Gransnet forums

Chat

Holidays with friends - have they been successful?

(7 Posts)
Humbertbear Sun 19-Jul-20 09:11:06

We have had many long weekends away with friends over the years. Usually with the same couple and we often booked European tours with a group so there were other people to talk to if we wanted. It also gave us other people to talk about! Other weekends away with various couples have been to specific places. We’ve never been faced with the ‘what shall we do today’ discussions. I wouldn’t do a two week holiday with another couple but we really miss the trips we used to make friends when we were younger

Oopsminty Sun 19-Jul-20 00:08:20

Nope. My holidays are just for me and Mr Minty

Never gone away with friends and never would

annep1 Sat 18-Jul-20 23:33:27

I have only done short breaks which works well and is fun. I would find a longer holiday with friends tiring and stressful.

J52 Sat 18-Jul-20 22:56:11

We’ve had a few successful holidays with long standing friends. It helps to rent a property larger than your needs, so everyone has space.
The rules are, your own car/ travel arrangements. An agreed sharing of food costs.
When we and a couple of other families rented holiday homes, we’d decide on a couple of daily activities, so not everyone had to do the same thing. Evening meal was planned and those who got back first started the cooking.

BlueSky Sat 18-Jul-20 22:25:35

Again no. We like to do our own thing, not follow others and likewise. As they say two is company, three is a crowd.

Gingster Sat 18-Jul-20 22:19:52

Yes. As long as you have your own time and do your own thing. Get together for lunch, dinner and evening entertainment.

Dinahmo Sat 18-Jul-20 22:08:32

Having read the post about holiday with in laws I thought I'd ask about holidays with friends.

We've often be away with various friends and over the years I've developed a list of what I expect.

1. For each couple to have their own transport.

This arose because we rented a house in Italy with two friends and we had driven there whilst they flew. This meant that they were dependant upon us for taking them out and about. This was fine, except they didn't get up until about 10.00am. Their normal working day started with them getting up at 5.30am to get to work in London. We were usually ready to go out by about 9.00am so we wasted time.

2. To only go away with friends who enjoy their food and wine.

Nothing worse than being with people who are weight watching and/or abstemious.

3. To have a communal purse to which everyone contributes the same amount so whoever is going shopping takes the purse. Replenish the purse as necessary.

In case you're wondering, I have over the years discussed my wants with friends and they have tended to agree with me.