20 17:16:30

One of Iceland's customers must have been cross when my order arrived,as I was unpacking it I found 5 large stuffed crust pizzas &3 two kilo bags of different types of chips.Struggled to get into the freezer.Rang and told Iceland and they said keep them for free

MawB Wed 15-Jul-20 09:02:15

Dinahmo

Make ice cream. One tin condensed milk, one carton of double cream (similar quantity to the condensed milk) Whip the 2 together then ad mashed banana and mix. Pour into a carton and freeze. No need to take of the freezer and stir. The last batch I made was with a jar of home made marmalade. The next batch will have a jar of my homemade apricot jam. The flavouring can be almost anything that you want. You can also substitute the condensed milk for the version that is cooked and salty. It looks caramelised in the jar.

This is one of my favourite types of ice cream .
It is also brilliant with a bag of thawed out frozen summer fruits whisked through it (some puréed, some left whole) or with lemon curd, lemon zest and a slug of Limoncello, or with mushed up raspberries and crushed pistachios.
I want to try the marmalade version - but.....it is so moreish!

GreenGran78 Wed 15-Jul-20 01:42:26

ShewhomustbeEbayed. My best ‘weird win’ was a years’ supply of milk, in a competition held by our local newspaper. I assumed that it would be vouchers for a local dairy, until the lady phoned to tell me I had won. Could I collect it as soon as possible, she said, because it was clogging up her office. It was hundreds of cartons of long-life sterilised milk, which we all hate. It filled up all my boot and back seat.
I gave some away to friends and neighbours. The rest I sold to our local corner shop, at a bargain price.

I had some good laughs at all the online shopping stories, especially the solitary sausage and sprout. They make me glad, though, that I always shop in person, the old-fashioned way.

Seefah Tue 14-Jul-20 19:50:24

Frozen bananas instead of ice cream are great! Just mash up the slightly thawed banana yum on a warm day! We make banana milkshakes with slight touch of cinnamon. I love banana sandwiches for breakfast occasionally and have done since I was three! Or bananas on toast. Bananas are the one food if there was global disaster I don’t think I could live without ! In fact I’ve got plans to grow my own if needs be.

V3ra Tue 14-Jul-20 17:48:49

I book my Tesco delivery slots for a few weeks ahead and put one item in the basket to hold it. Nearer the time I make up the full order for what we need.
Recently I spent a weekend doing a lot of gardening and realised too late I'd forgotten to complete the Tesco order.
The following morning the delivery driver arrived with one box of tonic water cans: £3.99 plus £4 extra charge for a small order. Oops!
He kindly suggested he'd say we weren't in and the order would be cancelled, no charge ?

Bijou Tue 14-Jul-20 17:44:20

I heard once that someone ordered tampons and received a screwdriver!

ShewhomustbeEbayed Tue 14-Jul-20 17:12:57

I love competitions and once won 7 Systema food storage containers, when they were delivered there was 7 x 7 packs of storage containers ! I was giving them away !

aonk Tue 14-Jul-20 17:00:44

It’s not a food item but my most ridiculous substitute at the onset of lockdown was antiseptic cream. I had ordered antibacterial cleaner!

Greciangirl Tue 14-Jul-20 16:50:02

Same here.
I ordered a bottle of mouthwash last week, and thought it was on special offer because of the low price.
The actual bottle was tiny. Handbag size.

I’ve only just started navigating my way around online shopping with click and collect. It’s a bit tricky and I always forget to order something. Wish I’d discovered it a lot sooner though.

mrswoo Tue 14-Jul-20 15:55:04

My go-to breakfast at the moment is banana mashed with fat free quark topped with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries and a bit of honey. The best bit is that its Slimming World friendly as apart from the honey (1 syn per teaspoon) it's all "free". Try it, its delicious.

Tedd1 Tue 14-Jul-20 15:33:38

Loving the banana recipes!

Dinahmo Tue 14-Jul-20 15:31:17

Make a v shaped groove along the length of the banana. Put chocolate buttons along the length. Wrap in foil and bake or put on the barbecue. i love these but my OH detests bananas so can't be bothered making them just for me. I'll eat my homemade ice cream instead.

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 14-Jul-20 15:00:29

Never will l shop on line. I simply do not trust myself, but as to the bananas......
Put them dry and unpeeled onto a grill pan.
Grill them until the skin turns black (doesn't take long), turn them over and grill the other side.
Place them on a shallow bowl and slit their bellies open, then pour in some Banana Liqueur, onto the hot banana.
Followed by a good application of fresh cream into the open skin, and if you really want to go for it, a dollop of ice cream on the side.
Eat with a dessert spoon, and start planning your diet immediately..... ?

Tee1 Tue 14-Jul-20 14:30:40

Don’t feel alone. On my first Sainsbury delivery I ordered 4kilos of bananas instead of four bananas - lots of banana bread and happy neighbours!

Callistemon Tue 14-Jul-20 14:11:22

I've made icecream like that, Dinahmo but not added flavourings, just vanilla essence.
Next time I'll try that.

Callistemon Tue 14-Jul-20 14:10:12

Ordering groceries online gets me in a real tizwaz.
I suppose when wandering around with a trolley in the olden days, you could see exactly what you had picked up.

I nearly cancelled last week's order by mistake instead of adding to it.

KnittyNannie Tue 14-Jul-20 13:55:06

Mauriherb. Now we know where all the toilet rolls went! ?

Dinahmo Tue 14-Jul-20 13:46:03

Make ice cream. One tin condensed milk, one carton of double cream (similar quantity to the condensed milk) Whip the 2 together then ad mashed banana and mix. Pour into a carton and freeze. No need to take of the freezer and stir. The last batch I made was with a jar of home made marmalade. The next batch will have a jar of my homemade apricot jam. The flavouring can be almost anything that you want. You can also substitute the condensed milk for the version that is cooked and salty. It looks caramelised in the jar.

KerryS Tue 14-Jul-20 13:36:12

Alishka - it wouldn't have been so bad, but we had 5 kids and the order was a very big one, as 5 teenagers eat an awful lot, so I have no idea what may have been going through their mind with the solitary sausage!! Ha ha!
And substitutions?!!!! Last Xmas I ordered 6 tubs of ready made turkey gravy as there's a lot of us and I'm dreadful at gravy, but they substituted it with 6 of the largest Chicken Bisto granules. That, I thought, was overkill, but luckily you don't have to accept substitutes, so I returned 4!
When the kids still lived at home, my husband offered to go shopping for a couple of things we were out of, including carrots, and when he came back he gave me a bag with 2 carrots inside!! 'Well, that's enough for one child, what about the rest of us?', I said!!! I learnt that day, always to give him exact instructions!

Alishka Tue 14-Jul-20 13:24:26

@ MawB gringringrin

Alishka Tue 14-Jul-20 13:12:46

Real tonic, this post! maggic s solitary sprout reminds me of the time I made a similar mistake - it was for Christmas lunch, we all love sprouts, so I cooked our one, scattered a few almonds (fished out of a bag of mixed nuts) over and served it up with a flourish and much ceremony. That Xmas is always referred to as The Christmas of the Sprout.grin
And then the single sausage? I wonder if the picker got a mental image of a little stooped over penshner carefully counting out her pension to pay for her shopping (I may be over-thinking this, cos this mythical penshner has iron grey hair scraped back into a bun, steel rimmed glasses and a floral pinny. Poor love's got varicose veins too..)grin

MawB Tue 14-Jul-20 13:11:01

My best (worst) ever and I apologise if you have heard this before was several Christmases ago when I put together a huge Ocado order well in advance to be delivered on the 23rd
At some point I decided I wanted to add things to it so I went onto the site to “Edit” my order and could not find it anywhere I panicked because there was no way I could do a big pre-Christmas shop on my own and we were going to be 14 or more on the day. There were no more delivery slots available before Christmas so I thought I would just try Waitrose and to my huge relief there was a slot for something like the 22nd so I put together virtually the same order as I had for Ocado, and relaxed
On the Sunday before Christmas, my Waitrose order arrived,
Good
Blow me, the next day there was a ring at the door and the Ocado man was there with my original order!
I could have opened my own shop with all the mince pies double cream, smoked salmon, brandy butter, potatoes, alcohol, soft drinks, Brussels, carrots, satsumas, cranberries, eggs, croissants etc etc etc.
Fortunately it was a cold Christmas so the veggies could all go into big plastic boxes in the garage and I had two fridges and two freezers, but even so, we were eating “Festive Fare” until the end of January!

HootyMcOwlface Tue 14-Jul-20 13:07:15

At wrk I ordered a ball of string from our central stationery store for our office. I was expecting something the size of a satsuma but it was the size of a football! We couldn’t stop laughing!