Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking forward to seeing Diana programmes on next week

(121 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 09-Aug-20 13:21:47

I’ve just noticed there are three programmes coming on next wed thurs, and fri, about Diana, on channel 5, as I was a great fan I will be tuning in, but have to say I will mute the interview with Paul Burrell having his say! Will anyone else be watching it?

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 15:41:01

Harold ?, can’t recall his name sorry, but I remember seeing a
photograph of them together

Perhaps I was a loose female , I had sex in my teens , I knew I
wasn’t to get pregnant but not I had to remain a virgin

Parsley3 Sun 16-Aug-20 14:57:30

Who was Diana’s boyfriend before Charles?

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 14:50:06

Sparkle did all unmarried women in those circles keep themselves ‘tidy’ incase the heir to the throne proposed to them ? If Diana wasn’t told was she just hopeful she would be
that future bride ?

She did have a boyfriend before Charles

Sparklefizz Sun 16-Aug-20 12:41:23

Annie Even I know that back then the future king's bride was supposed not to have a sexual history, which Diana delicately worded as "tidy". I'm sure all those mixing in those circles realised that and no one needed to be "told".

I think Charles is doing a reasonable job now and I am not against him. Pity he didn't have the courage to stand up to the Establishment and go for Camilla at the start as she was the one he wanted, but of course she was a party girl who had had several lovers, so she was not "tidy" and also didn't wait for him when he was off in the Navy. She took matters out of his hands.

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 12:32:55

Sparkle I am not ‘team anyone’. I did not and do not loath
Diana.

Why did she ‘always know she had to be tidy’, who told her this , her father ?

I defend Charles because I think the judgement here is harsh,
can it be be because he is a Male .

I feel so sorry for Diana suffering mental health problems, but
disliked her manipulative nature

Sparklefizz Sun 16-Aug-20 12:10:06

Annie You seem to know far more than I do about what the Windsors and Spencers thought.

I do think Diana was in love with Charles. When asked what she thought of him, she said "Amazing", and everyone knows his comment "Whatever love is." Hardly a ringing endorsement for his young fiancee standing next to him.

You've made it clear that you absolutely loathe Diana with a vengeance. I don't.

here were faults on both sides but I still think she was a lamb to the slaughter. He had to marry a virgin and was unlikely to find one. She didn't have to marry anybody. She had a happy life.

If anyone changed the monarchy, Diana did, with her kindness and empathy and ease with people. When an old lady in the crowd during a walkabout said to her "You must be cold" Diana laughed and replied that she'd got her thermals on underneath! She had a natural way with people and we liked her for it. Charles was jealous that the crowds all wanted to see her and not him.

You will never change my mind from being on Team Diana, Annie, just as I wouldn't attempt to change yours.

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 11:10:02

Numerous charities missed her support when she dropped them.

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 11:08:45

Sparkle she certainly wasn’t a Megan Markle, her father wanted one of his daughters to have the title , his second daughter was the first , that ended because she spoke to the press. Next was Diana, her father had been equerry to the Queens father and then the Queen, her grandmother Lady
Fermoy lady in waiting and close friend of the Queen Mother,
the Spencer’s were friends with the Windsors, the Queen was a guest at the wedding. The Spencer’s lived in Sandringham until he inherited his title. Her brother in law was private
Secretary to the Wueen.

Arranged marriages happened in that circle . I don’t think Diana was madly in love with Charles.

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 11:04:52

Anniebach

Bitterness ? She wasn’t a politician, she was a woman in the public eye , so this is a discussion on someone who was very much in the public eye.

I don’t understand your point about not being a politician and I don’t understand the unswerving support for Charles and camilla to be honest but I’ll leave you to it.
Fact remains Diana died far too young leaving two children bereft (plus numerous charities missing her patronage I expect. )

Sparklefizz Sun 16-Aug-20 10:50:55

Annie There has never been any suggestion that she loved the title of Princess of Wales.

She was shy and unassuming, aristocratic in her own right, and not overly ambitious. She most definitely was not a Meghan Markle social climber.

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 10:12:37

Did she love Charles or the title Princess of Wales , I feel sad for her she had such a need to please her father,

Why is everything she said believed yet Charles is a liar ?

Charles and Camilla were part of ‘a country set’, he is Godfather to her son, Andrew Parker Bowles is Godfather to
Zara Phillips, Anne dated Parker Bowles, they were all into
country pursuits , hunting, shooting, horses, polo, fishing ,
Anne isn’t accused of having an affair with Parker Bowles yet
Charles is accused of having an affair with Camilla.

Diana was a town girl, and sadly very needy, she had emotional problems before she started the relationship with
Charles.

He said he did have an affair with Camilla when his marriage
had broken down, why is this not believed ? Because Diana and the media said there was an affair at the time of the
marriage.

Diana had doubts about getting married as did Charles,

Sparklefizz Sun 16-Aug-20 09:49:09

To my mind Diana was always more sinned against than sinning.

She went into the marriage in love with Charles. He went into the marriage still in love with Camilla. She was clearly terribly stressed and unhappy to develop Bulimia which can bring on depression. She was looking for love. She didn't find it. I have great compassion for her.

Yes, she had flaws - show me someone who doesn't. But I don't think she would have had affairs if she had had family support from both sides, and had been able to trust Charles.

I will always be Team Diana.

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 09:43:01

Bitterness ? She wasn’t a politician, she was a woman in the public eye , so this is a discussion on someone who was very much in the public eye.

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 08:53:28

Still don’t get why so much bitterness towards Diana, but there you go.

Anniebach Sun 16-Aug-20 08:37:50

There was a guarantee that there would be children ?

Again we have ‘a 19 year old girl is so innocent’,

sparklingsilver28 Sat 15-Aug-20 23:52:01

Annieback: To marry an innocent young woman to provide an heir (in other words to use her as nothing more than a broodmare) in my eyes makes that person morally corrupt. In his position he should have set an unimpeachable example for his children and the country.

grannyrebel7 Sat 15-Aug-20 21:45:31

No, I won't be watching. I think they should let Diana rest in peace.

Anniebach Sat 15-Aug-20 21:38:45

At that time I was helping at a drop in centre for people with
mental illnesses, we were talking about the grief being expressed, psychologist said many were grieving for themselves, they saw themselves in Diana, the betrayed wife,
the victim.

Iam64 Sat 15-Aug-20 18:56:23

Sparklefizz, great posts, thanks.

I confess, I wore a "Don't Do it Di" badge on my dungarees. I was 36 and had been an 18 year old bride earlier in my life. At least my own disastrous first marriage wasn't played out in public.

Anniebach Sat 15-Aug-20 18:53:54

Yes Sparklefizz but to say ‘there were three in the marriage’
when she had been the third in other marriages ,

We all have different thoughts on this, if my husband had affairs I would have been devastated but couldn’t have inflicted
that hurt on another woman,

Mapleleaf Sat 15-Aug-20 18:47:57

I haven't read all the posts but one or two I have read refer to Catherine, Diana and Megan as being "too thin". Imagine the uproar if you said someone was "too fat". In this politically correct age, referring to someone's size if they are obese risks you being shot down in flames. Not, it seems, if you say someone is too thin...

Sparklefizz Sat 15-Aug-20 18:22:29

Annie ^what of the wives of the men Diana had
affairs with ?^

Why blame only Diana? Did those men have no say in the matter?

netflixfan Sat 15-Aug-20 18:20:13

Good point Anniebach! as one who suffered by marriage to a womaniser!

netflixfan Sat 15-Aug-20 18:19:10

I will TrendyNannie6. I watch anything royal, and really Im not a monarchist at all, so I cant explain why. Nosiness Im thinking!

Anniebach Sat 15-Aug-20 18:13:45

sparklingsilver what of the wives of the men Diana had
affairs with ?