Gransnet forums

Chat

So no more Argos catalogues

(23 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 30-Jul-20 20:51:31

I must admit my grandchildren who are very young are disappointed, they loved to flick through the catalogues as they came out and used to circle the things they wanted for Xmas and birthdays,

Squiffy Thu 30-Jul-20 21:27:19

Same with my lot! I think it applies to lots of families. I can’t help feeling that Argos may have shot themselves in the foot!

TrendyNannie6 Thu 30-Jul-20 22:10:43

I think a lot of people will miss it

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:14:19

I won't miss it. Good riddance - along with Yellow pages and mail order catalogues.

Please can the Screwfix catalogue bite the dust as well??

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:24:03

End of an era. Our girls (aged 40 years + now) used to love them ... not as much as ‘mummy’ did - great for occupying little people!
?

Kate54 Thu 30-Jul-20 22:42:30

End of an era. Bill Bailey called the catalogue ‘the laminated book of dreams’. Used that example to teach metaphor to bored teenagers!

annodomini Thu 30-Jul-20 23:45:29

It was a wonderful teaching aid with ESOL students too.

Hithere Fri 31-Jul-20 00:19:24

I discovered them in my year as Erasmus student, loved them! So entertaining.

I guess we still have the ikea printed ones

Hetty58 Fri 31-Jul-20 01:25:34

Crikey, I thought they'd gone decades ago - so won't miss them at all. It's all online now, no need to chop down trees and create litter!

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 31-Jul-20 06:51:51

The pictures were so small that it was difficult to see what you were buying, far better on screen so that you can enlarge the pictures, plus the catalogue was so heavy.

Ellianne Fri 31-Jul-20 07:53:48

Oh no! My children spent years cutting out potential presents and sticking the pictures on their Christmas wish list.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 31-Jul-20 08:05:42

I will miss it so I shall hang on to the last one - perhaps it will become a collectors' item. Surely the modern version is made out of recycled paper so no need to chop down more trees. I expect it cost too much to produce and in these difficult times the inevitable etc ... what a shame.

LullyDully Fri 31-Jul-20 08:09:32

I did teach a boy with autism who had one he looked at as a reward. End of an era.
(I understand Argos came from green shield stamps, do you remember them? )

joannapiano Fri 31-Jul-20 08:22:25

Our 8 year old GD spent an hour this week turning down the corners of pages to hint at what she wanted for her birthday in September. I shall also keep the latest one to entertain DGC on wet days!

Marydoll Fri 31-Jul-20 08:36:19

I used to use them in school for maths lessons. Children would be given tasks related to the catalogue.
The only thing was the pupils would become distracted and start looking for Christmas and birthday ideas. ?

BlueSky Fri 31-Jul-20 08:39:26

Not surprising when everything is on line! They did serve the purpose in the old days!

joannapiano Fri 31-Jul-20 10:28:24

Unfortunately some of our friends and neighbours don’t have access to the Internet.

henetha Fri 31-Jul-20 10:30:54

I used to love the Argos catalogue, but did stop getting them a couple of years ago as it's so easy online. And they were heavy to carry home and then hard to dispose of when finished.

Oldwoman70 Fri 31-Jul-20 11:05:12

The problem with their web site is when you type something in the search panel - you never know what they will come up with. I remember looking for a washing up bowl - what they suggested were draining racks! If you are bored try it - some of the suggestions are really strange!

Megs36 Fri 31-Jul-20 14:15:27

When my family got married in the eighties they cut out pictures? From catalogues and stuck in pads for when people asked for their wedding lists, don’t think they have lists now, all on internet?

EightyPercentCocoaSolids Fri 31-Jul-20 17:16:10

We used to pick up a couple and hide them in the holiday luggage to get out on a wet day. Some of our DCs fondest holiday memories aren't of the fabulous places we took them, they are of sitting in a tent in the pouring rain planning their future houses from the Argos catalogue.

For anyone who wants a bit of nostalgia, the entire canon is available at argosbookofdreams.co.uk. I found half of my childhood home when browsing through the earlier ones.

Hithere Fri 31-Jul-20 17:35:14

Argosbookofdreams.....
Ah, walking down memory lane.

Thanks for posting it!

FoghornLeghorn Fri 31-Jul-20 20:38:04

Well all I can say is, than goodness my dear old Dad is no longer with us. He loved the Argos catalogue and spent many happy hours going through it. ?