Gransnet forums

Chat

Protective gloves when shopping

(118 Posts)
kittylester Thu 16-Jul-20 10:12:56

What is your opinion?

Lots of people seem to be wearing them when out and about but it seems pointless to me.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 23-Jul-20 14:14:30

All mine have 60 - 70% alcohol too grannysue05 but yes, they do just state antibacterial prominently.

grannysue05 Wed 22-Jul-20 15:13:42

Oh thanks Grannynannywanny. I love your name.
I will check now when i put my shopping order in.
A weight off my mind.

Grannynannywanny Wed 22-Jul-20 14:10:18

grannysue05 I’ve found any I’ve bought in the supermarkets are 70% alcohol. I began to doubt myself there but have checked 3 from Aldi, Morrisons and Tesco and they are all 70%

grannysue05 Wed 22-Jul-20 13:15:32

Please forgive me, but I was under the impression that hand sanitisers were anti-bacterial and therefore not much use against a virus.
I know that sanitisers with more than 60% alcohol content are effective against the virus but most on general sale do not contain anywhere near that amount.

Keffie12 Wed 22-Jul-20 11:19:07

I wore gloves the first few times I went to the supermarket after lockdown. I wasn't happy wearing them. I also wore a facemask from the begining of lockdown.

I wasn't happy re gloves because of the eco side. I then seen an article about why gloves were pointless so I stopped using them.

I carry hand sanitiser. I also use the spray and hand sanitiser at the supermarket entry too. I also use the hand sanitizer bottles placed around the supermarket

Once I am out of the supermarket I sanitize hands again and when I get home.

I take the mask off when I have done with shops and stick it in a separate bag for the wash when I get home

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 21-Jul-20 15:53:42

Never worn them.

I wash my hands as I go out and when I come in and again after putting shopping away.
Use the sanitisers outside shops and as I walk around them. Some I’ve been into, where you can pick items up to look at, have extra dispensers dotted around.
I carry a bottle of sanitiser in the car as well. Use it before I take my mask off.
I personally think gloves would cause me to worry more.
I’m also very anti regarding throw away plastics.

Wear a mask every time I go into a shop.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 20-Jul-20 17:44:16

We are becoming overwhelmed with plastic again.

I can remember the threads on here when posters were, quite rightly, criticising the use of cling film, plastic bags, wrappings and so on. Now the use of plastic gloves has increased exponentially.

Of course it is necessary for some, particularly medics to wear
disposable PPE, but I think if we don’t need to wear disposable gloves, I would rather not.

Apparently they are finding discarded PPE washing up in the sea sad

Eloethan Mon 20-Jul-20 17:15:39

The person wearing gloves may well be protected but surely, because they are not worried about touching anything and because they are unlikely to be washing the gloves on a regular basis or applying sanitiser, in my opinion, they are a risk to everyone who is not wearing gloves.

Furret Mon 20-Jul-20 07:33:13

Gloves will no more spread any potential viral particles than will your hands. If you feel safer wearing them then do so but treat them as you would you’d hands viz. before removing them wash thoroughly or with hand sanitiser.

Just remember, as with your hands, you might have touched things like your car keys, door handle, steering wheel, etc..

And, again as with your hands, avoid touching your face or mask.

allybongo Sun 19-Jul-20 18:35:39

gloves spread the virus.. carry a small sanitizer attached to your bag or clothes so you can clean your hands after every contact..
if you are wearing gloves , even just in a shop you are spreading the virus .. please please dont ..
the nhs , phe and who have all advised against wearing gloves ..
would you like a nurse wearing the same pair of gloves that she has used to treat the previous patient to then treat you!!
the virus does not move .. wearing gloves will transfer it
and most people i have seen wearing gloves then remove them incorrectly and then they have the virus on their hands ..
if you could actually see the virus on your gloves would you carry on wearing them !
please dont wear them just sanitise your hands .. not your gloves as the sanitiser breaks down the intregity of the material thus creating mini holes ..
a face covering does not protect you but it protects all those around you ..

Daftbag1 Sun 19-Jul-20 13:49:09

I have horrendous eczema on my hands. With all the additional hand washing and use o f gels and sprays, my poor hands are literally bleeding.

I wear the gloves on top of cotton ones to protect me and others. I use sanitizer as usual but on the gloves.

Tweedle24 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:18:03

Lulubelle. If you wash your gloved hands as you would wash bare hands, that is fine but, I have watched people just wearing the in and out of shops, cats etc. I wear my Marigolds indoors for some things but, wash them while still wearing them.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 18-Jul-20 12:36:28

If you sew your own masks, they don't ride up.

I use hand disinfectant rather than gloves.

Magrithea Sat 18-Jul-20 09:32:04

Don't wear them and lots of people feel that by wearing them they are protecting themselves and others but if not used correctly they are useless.

I took my DGC on the bus this week and two half hour bus journeys in a mask on a hot day were horrendous! I can't see people wanting to shop wearing a mask!

Shropshirelass Sat 18-Jul-20 09:28:57

I did at first but not now. They made my hands sweaty and itchy. I managed to get some hand sanitizer so use that often instead. I do wear a mask all the time though and have done from day one!

twiglet77 Fri 17-Jul-20 23:27:58

I don't wear gloves when shopping, nor for work on a supermarket checkout. I wash my hands with soap immediately before sitting at the till, and as often as practical during the shift, and use hand sanitiser before and after every single customer. Sweaty, sticky gloves are awful, I like my hands to look clean, feel clean, be clean. We have a selection of sanitisers for staff to choose which they prefer, though I've always taken my own in my pocket anyway.

Any item on the shelf in a store could have been touched by multiple people, from the supplier to the transporter, the people stocking the shelves and the customers picking things up to read the labels or check dates on fresh produce. None of it gets washed in the process. Just don't eat or touch your face during shopping, or on the way home if you don't have sanitiser in your pocket or your bag, wait until you can wash your hands thoroughly at home.

I don't buy loose bread because it is exposed to the public as well as our bakery staff, and it only takes one revolting person to squeeze a loaf to test its freshness, not to mention children at the same level as the bins of baguettes with the tops all open. Yuck.

I do wear rubber gloves to put diesel in the car though. And I always wear a mask for shopping anywhere, or getting fuel.

Atqui Fri 17-Jul-20 21:49:22

I only wear gloves to get petrol. Carefully remove them before closing the tank and going in to pay.

dizzyblonde Fri 17-Jul-20 19:29:58

Your skin is an excellently designed barrier against bacteria and viruses. No need for gloves, sanitising gloves compromises their integrity and puts the wearer more at risk.

curlz Fri 17-Jul-20 19:16:46

People have been coming into the shop where I work today with masks on and then removing them by pulling them down when they come to my counter , what’s that all about ?‍♀️We accept cash but we have been advised not to use gloves but to wash hands or use sanitizer between customers

Greeneyedgirl Fri 17-Jul-20 18:24:59

I’m wondering about the evidence for washing/wiping shopping compared to not doing so. Some of my friends do, others don’t. None of them have had covid as far as they or I know.

I know that the virus can last for quite a while on different surfaces but I’m thinking there would be a lot more infections in people who haven’t been out and about if it was that risky.

I do wipe my shopping btw.

Franbern Fri 17-Jul-20 18:12:34

I am so surprised as how many people seem to wash their shopping. Hear of people using wipes on their tins and other packages. I have continued going to weekly supermarket shop throughout. Have always worn a mask - out of respect for other people. Do use supermarkets sanitiser to wipe down trolley. Take mask off as soon as I leave the shop Would not dream of wearing gloves (except in winter months), as I feel that skin is far safer than plastic covering on hands.

As soon as I get home, I wash my hands, unpack shopping, put it all away - then wash my hands again. Do not sanitise the shopping. Obviously, always wash my hands prior to preparing any food.

Have got one mask with a transparent part over mouth. But usually use the disposable blue/white ones.

bikergran Fri 17-Jul-20 17:52:48

Working on my checkout I have some people come through wearing all kinds of gloves.

The state of some of them leave a lot to be desired!

One of many customers came through today with grubby/filthy latex type gloves.

Putting card in machine and tapping away at the digits.

I always just say to the next customer, I am just wiping the keypad whilst you load your shopping, which they seem quite grateful of.

I myself do not believe wearing gloves helps, I personally think its spreads more germs.

Eloethan Fri 17-Jul-20 16:57:00

I think unless everyone wears plastic gloves, they may actually contribute to the spread of viruses.

If you wear gloves for a prolonged period and in different environments - on public transport, in shops, etc, etc., they may protect you but they put others at more risk. You get on a bus, touching the handrail as you get on and off, you push open a door to a shop, you handle goods in a shop, you pay at the cash desk, etc, etc. Each touch represents an opportunity to contact the virus - but then, instead of cleansing your hands regularly, you go on to touch many other surfaces wearing your potentially contaminated gloves.

If you are not wearing gloves, you can use a sanitising gel or wipes at various points of contact (many shops now provide sanitising liquid at the door and in various locations round the shop). This obviously won't eliminate every possible instance of touch contamination but at least it reduces it. Gloves make wearers unconcerned about what they touch and so every potentially contaminated surface they touch is transferred to their gloves and from their gloves to other surfaces - and potentially onward to people not wearing gloves. I saw a home care assistant in our newsagent the other day - with her mask and gloves on, picking up various items and putting them down, handing over cash, etc. If she had just been to see her client, she was putting others at risk, if she had not seen her client, she was putting her client at risk.

I have felt the same about the use of gloves in a business non-virus situation, eg when handling food, making sandwiches, etc, etc.

Jayne16 Fri 17-Jul-20 16:44:56

No, don't wear them. Virus spreaders!

Joesoap Fri 17-Jul-20 16:25:26

I wear them if they are provided, some shops have a box of them inside the door,I use them and dispose of them in the waste paper bin in the shop,I sanitize my hands in the car, and wash my hands on returning home,am I being hysterical or OCD?