Gransnet forums

Chat

Why is it so difficult to close the freezer drawers?

(32 Posts)
Daftbag1 Sun 19-Jul-20 13:56:13

Today I took 2 salmon steaks, quarter bag mussels, 1 white fish filet, handful of prawns, Apple tart, and 2 large chicken thighs from a full freezer, so how come it's really hard to close all the drawers?

NotSpaghetti Wed 22-Jul-20 11:03:47

...and when the drawers and runners are clean!

NotSpaghetti Wed 22-Jul-20 11:02:58

I think AGE is wrong.
Mine are still difficult when half empty.

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 01:06:13

Unfortunately that won't be possible, as I tried to ease the drawer in with my foot, kicked it in a temper and broke it so it adds to the list of things wrong with my fridge freezer.

Callistemon Sun 19-Jul-20 22:39:24

MissAdventure

I have removed my drawers. smile

grin

There is a knack to putting the drawers back if you take them out to wash them.

It is a knack I have never acquired.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Jul-20 21:56:44

From the AGE website:

This issue is caused by food that is touching the shelf above the drawer, or by the guide rail being dirty or obstructed.

Hats off to MissA for being closest!

MissAdventure Sun 19-Jul-20 21:54:40

I have removed my drawers. smile

Chewbacca Sun 19-Jul-20 21:53:57

That's as good a hypothesis as any MissA grin

MissAdventure Sun 19-Jul-20 21:52:24

I think the space where the drawer pulls out fills up with peas.

NotSpaghetti Sun 19-Jul-20 21:07:24

I struggle to get drawers back in too. My husband takes even longer than me.

Is there someone on Gransnet that knows for certain why?

Sussexborn Sun 19-Jul-20 21:05:23

Next time you defrost it try rubbing glycerine over all of the surfaces. Next time you need to defrost the ice comes off in chunks once it’s been switched off for 20 minutes or so.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Jul-20 20:45:56

Does anybody else dread that time when you have to empty the chest freezer out and scrape all the escaped peas and sweet corn out of the bottom? Hate doing that job!

Coolgran65 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:42:43

I have a chest freezer and when I go for something it is an adventure. !!

jenpax Sun 19-Jul-20 20:14:24

Ooh a proper grown up dinner? I am staying with DD3 and 3 small children so meals are more centred around pasta and cheese. I love spicy foods especially Moroccan and Mexican also Thai, Indian, all Italian, Turkish (so basically food!?) and am looking forward to going home and cooking these lovely dishes agsin??

Daftbag1 Sun 19-Jul-20 19:47:51

Dinner tonight.......

For us humans a puff pastry parcel of salmon, prawns and mussels with a tbsp creme fraiche with parsley and sumac a drop of lemon, and salt & Pepper, served with new spuds, carrots and asparagus, followed by Apple tart and creme fraiche.

Dog had the chicken, a few mussels, and the white fish with grated carrot

All yummy and no soggy bottoms!

Chewbacca Sun 19-Jul-20 18:00:49

I used to have a chest freezer but it was an absolute pain to get anything out of the bottom of it. I've hung upside down in that thing more times than I care to remember!

Welshwife Sun 19-Jul-20 17:36:31

I think stuff which remains in the freezer sometimes moves and has a bit sticking up - I often need to shuffle stuff around. My freezer is a self defrost - such a boon - and the sides of the drawers are a strong plastic with handle cut into the sides - handy if the dryer is heavy.
When I had my chest freezer I could NEVER find what I wanted however recently I had put it in!
My bottom drawer never goes in easily but it is shaped - DH says because the motor is behind it.

Marmight Sun 19-Jul-20 17:22:31

I understand this absolutely. Bottom drawer of my small under counter freezer never slides back properly & I usually end up on my front swearing profusely while wiggling the the wretched thing from side to side and up & down. Grrgh

Chewbacca Sun 19-Jul-20 17:05:22

I think it's because the plastic sides of the drawers become brittle and inflexible when they freeze. So when you draw them out, they start to soften up and become more pliable because they're beginning to defrost. But because the sides of the freezer are still rigid and frozen, the drawers don't slide back in because one is deep frozen and rigid and the other is pliable. Hence they "jar against each other". This is what I think happens but I really don't know!

annep1 Sun 19-Jul-20 16:44:16

I know exactly what you mean. They are so awkward. I have been known to kick the bottom drawer.

Tweedle24 Sun 19-Jul-20 16:14:31

Please, not pleas

Tweedle24 Sun 19-Jul-20 16:14:14

May I come to dinner, pleas, Daftbag1? That menu sounds scrumptious

Callistemon Sun 19-Jul-20 15:20:07

Fish pie for dinner?

MawB Sun 19-Jul-20 15:07:30

confused ???

Franbern Sun 19-Jul-20 15:07:07

I understand this post completely. I used to have a very large upright freezer at my house, but always found the drawers in it difficult to cope with, no matter how much or how little was in it.

Now have a small under counter freezer, and just the same. The little drawer at the bottom, comes out very easily, but is so difficult to get back in. #

Think this is because they do not have proper sliders for them, and I never remember whether I need to put it back in tipped with back higher than front or front higher than the back. Obviously, usually, my third or fourth attempt to get it correct.

JackyB Sun 19-Jul-20 14:53:48

Might need defrosting.

I have problems opening one of my drawers. It is all plastic and there is a thin piece to put your fingers behind and pull, which has broken off.