Gransnet forums

Chat

It's that time of year. The shallot king is at it again!

(14 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-20 16:48:42

No brining malarkey?? According to DH that's the most important bit of the whole 'experience.' How else would he spend a happy hour in front of the telly making the whole place reek of onions.

He'd sulk for weeks! grin

Jaxjacky Sun 09-Aug-20 16:44:18

Mine are mine alone, no brining malarkey, peel, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, whole chilli from garden, malt vinegar, done. Happy memories of helping my Dad do them.

Nortsat Sun 09-Aug-20 16:22:58

You could at least have a raffle Merlot with the winning GN receiving two jars of ‘his’ pickled onions.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 09-Aug-20 14:59:30

Sounds lovely - please put me on the list for a GN jar, merlotgran grin

merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-20 14:56:34

Could all GNers receive a jar at Christmas Merlot?

OMG I'm not suggesting that. He'll have me wandering round various markets buying up all their shallots. grin

lemongrove Sun 09-Aug-20 14:52:34

Well done....both of you!?
We used to pickle shallots and also beetroot ( the spiced vinegar cooking used to attract wasps into the kitchen!) and they were delicious.We have become too lazy these days and just grow tomatoes, courgettes and cucumbers.
Could all GNers receive a jar at Christmas Merlot ?

merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-20 14:48:30

I couldn't get banana shallot sets this year which is a shame because we love them too. They're so delicious in cheese sauce.

geekesse Sun 09-Aug-20 14:47:59

Ok, so I’m a po-faced old spoilsport...

I’m appalled. Why does any woman allow and facilitate this sort of behaviour? I think this is supposed to be funny, but I just see it as a woman encouraging a man to treat her as a servant.

annsixty Sun 09-Aug-20 13:43:41

I love shallots, especially the banana ones.

FlyingHandbag Sun 09-Aug-20 13:26:25

grin?

Jane10 Sun 09-Aug-20 13:23:09

grin

annsixty Sun 09-Aug-20 13:21:34

That sounds about right?

Beechnut Sun 09-Aug-20 13:18:22

I can see why he would be merlotgran ??

merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-20 12:47:12

DH loves growing shallots. This is how he does it:

At the beginning of March he starts telling me, 'They should be in by now!'

I source all the onion sets we require and send away for them. This year, of course, everything was a bit late but despite DH shaking his head as he watched me plant them they soon caught up and made some healthy clumps. That's because I do all the hand weeding. grin It's a never ending job on fen soil which, left to its own devices, would only produce nettles!

He then gives me regular updates on their progress (as if I walk past them with my eyes shut)

Last weekend we lifted them. That is....I was bent double easing them out with a fork while DH held the trug!

This morning he sorted them out on their drying station and separated them into 'pickling' and 'cooking' piles.

DH makes the most marvellous pickled onions. Everyone is given a jar and they're a must at Christmas with the turkey left overs.

He has already selected the bucket for brining them. I've dug out the jar of pickling salt from the back of the cupboard and ordered some extra cider vinegar so by the middle of the week he should be into full scale production.

I, in the meantime, will be finding all the empty jars in the garage, putting them through the dishwasher, searching for my roll of fancy labels and digging out my River Cottage recipe for spiced vinegar.

The one job I refuse to do is skin the onions after they've been brining so he plonks the bucket between his knees and does it while he's watching the telly. shock

He's really very proud of his delicious pickled onions. grin