Gransnet forums

Chat

Getting rid of "stuff"

(95 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 04-Aug-20 08:21:21

I am clearing out as I am hoping to move soon and I cannot tell you how deeply satisfying it is. There is stuff that moved here with us 4 years ago that has not been looked at - stored in shed or garage the whole time.

The sons-in-law came at weekend and cleared them both leaving me with a basket full of stuff I might really need - a hammer, some picture pins, screwdriver etc. etc. Everything else went to them or in the skip that is residing on my drive.

I am finally planning to sell my grandmother's Waring and Gillow dinner service - it simply gathers dust on the dresser and is virtually never used. It has some nostalgic value but noting more.

I feel really happy about all this - a sense of being on top of things rather than looking at all this stuff with a sense of desperation.

sazz1 Thu 06-Aug-20 22:03:05

Hi shandy
Yes we're very happy now the new house and area are lovely x

Callistemon Thu 06-Aug-20 16:36:39

Daddima I keep meaning to sell some stuff, including some books, but it seems like a huge effort, so it will probably all end up donated somewhere.

I'm not sure about the books, it would be awful if some of them were pulped.

Jane43 Thu 06-Aug-20 15:59:08

Lucy127

Charity shops may not be open but Freecycling /Freegle is. Just join on line - - your local one or close. Post what you have to offer. Those interested will respond by email. You select one request. They collect when convenient to you. You post ‘it’s gone‘ to update all those who were interested. No money changes hands. Please check it out. All sorts of stuff can be offered in virtually state. And, if you are looking for something you can post a ‘wanted‘ advert. Saves stuff going to landfill, etc. Good luck!

Yes we use Freecycle too. In fact I have just passed on a pair of curtains, a bread bin, mug tree and kitchen roll holder. I had four enquiries for the curtains but I always let the first one have the items. The lady who picked them up told me that she and her husband have just retired and are helping a local charity for families in need. She told me what items are in demand so if I have anything else I will Email her first.

Conni7 Wed 05-Aug-20 12:51:45

"If you Google China matching companies you might find one who would be interested in buying your dinner services."

I did that and up came a dating agency in China!

Daddima Wed 05-Aug-20 11:33:15

I started to do the ‘ Swedish Death Clean’ to save my family having to do it when I snuff it, but found it quite upsetting to look through things like vocal scores for things I’ll never sing again, or clothes I’ll never wear again, but that might be because it’s not long since the Bodach died. Strangely enough, he had only a fraction of the ‘stuff’ I have.
My daughter in law has made quite a bit of money selling things on Gumtree for a few pounds, stuff she thought nobody would want, so I might try that.
Or then again, I might not.

Sputnik Wed 05-Aug-20 11:15:39

My parents were refugees and lost everything as children. In adulthood they reacted in different ways: My mother wanted no possessions, she gave everything away, never wanted presents except consumables and had very few clothes. My father was a collector of toys, books and media of all kinds. I'm a mixture of both!

Shandy57 Wed 05-Aug-20 10:39:23

I sold and did a major declutter, some of it did make me feel sad, thinking about how I've had to dismantle my big house. I've given lots of bric a brac to Oxfam but missed my earring tray - went in to see if it was still there yesterday and it had just been sold. I'm glad it will help someone, and I will put my earrings straight into my jewellery box!

sazzl I'm pleased to see you, I hope you are happy smile in your new home.

sazz1 Wed 05-Aug-20 10:33:30

We downsized and moved to Devon late last year. Took lots of stuff with us to do car boot sales but lockdown ended that. So have been selling on eBay and Facebook selling pages. Not making a fortune but every little helps and the junk is slowly reducing. Really enjoying it as a little hobby.

Madmaggie Wed 05-Aug-20 10:27:27

Good for you - I take my hat off to you. Sell the Wareing & Gillow and buy yourself something YOU want. Possibly a delicate chain etc., that is your memory if you want one of your gran. You wont need to store, display or dust it either (smile)

Luckygirl Tue 04-Aug-20 22:37:57

b1zzle - lots of good luck for tomorrow's move - deep breath!! smile

Daftbag1 Tue 04-Aug-20 21:06:42

We are doing the same, not due to a move but because we want to reduce our clutter. Most of it is heading for the local auction house, anything is better than nothing. Our only problem is what to do with our suite. Charity shops aren't taking furniture, no one seems to want it so now we are stuck!

Nergard Tue 04-Aug-20 20:41:52

Decided to clear out the loft during lockdown but the problem is trying to get rid of it all so now garage and downstairs clogged up with 'stuff'.

b1zzle Tue 04-Aug-20 18:46:06

I move tomorrow (!) and was determined to be totally organised so have had 'stuff' boxed up for a couple of weeks now, but why do we all have so much 'stuff'? My life has gone on quite happily without it all over this fortnight and I really thought I'd been good and decluttered - binned 'stuff' beforehand and sent other 'stuff' to antique shops. But if it fits in the beautiful/useful category sometimes it's hard to harden one's heart...

Juneandarchie1 Tue 04-Aug-20 18:16:15

I had a husband like that. Then the strange thing was after 42 years together he walked out on me and everything he’d accumulated, leaving me to clear it all, 3 years on I haven’t even got to the shed yet !

SueDonim Tue 04-Aug-20 17:58:34

This thread has inspired me, too. I’ve spent the rest of the afternoon not really decluttering stuff but getting rid of old paperwork. Loads and loads of it! It was needed at the time but gas bills from 2013? confused

Jani31 Tue 04-Aug-20 17:54:41

I found my vases in a box, 1 year after moving into this Park Home yesterday. You have no idea of how great that feels instead of using a jug x

jocork Tue 04-Aug-20 17:33:22

Freecycle (or freegle as the groups in this area are called) is great. When I first discovered it I was newly separated from ex H and managed to replace a few things I needed that he'd taken. I also kitted my daughter out with some furniture when she was a student renting a room with no chests of drawers and only a dining chair to sit on at her desk! Some of that was re-freegled after she graduated but she still has some of the good stuff in her flat years later. Now I need to get rid of stuff, but if you're a hoarder beware of collecting nice things on offer that you don't really need! I've met some lovely people and am always amazed at some of the things people want. Also consider giving stuff to a local school - they often want fabrics that can be cut up for projects in textiles classes. I work in a school and our textiles teachers are always on the lookout for fabric although I did rescue a really good warm coat from the staff room donation box to give to a homeless man!

GrannyAnnie2010 Tue 04-Aug-20 17:16:14

I'm not so much of a 'might come in useful one day' person as a 'but how could I not keep this', so I've got my children's first pairs of shoes, their drawings from playschool etc.

One day I decided to make an Alzheimer's Box. Into it go things that bring back strong memories for me. There are instructions taped to the box that, in the event of me going (completely) senile, my family can throw away from that box each item that fails to bring back a memory for me.

If the remaining 20 items still mean nothing to me, they have my express permission to euthanise me. Until then, I remain the old fool who finds pleasure in that candlestick fashioned from bread made by my very young children for my birthday all those years ago and I still can't bear to throw out, even after countless attempts at decluttering.

4allweknow Tue 04-Aug-20 17:09:47

I know what you mean, so liberating. I dragged stuff around in boxes, tea chests (you'll know how long ago they were used when moving) for 42 years. Last move ll years agodecided if I hadn't used it in two years it went into the skip. Managed this apart from wedding china. Then reorganising dining area came across the full set for 12 places and just phoned a charity who came and collected the lot. Was told the china would go to one of the assessors who would probably advertise it all for sale. Now I will not put anything away "just in case" I will need it.

Cabbie21 Tue 04-Aug-20 17:03:38

Our charity shops are open but only take in a limited amount.

Re Freecycling there was a recent thread about the problems of those who arrange to collect then don’t turn up.

Still, I guess it is worth a go.

Lucy127 Tue 04-Aug-20 16:37:24

Charity shops may not be open but Freecycling /Freegle is. Just join on line - - your local one or close. Post what you have to offer. Those interested will respond by email. You select one request. They collect when convenient to you. You post ‘it’s gone‘ to update all those who were interested. No money changes hands. Please check it out. All sorts of stuff can be offered in virtually state. And, if you are looking for something you can post a ‘wanted‘ advert. Saves stuff going to landfill, etc. Good luck!

paddyanne Tue 04-Aug-20 16:37:12

I have a some fabulous books that I wouldn't even start cooking from ,I dont have 3 days spare to cook a chicken but its interesting and the finished result looks amazing.Same with the French Laundry book results look fab but so many steps and hours to get them .I have original Prue Leith Dinner party books for the late 70's that I used a lot and I see twice baked souffles are back in fashion so maybe I should get them off the shelf .

Summerlove Tue 04-Aug-20 16:20:44

Ladies
You inspired me
I filled a 90l bag of clothes

Now to figure out how to get it out of my house

I have a bag of bags too

Cymres1 Tue 04-Aug-20 15:46:10

We had a talk at our WI from The Clutter Fairy. All trotted along expecting a good laugh, but the laugh was on us. Totally serious business but also a fascinating insight into why things build up, came away with a whole new take on STUFF.
I got a gift voucher birthday present for 3 hours of this lady, and we got rid of a car load. Catharsis and a huge relief. Now, since lock down eased, having a visit each week from a young friend helping me to work on the same ethos, I have craft clutter, books, papers, antique bits... too much clobber.
Parting with some of my Mum's things was hard but my friend is so understanding and non-judgemental it's actually like antidepressants without the pharmaceutical side!
Anti cluttering books didn't work but my practical friend encouraging me is a complete Godsend. I'm very arthritic so I'm rather limited in shifting things. JICYW, she's part of my family bubble so I am being very careful.
Also we're not taking ANYTHING to the tip that can't be reused and recycled, so it's a fantastic feeling. Take heart, Gransnetters, there is life after dealing with the deluge.

SueDonim Tue 04-Aug-20 15:32:21

Ha, picture books, Paddyanne! grin I’m not going to admit how many craft books I have, from which I will likely do no projects whatsoever. blush

Some cook books are eminently readable. I love my Nigel Slaters, for instance, and my ancient Mrs Beeton’s is highly amusing for some of the gruesome suggestions for meals.