Gransnet forums

Chat

I like Jess Phillip's a lot but

(103 Posts)
kittylester Sun 02-Aug-20 17:21:57

I think she is being a bit unreasonable to expect the whip to be taken away from the Tory, ex cabinet member who is accused, but not charged last I heard, with raping a woman.

Iam64 Tue 04-Aug-20 08:40:51

The young woman involved in the current police investigation into allegations against an MP is reported as saying she feels that the party is more concerned to support the alleged perpetrator than the victim.
Westiminster has a very poor record where alleged sexual offences are concerned.
Charlie Elphicke had the whip returned when Theresa May needed all the votes she could get. He's now been found guilty of the offences he faced at that time. His supporters rallied in a similar way to those involved in the current case. The belief seems to be that because they know the individual well, the allegations cant possibly be true.

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 22:18:42

Your stats were fine Iam64 , it was me, I said in the uk when it wasnt a study specific to this country. I accept full responsibilitygrin

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 21:59:39

Incidents of this kind are across all the parties, the lib dems and the green party have had some horrific incidents. Its nothing to do with the political persuasion of the accused. There were some awful allegations against someone in the labour party relatively recently. I thought they made a complete mess of that as well.

Iam64 Mon 03-Aug-20 21:39:19

Apologies if I misquoted the stats.
I may have missed something but I haven’t picked up comments suggesting because the MP is a Conservative, he’s guilty.

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 20:43:57

I dont think sexual assault and rape is anything to do with political persuasion eazybee. It would be incredibly naive to think so.

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 20:41:48

The 1 in 5 figure comes from a study in america that shows over her lifetime 1 in 5 women will be raped. 1 in 10 will be raped within an intimate relationship. The 20 % is sexual assault. I think the 1 in 5 figure is only rape (sorry I dont mean that how it sounds) it doesn't cover attempted rape.
Oopsminty is right it's important to be accurate.

eazybee Mon 03-Aug-20 20:37:42

The word 'alleged' is used because they have not yet been verified. With mobile phone signals, CCTV, not to mention alibis, this is the sort of evidence that is being collected at the moment, to prove that the people mentioned were there on the dates in question.
With actual attacks, it is very difficult to prove unless reported immediately or there is medical evidence; the woman did go to hospital on one occasion so that will be recorded.
If the woman chooses, she may remain anonymous for the rest of her life; with the man his name is certainly known to the media and will be common knowledge soon enough, which is unfair if, repeat if, he is innocent.
The verdict of some on this thread seems to be an assumption of guilt, because he is Tory.

Iam64 Mon 03-Aug-20 20:20:43

What do you mean MerylStreep?

MerylStreep Mon 03-Aug-20 20:15:06

If this case goes to court I'm afraid the young woman's testimony will be ripped to pieces.
From the Met police.
these offences are alleged to have accured at addresses in Westminster, Lambeth and Hackney between July 2019 and Jan 2020
Can you imagine what a good barrister would make of that?

I'm not on anyone's side. I wasn't there.

Oopsminty Mon 03-Aug-20 20:06:43

Galaxy

The latest statistics I have seen are 20 % of women have experienced sexual assault, 31% of young women have experienced sexual assault in childhood.

Exactly Galaxy

But sexual assault doesn't always equate to rape.

If you read the article you'll see what sexual assault consists of.

Oopsminty Mon 03-Aug-20 20:02:24

Galaxy us correct. The latest statistics are that 20% of women have experienced sexual assault,

It was my link that pointed out that 20% of women had experienced sexual assault actually

Galaxy had said 1 in 5 UK women had been raped

Which is incorrect

Luckygirl Mon 03-Aug-20 19:57:16

Hopefully the police will get on with the enquiry and lead to some initial resolution of the suspension issue.

It is truly a sick culture in the H of C. And these folk have all the power. And feel it gives them the right to do as they please.

Well done to the young woman for taking her complaint to the police in the first place.

Iam64 Mon 03-Aug-20 19:13:16

Galaxy us correct. The latest statistics are that 20% of women have experienced sexual assault, 31% have experience sexual assault in childhood.
One poster on another thread said she has no close friends who have not experienced some form of sexual assault.

The woman involved in this allegation was in a relationship with the man for several months. She alleges sexual assault, rape and coercive control. She first raised it with the Whip in April. He denies she made these serious allegations. Jacob Reese Mog was made aware,I'm not sure how -he correctly advised the woman to make a report to the police.
I wonder is this young woman "off sick", thus building an employment record that may mean she isn't seen as a reliable employee.
If not, is she at work, working for the MP she accuses? I realise there are no easy answers here. Surely its just plain wrong for the alleged abuser to be at work and his victim where??? Its so similar to pupils in school where the (usually)_female complainant is expected to carry on going to school with the alleged perpetrator.

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 17:47:39

Actually those statistics seem to be worse than I thought, they seem to be saying 144, 000 rapes or attempted rapes in a year. The last figures I saw were 85, 000 women per year.

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 17:41:24

The latest statistics I have seen are 20 % of women have experienced sexual assault, 31% of young women have experienced sexual assault in childhood.

Oopsminty Mon 03-Aug-20 17:35:05

Galaxy

I am not sure what these individuals stories prove or what the point is. The statistics are really clear. The false accusation rate is very low same as any other crime. 1 in 5 women in the uk are raped.

I'm not sure that the 1 in 5 UK women are raped stat is correct, Galaxy

I've seen articles stating that 1 in 5 women have been sexually assaulted in some way or other. Inappropriate touching, flashing etc etc

None of which I condone obviously.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/08/sexual-assault-women-crime-survey-england-wales-ons-police-figures

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 17:31:38

quizqueen

I don't like Jess Phillips ( no apostrophe needed!!) at all but then I don't like any Labour MPs.

I'm sorry, I hadnt notice the superfluous apostrophe, quizqueen, and I'm surprised that no-one else had noticed or, maybe, been rude enough to mention it.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Aug-20 17:16:21

They take their lead from the top. sad

westendgirl Mon 03-Aug-20 16:57:43

You dont have to like them QQ. Being an MP is not a popularity contest . They are supposed to be upstanding , honest, truthful , trustworthy people who are governing this country . Supposed to be !!!

quizqueen Mon 03-Aug-20 16:53:08

I don't like Jess Phillips ( no apostrophe needed!!) at all but then I don't like any Labour MPs.

westendgirl Mon 03-Aug-20 16:50:19

To get back to the original post which is about the lack of taking away the whip from the person who was charged its interesting to see that the whip was withdrawn from 21 MPs ( including Churchill's grandson) for voting against the government and Julian Lewis had the whip removed after beating Chris Grayling to be chairman of Intelligence and security committee.Double standards there surely . What sort of government have we ended up with ?

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 16:41:52

The statistics also show that that if he is guilty he will not be convicted.

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 16:40:22

I am not sure what these individuals stories prove or what the point is. The statistics are really clear. The false accusation rate is very low same as any other crime. 1 in 5 women in the uk are raped.

lemongrove Mon 03-Aug-20 16:39:11

Speaking for myself Galaxy I haven’t judged either of them as a liar....or anything else.

eazybee Mon 03-Aug-20 16:37:32

Why should the Tory ex-ministers be feeling a bit miffed?
They know it is not them.
I am always dubious over accusations of sexual misconduct, having worked somewhere where allegations were made against the boss, a most unpleasant man, by another member of staff. It caused an immense amount of trouble and disruption for two years, her word against his, no conclusive evidence and was never properly resolved; what finally emerged was that, following a very brief affair, he would not leave his wife for her, and this was her revenge. She eventually left, and despite her husband supporting her went on to break up another marriage very swiftly, so despite initial sympathy no-one ever believed her accusations again.