Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you irritated by bicycles on the road?

(40 Posts)
Bazza Wed 29-Jul-20 11:01:14

I live in area where there are many bicycles on our quite narrow roads. Before all you cyclists let me know that they are kind to the environment, good exercise etc., yes, I absolutely agree. I would just like to know why, when there is a cycle lane, a lot refuse to use them. Why do they insist on cycling sometimes as much as four abreast? They frighten the life out of me when overtaking them. Is it just me?

LadyGracie Thu 24-Sep-20 11:39:47

I’m a cyclist and a driver and cyclists annoy me intensely.

I feel guilty however if I’m cycling down a cycle/walking trail and walkers move out of the way, I always apologise. But, I’ll happily move if I’m walking and a cyclist comes.

Granarchist Thu 24-Sep-20 11:32:04

I am happy with two abreast as then they present the same width as a vehicle which makes it less tempting for idiot drivers to overtake when there is a vehicle approaching from ahead. It also stops cars overtaking on blind corners. Three or four abreast, or riding in huge groups without leaving regular spaces for cars to overtake are just plain rude. I drive and ride bikes and wear lots of hi viz - none of that stopped a 40ton grain lorry overtaking me, (I could have touched the side of his vehicle) with a car coming the other way - when he cut in to avoid the car I truly thought I was going to die. Worse still was the fact that a mere 100yds ahead he turned off into a grain store - so there was no need to endanger my life. I was so angry I rode straight into the yard and just went ballistic. No real apology - the manager just said he was sure the driver was not intentionally trying to kill me!!!!

eazybee Thu 24-Sep-20 08:04:15

In answer to the question: Yes.
Cyclists do not have the speed to navigate busy traffic safely; many roads are too narrow for safe cycle lanes, and they frequently end abruptly, leaving the cyclist either to swerve onto the pavement or in the middle of traffic;
cycling on pavements is dangerous for pedestrians;
too many serious cyclists ignore road rules whilst pursuing their 'personal best' and are unpredictable;
too many gaggles of four strung across country lanes because obviously, it is the country and there won't be any traffic.

boheminan Thu 24-Sep-20 08:03:17

I'm going to put in my pennyworth as it's something I feel strongly about. There's bike lanes here but quite a few have glass sprinkled across them and the inevitable pot holes, which are dangerous to navigate on a bike.

The route I frequently take is a pleasant, quiet cycle into town. The Avenue is wide and basically sectioned into three, with two very wide grass and tarmac paths either side, the road's the same width as the paths.

Probably 6 out of twelve times whilst cycling, I'll encounter pedestrians/runners/electric chairs, or groups of people walking in the middle of the road, or running from side to side. I usually have to stop for them, and cars slow down. They're quite affronted if asked to move onto the path, they ignore the warning ringing of my bike bell.

And don't get me started on the army of 4x4'sangry.

Yes, cars are an additional danger for bikes, and vice versa but on some roads pedestrians can also also a nuisance.

Esspee Thu 24-Sep-20 07:30:18

If I drove at 10mph I could be charged but cyclists can struggle their way up hills with a tail back of 50 or more cars unable to overtake on narrow or winding roads.
It should be mandatory for cyclists to pull over to allow other traffic to go past.
We have to travel from Glasgow to Loch Lomond several times a week and every single time encounter traffic queues of this nature. As each car attempts to overtake both driver and cyclist are put in danger, frustration mounts as everyone stuck behind the selfish cyclist is forced to a snails pace.

boat Thu 24-Sep-20 00:44:12

Until a few years ago I lived in East London. Our Local Council started putting in cycle lanes which initially I thought was a great idea (although I wasn't a cyclist).

Then I realised that most cyclists were not using them and that cross borough roads, cut down to single track in each direction, had become pollution generators.

To get back from my local supermarket had previously taken Five minutes, it now took 30.

CanadianGran Wed 23-Sep-20 23:53:37

Living in a smaller town with no biking lanes, I have to be aware of traffic and ride accordingly. Also give riders a wide berth when driving my car.. I don't like to see adults bikers on sidewalks, they should ride on the road, and know the proper hand signals.

I really feel bicycles should be licensed and a have a very basic insurance. It would cover some of the cost of adding bike lanes.

Friends that do live in cities are finding more and more bike lanes are being added, in fact some streets are designated bike only. Cars are losing space to bikes, who are not paying for the extra lanes. This causes resentment towards bike riders. I know in a society, municipal government must make decisions based on traffic volumes and what is best for the environment. Some North American cities are very car-centric, and we need to lean more towards public transit and biking.

I read in Vancouver they just increased the fine for 'dooring' a cyclist (hitting a cyclist with a car door).

Starblaze Wed 23-Sep-20 23:33:24

Sometimes, sometimes irritated by cars and also pedestrians lol

Generally irritated by annoying people who aren't using roads carefully.

I was stuck the other day, on a winding road, behind a young man who was cycling with no hands... For about 2 miles. I was so impressed I forgot to be annoyed lol

Hetty58 Wed 23-Sep-20 23:32:10

Yes Chewbacca, there are loads of dangerous and irresponsible cyclists and drivers about. Drivers can do so much more damage, though.

Pedestrians are very vulnerable too, especially small children. I really don't see why everyone needs to go quite so fast either!

Chewbacca Wed 23-Sep-20 23:19:12

I can't speak for others Hetty but personally, as a motorist, I don't think I own the road but I'm cogniscent of the fact that cyclists, who are already very vulnerable anyway, often put themselves into very dangerous situations. They take risks with their own, and other's, safety and it's often the quick reaction of the motorist that saves them from serious accident. Whilst saying this, I fully recognise, and acknowledge, that there are many motorists who do stupid things too and they also jeopardise cyclists safety. Which makes it all the more important for cyclists to be ever vigilant and risk averse.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Sep-20 23:09:55

It's really quite amusing that so many refer to 'cyclists' as if they are a different (strange?) distinct group of people. The reality is that - the vast majority of cyclists are also drivers! What is it about driving a car that makes you think you own the road?

NotSpaghetti Wed 23-Sep-20 23:06:41

Yes, they are very annoying when several abreast but they are infinitely more annoying when they use the pavements instead.

Chewbacca Wed 23-Sep-20 22:55:52

I share your fear Greenfinch. Just such an accident happened to a young school boy last year in my area. On his bike, going to school and a bit late. He got to a busy junction with traffic lights and thought he'd just got enough time to get across them. He didn't. A huge tragedy for his family, the school and the motorist who was involved.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Sep-20 22:54:49

Bazza, as a cyclist - I must admit that I'm often very irritated by cars on the road!

Greenfinch Wed 23-Sep-20 22:49:07

I am amazed at how many parents allow their children to cycle to school. When we take the grandchildren to school we see quite a few even though our roads are narrow and there are almost no cycle lanes. The town is small but busy and although the children are riding carefully I think of what might happen. I was knocked off my bike by a dog running out of a side road when I was on my way to school through quiet country lanes and it is so much busier now. Cyclist don't annoy me but I am concerned for them.

Georgesgran Wed 23-Sep-20 22:36:10

We live in a University City - lots of students cycle, but few have helmets or lights. Weaving in and out of the traffic on dark evenings renders them almost invisible. Some even have a mobile phone clamped to an ear!
I’m sure their loved ones at home would have heart failure if they saw them.

Grandad1943 Fri 07-Aug-20 22:18:57

It is not the situation that cyclists riding in groups of two or three abreast cause to car drivers, it is, more importantly, the danger they cause to themselves and all other road users when they are holding up heavy goods vehicles, coaches and buses etc.

The above vehicles have no real acceleration to pass cyclists riding in such a manner and often the drivers of such vehicles can only follow those cyclists for many miles before any safe opportunity will come about to pass.

The build-up of traffic behind a heavy goods vehicle can cause frustration in those drivers following and also that of the large vehicle driver causing a dangerous situation to develops.

In such circumstances many cyclists seem to revel in the Chaos they cause often looking back and grinning at the large vehicle driver trapped behind them.

Many large vehicles also have warning signs informing cyclists not to progress up the nearside of such vehicles when they are stopped at junctions and traffic lights etc. However, still many cyclists ride down the nearside of those vehicles in an effort to cross over the traffic lights or crossings even when they are set to red against them, they can then be crushed under the rear wheels of the heavy vehicle if it manoeuvres to the left as it turns.

Many cyclists have been recorded as killed carrying out the above but still many seem to conduct the action.

I often think that many cyclists (but not all) are totally selfish, Revel in as much chaos as they can cause and when riding in groups do not have a real intelligent brain between any of them.

Chewbacca Fri 07-Aug-20 21:01:45

Narrow country lanes around here. Last Sunday, I was driving very, very slowly, fully anticipating a cyclist to come pelting down towards me, in the middle of the road. The 5 cyclists that did just that were all grouped together, heads down, cycling like fury. It's a good job for them that I was looking ahead and not at my tyres.

PaperMonster Fri 07-Aug-20 20:56:15

No cycle lanes in our rural area. Lots of cyclists in groups cycling around narrow bendy roads. Once going round a bend which had a high hedge, so not much visibility we were confronted with a group of cyclists riding across the entire road - one had to stop himself by using our car.

ElaineI Thu 30-Jul-20 13:44:50

I'm ok with cyclists who know the Highway Code but there are a lot on the roads now because people have rightly decided to use bikes as exercise/transport etc due to lockdown but have just taken to the roads without learning how to use them or even wear helmets. I have encountered people fly out of side streets without looking or stopping, wibble wobble from side to side in the middle of the road with no helmets on, cycle zig zag using whole road, same on pavements and probably been ok because roads have been quieter but are now getting busier. It is nerve racking being behind them or over taking in case they do something unpredictable or knock over DGC if on the pavement. I'm talking about adults probably over 40ish and in Edinburgh area. I think there should be a test or something before people take to the roads.

Luckygirl Wed 29-Jul-20 18:16:59

Narrow windy roads and lanes round here - meeting cyclists is fraught with hazard. Worst thing is that some swerve into the middle of the road just when I have found a safe place to overtake and sort out the maniac up my arse who cannot see why I am going so slowly and is getting impatient.

No lights, dark clothes, no helmet - they are so very vulnerable and I really do not want to be the one that does them harm.

gulligranny Wed 29-Jul-20 18:09:33

I do think all bicycles should be made with reflective paint as standard - as VampireQueen says up-post, too many cyclists wear dark clothing and their bikes have no lights (particularly youngsters, is my observation), so a paint job that shows up in car headlights would be a very useful thing.

eazybee Wed 29-Jul-20 17:58:27

Yes I am, very irritated by (some) cyclists. Recently there was a cycling thread and it was obvious that the contributors were knowledgeable, experienced and extremely safety -conscious.
But so many of the people taking to their bikes at the moment are inexperienced, unfit and seem to think traffic laws simply don't apply to them, because there isn't so much traffic about. In the past few weeks I have seen all the following: riding on and off pavements without warning, weaving through traffic, going through red traffic lights, riding the wrong way down one-way streets, (3 different people) and last Friday, unbelievably, crossing the no-entry hatchings and cycling the wrong way round a traffic island. I did an emergency stop; she cycled on blithely, not even a helmet to protect her.
Very dangerous because so unpredictable. (Yes I know some motorists are too, but generally they are not so vulnerable; a cyclist is far more at risk if even touched by a car.)

midgey Wed 29-Jul-20 17:32:13

Was reading the other day that car drivers should open doors with their left hand, this means you have twisted and have the chance to see any cyclist coming up. Seems a good idea as cyclists have actually been killed by car doors opening.

NotTooOld Wed 29-Jul-20 17:01:52

Cyclists round here are a danger to themselves. I'm all in favour of people cycling but I don't want to be charged with killing or injuring one of them when they have dangerously ridden in front of my within-the-speed-limit-car. Fortunately, I believe local councils are to be given money to build cycle lanes. Let's hope they are given enough to maintain them as well.