Gransnet forums

Chat

Good morning Monday

(97 Posts)
grandMattie Mon 03-Aug-20 05:57:57

Good morning from an overcast cool E Kent. The day promises sunny intervals.
I could get used to this - starting the thread! I trust Mick is really enjoying his little holiday.
Loved the virtual service yesterday, DD really does a cracking sermon l. This week it was on loaves and fishes, and somehow she managed to make it totally relevant to today. Clever girl.
She said she was coming with our 2 GDs next week, but “wasn’t sure how long because he’d DH doesn’t like to be alone too long”. It rather annoyed us. Firstly, because her iLs see the girls weekly (they live an hour away, we live 5 hours), and we haven’t seen any of them since early January. Secondly, because SiL will be working 13/14 hour days that week... anyway, we count our blessings, say nothing that could antagonise and rejoice at seeing them! Being an in-law is not easy, is it?
DS came back today. He told us that it was unlikely that he would go back To school in India before the end of October. He’ll have to teach via zoom and have Eastern and Western Hemisphere classes for his international students. Hey ho!
Nothing on today - cleaning day; hate it.
Hope all the procedures have been effective, and people are feeling few side effects, their minds are clear, their bodies repairing.
Have the best day possible.

Kalu Mon 03-Aug-20 13:22:26

You’re not at all spoiling the thread gilly. Goodness knows you need to vent somewhere which you can do among friends who care, here. To reduce someone to tears with such callous behaviour is beyond my comprehension from someone who has chosen a caring vocation. Utterly disgraceful as is everything you have both gone through since your DH was first admitted for a routine procedure months ago. Neither of you deserve what you have gone through and my heart goes out both of you hoping this will all come to an end very soon. ?

JenniferEccles Mon 03-Aug-20 13:19:57

Please don’t apologise gillybob

Everyone who has followed your story over the past year and knowing what you and your family have been through will be so cross and frustrated on your behalf.

Things at last seemed to be going well for you didn’t they?

Your husband had his op at long last which went well, and you are hopeful for that big work order, but now you are having to deal with yet more frustration which really shouldn’t have happened.

I hope you will soon hear back from the hospital. Fingers crossed for you.

Georgesgran Mon 03-Aug-20 13:04:10

Sorry to monopolise but just seen Gilly’s posts - absolutely disgraceful treatment of your DH, almost negligent if he doesn’t get that catheter out pdq! When we are all singing the praises of the NHS - it’s such a shame that one rotten apple spoils the barrel!
Hugs from Durham. X

Georgesgran Mon 03-Aug-20 12:59:19

Not sure how to start a new thread, but this one seems to be well read, so just a question.
I’m getting emails from Staysure (never used them) offering 15months for the price of 12. BUT - DD2 has had ongoing cover through them for 10+years, renewed 31/8 automatically. I’m wondering if her old cover will be extended to December this year, or will they extend the next 12 month policy for 3 months. OR - to be very cynical - will she not qualify for any extension to her policy being a long-term customer, with an existing health condition?

Has anyone had their policy renewed by Staysure, during lockdown?

MellowYellow Mon 03-Aug-20 12:42:30

You're not spoiling the thread gillybob. A virtual hug to you.

grandMattie Mon 03-Aug-20 12:36:20

Oh, gilly how horrible for you and your DH. Mine had a catheter after prostatectomy. It was in for 3 weeks and he had endless infections. Poor poor man. No wonder you are spitting tacks. Rudeness id totally unnecessary. Go girl, report this sister, give a description of her if you don’t have her name...
all the very best to you both. [hugs]

gillybob Mon 03-Aug-20 12:17:35

Sorry for spoiling this lovely thread yet again but I just feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

gillybob Mon 03-Aug-20 12:15:34

No JenniferE I am back at work and DH is back home. He is really upset and in a lot of discomfort too.

I have spoken to the consultants secretary on the telephone and she said that the surgeon himself made the appointment for today as its important that the catheter is removed soon to enable healing and prevent infection. She said ideally it should've been removed after 24 hours but they didn't want him to stay in overnight and they don't do Saturday appointments . Hence the first appointment of today . I am still waiting for a call back .

No I didn't get the sisters name but I told the secretary how rude she was. There couldn't have been many sisters on that unit at 9am this morning so probably not hard to work out .

It seems so silly considering all we have been through this last year but I feel like I am close to breaking point now .

Sorry for the rant. I just wish I had someone in real life to talk to .

harrigran Mon 03-Aug-20 12:09:26

I would be demanding the sister be spoken to about her treatment of your DH, that was absolutely appalling. Pandemic or not there is no excuse for such rudeness, vulnerable patients should never be treated this way.

Grandmafrench Mon 03-Aug-20 11:59:07

Sending you a hug, gilly. Honest to God, you can't fix stupid. Obviously you met up with someone who, maybe from too much Thursday clapping, now has an elevated sense of her own importance. Surely your OH was only there, under instruction, to allow his procedure to be finished. Wouldn't that qualify some second thoughts after being shown your letter? Keep pushing, keep insisting that you're not going backwards and let them have it both barrels....it's the only way that you'll get it sorted. x

JenniferEccles Mon 03-Aug-20 11:58:25

Oh gilly that’s unbelievable.
No wonder you are fuming.

Are you still at the hospital?
I would definitely stay as now the consultant knows what’s going on things should move quickly.

Did you get that Sister’s name?

She should certainly be reported.

Let us know how you get on.
I’m sure everyone on here is fuming on your behalf.

Hermia46 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:57:16

Oh gillybob my heart goes out to you. I sincerely hope that the hospital shift their a** and get your husband sorted out.

Taichinan Mon 03-Aug-20 11:53:25

Screen froze, so pressed Send to see what happened - screen unfroze!! Today I must pop down into town to collect a prescription and send off GDS1's birthday card. Somebody above mentioned DC's ages - mine are now 53, 52 and 47 with DGCs 27 down to 14. As they say, how did that happen!? So sorry to hear of everyone's troubles - you are such brave people and I hope your health and, in Gillybob's case, situation improve pdq. Sending ? a hug to each ?

Taichinan Mon 03-Aug-20 11:38:52

Good morning all from Costa del Angus again. I have been an intermittent lurker for a couple of months but have decided I should start contributing. Since lockdown has eased and I've been able to see friends and family again I have felt so much better. I hadn't realised how depressed I must have become - in company with many others I'm sure. But now each day offers something a little different, which is lovely. No tai chi classes of course, but three or four of us do a couple of (socially distanced) sets in the garden each Friday, with a chatty coffee break in the middle. Our little "art group" is also back. We've been meeting in my garden room for 21 years now. It's no longer to paint - but tea, cakes and chat make up for that

gillybob Mon 03-Aug-20 11:27:31

Well we left home at 8am and arrived at the hospital at 8.50 for an appointment at 9am. I walked him to the door of the unit but couldn't go in . I set off back to work as I had to let a couple of lads in on a later start.

20 minutes down the road I get a call from DH who is crying. I couldn't get much sense other than they wouldn't see him. So I turned the car round and head back to the hospital.....

DH is standing outside the unit really upset saying that they wouldn't see him as the consultants secretary hadn't made the appointment despite him having a letter .

So I park up leaving DH in the car and I go in only to be met with the most rude, obnoxious, vile excuse of a "sister" who said in a raised voice and I quote "I have already told your husband that he cannot be seen today . We are working on low capacity and cannot see every patient , as I have already told him he will get a letter in the post"

Now at this point I am fuming . I give her the letter and she looked at it saying "thats not my problem, he will get a letter". I tell her to look at his notes and see what he has been through in the last year and she just shrugs. like she doesn't give a sh*t . Not her problem.

So I walked out ;leaving her with the message that I will be making and official complaint . i have now spoken to the consultants secretary who tells me that the consultant himself made the appointment and that the catheter really should be removed today for fear of infection and to allow the healing process to start . She has promised to ring me back ASAP .

To say I am angry is an understatement !

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:08:36

Good Morning from Harrogate (started out lovely and sunny), I am aiming to go to a shop this morning!!! That, this year, is an event to be noted! Will possibly make another couple of masks this pm before taking dog for walk. Hope to speak to my school friend this pm and persuade her to join me on a Zoom watercolour class (she is a master, I am an idiot when it comes to watercolour!)

EllanVannin Mon 03-Aug-20 10:55:44

Not again,Gillybob. Surely after nearly 12 months they must have got part of the system right ? I'm fuming with you as I don't do incompetence at all.

Mapleleaf Mon 03-Aug-20 10:52:54

Good morning,

It's a pleasant day so far, a bit cloudy but warm, and indeed quite hot when the sun breaks through the clouds.

A day of pottering today.

We saw our friends for the first time since lock down yesterday for a socially distanced chat in their garden. It was lovely to see them, and although quite breezy, where we were sitting was quite sheltered.

I hope that you feel a little better as the day wears on, mary. I'm pleased to read that you are trying to take things a little easy - that will do you the world of good.

Sorry to read that it seems as if things have not gone to plan today for mr gillybob, gilly. Just what you don't need.

To all feeling unwell, worried or sad, I hope today brings you some comfort. ?

Urmstongran Mon 03-Aug-20 10:39:16

You seem ready to blow a gasket gillybob - are you back already or did you not go?

BladeAnnie Mon 03-Aug-20 10:29:21

Good morning all warm and sunny mid-Notts - his Lordship the cat is enjoying the terrace/catio before it gets too hot. Mr BA is having a long weekend - works from home anyway but the office door will stay firmly shut today. I'm sure he will find something to "play" with in his workshop - he's like a little boy when he gets in there!! Sending hugs to Marydoll and hope you enjoy that new car Puzzler61. Hope everyone has the best day possible and please stay safe x

Kalu Mon 03-Aug-20 10:28:58

Good morning all from Glasgow where the sun is shining and my get up and go has returned. Not that I am going anywhere but a sunny start to the day does help.

A cracked pipe outside the kitchen window is being repaired along with another chap here to unblock a drain. The fun never stops. ?

A late call from DD1 a bit upset as one of their cats had just returned home injured. I could hear both GDs and the cat crying in the background so we decided he had to bee seen by an emergency vet. Poor cat was hit by a car, no internal injuries and allowed to go home with pain relief thank goodness. A better outcome than we had hoped for along with an eye watering bill. Ouch!

Fingers crossed DS’s test comes back negative kitty with a sigh of relief for all of you?

What a horrible time of it you are having Marydoll Hoping you feel some relief soon.

Have a pleasant day all and a better one for all of you with worries and difficult times at the moment.

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 10:24:20

You can't gilly we need to fume with you. Well, at least I do! grin

gillybob Mon 03-Aug-20 10:22:09

A very late Good morning from me.

I am FUMING at the incompetency of some parts of the NHS.

Best leave it there for now.

oliversnana Mon 03-Aug-20 10:22:08

Grandson has been at nursery with a positive case isoltion is 14 days fom contact so you would just be coming to the end. That was the instructions from the hovernment for my daughter so she has a week with my grand son at home.

Georgesgran Mon 03-Aug-20 10:17:09

Good morning from a lovely sunny Durham. Poor night’s sleep with a lot going round in my head, not helped at 3.30am by a tawny owl hunting and hooting!

DD2 has builders starting an extension today so I’m on laundry duty - she brought 2 enormous bags full yesterday to start on.

Meeting a friend this afternoon for a walkthrough of her new house, before she finally signs for the purchase - a new phase of her life, following a second divorce at 65.

Have a good day all and stay safe. X