Gransnet forums

Chat

Needing some advice

(6 Posts)
newmama Sat 08-Aug-20 03:13:11

Hello! I am not a grandparent but needed to turn somewhere for advice. I am 24, married and 8 weeks pregnant. I have a full time, post college job, and my husband is job hunting as he just finished school. For some reason I am terrified to tell my parents I am pregnant. I think they will be happy, but I am still on their insurance and feel like I’m 16 and telling them the worst possible news. My parents can be a bit judge mental towards others and I’m afraid they won’t be happy since my husband isn’t employed yet, we don’t have our own insurance, and we’re still saving for a house. We are married so I know it’s to be expected but I’m so worried. Reassurance or advice please?

Chewbacca Sat 08-Aug-20 03:53:06

Congratulations again! But why do you need insurance and why 2 threads?

SpringyChicken Sat 08-Aug-20 08:03:01

Are you in the US, newmama ? The full implications of your situation will be lost on us in the uk but presumably there is a financial impact on the insurance?

No doubt your parents will be delighted about the baby but not thrilled over the timing, particularly if you are being financially supported by them.

Is the pregnancy planned? You seem to know exactly how many weeks pregnant you are so that suggests it was intentional. If that backs your parents into a corner and impacts on their lives, they could well feel peeved with you.

Pick your moment to tell them. I’d avoid at the meal table or just before bedtime.

sodapop Sat 08-Aug-20 08:43:39

Yes sounds like newmama is in America. I agree with springychicken the timing is not great and I have no idea how it will impact on their insurance.
Pick your moment newmama once they are over the initial shock they will be delighted to welcome a new grandchild, don't stress over this it will be fine.

ladymuck Sat 08-Aug-20 09:06:43

Best to get it over with as soon as possible and stop worrying about it. Once the good news is out in the open you can start discussing the financial side of things.

Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 10:11:32

So your husband is only 18 or 19 then if he has just finished school?
You are both adults and you are 24. Could you get the better paid job is you have been to college? Many men opt to be the main carers for their children these days.

You must tell your parents - exciting news! - but really they should not judge.

I think you'll find many on here already had a family by the age of 24.