Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(64 Posts)
12Michael Wed 12-Aug-20 06:16:32

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry but signs of an overnight shower here in Brackley this morning .
Yesterdays , trip out was interesting my first experience of the Monday to Wednesday eat out and get it cheaper , I went to the cafe I use in Buckingham , not thinking that just having a coffee would qualify I paid £1 for something I normally pay £2 for.
Today , quiet small shop, then cycling on TV this afternoon , hoping that it is cooler as well.
Take Care ,
Mick

mumofmadboys Wed 12-Aug-20 09:43:17

Must admit Gelisajams we were both knackered!! Lots of folk on the top - maybe 100! But they were mainly in their 20s and 30s. Not many oldies like us!

Gelisajams Wed 12-Aug-20 09:38:54

I’m impressed with you climbing Scafell Pike in the heat we had yesterday Mumofmadboys. It’s about 5 years since I was on the top of Scafell Pike and it wasn’t easy getting up there, or getting back down!

Georgesgran Wed 12-Aug-20 09:31:13

Good morning from an overcast Durham - think we could do with a good downpour here to clear the air.

Monumental c*ck-up with DH’s hospital appointment yesterday! Had a long standing appointment, then received a letter offering a telephone consultation for the same day at exactly the same time - obviously wanting to keep face-to-face limited because of Covid? NO!
It would appear a complete coincidence that the ‘phone call was a different appointment, so we actually missed a more important appointment waiting at home for the phone call! Same time? Same day? Isn’t there any ‘joined up writing’ these days! We couldn’t be in 2 places at the same time!

Anyway DH has gone out for a few hours - a bit of respite for both of us, so I can crack on with emails to update his sister on his condition.

Have a good day everyone. X

mumofmadboys Wed 12-Aug-20 09:28:19

We walked / climbed up Scafell Pike from Borrowdale yesterday. Lovely day but demanding! Lazy day today definitely! Take care everyone and keep safe.

Mapleleaf Wed 12-Aug-20 09:20:16

Good morning,

Well the sun is shining again for now and it's getting hot. There was a storm and downpour around 4 am but I drifted back to sleep so apparently missed the worst of it.

Went to the hairdressers yesterday and feel normal again- the wicked witch of the west look has gone! ??

My friend came round for a catch up yesterday afternoon. We socially distanced in the garden. It's her first visit to my house since lockdown began. We had a good catch up.

So glad to hear that your little grandson is feeling better, susan and as I said yesterday, I hope all goes well for him next week.

I've only flicked through the posts, so sorry if I've missed anyone, but send good wishes to you all. Take care. ?

Froglady Wed 12-Aug-20 09:04:06

Looks as if Blackburn may be getting some of this sun that other people in other areas have been experiencing. I find it so depressing to be stuck indoors in a lockdown.

gillybob Wed 12-Aug-20 08:59:19

Good morning from the NE coast where we have had the fog horn blasting all night and a thick, damp mist rolling in from the sea...... oh how I long for a little bit of sunshine

I’m off to a bit of a late start today after a not so good night so I will be a little late arriving at “that place” today. I had little Evie yesterday afternoon until quite late and it was all I could do to keep her awake in the car on the way home . Good job she’s as good as gold and not a pick of bother .

Reading about the eating out scheme that others are taking advantage of it seems that there are no participants in our town (hardly surprising mind you) as my sister and her partner rang round lots of different restaurants and couldn’t find one . I always thought it was probably a scheme aimed at the middle class and not for downtrodden towns like ours.

I am sad to see that the jobless figures have risen quite dramatically again and that once again the North East have come top of the one list you don’t want to be top of . Listening to an MP talking on the news last night she didn’t have a bleedin’ clue. Probably never even visited the North East in her life .

Well enough of my ramblings I really must leave for work . Wednesday is my 3rd worst day of the week or my 4th best depending on what mood I am in ....no prizes for guessing today??

Still thinking about our missing friends BlueSapphire and Dragonfly and those who are not feeling too good especially CherryCezzy and of course Marydoll .

Glad to hear your little Henry is feeling better now Susan56 it must be such a worry for you all. I hope they can get to the bottom of it very soon. My little Evie has allergies but nothing in comparison to your little lamb Henry.

I bet you are shattered after 3 days decorating and now off to work Scentia I know that feeling very well . So glad you are getting orders flowing in . It keeps me hopeful . ?

Also glad to hear that your DH is home from hospital Grammaretto .

Must get a shake on or I will meet myself coming back .

Take care all and have the best Wednesday possible .
Love Gillybob Xx

brook2704 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:52:36

❤️❤️ marydoll hope your precious DGD settles well in school and thinking of all the GNs in Scotland with DGC either starting school today or going back - hope all goes well for everyone - and the teachers too! ?

Anniebach Wed 12-Aug-20 08:49:21

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

BladeAnnie Wed 12-Aug-20 08:47:47

Good morning from a very warm and sticky mid-Notts - I already feel like I am melting!! No plans as such today thankfully although Mr BA has a meeting to attend. The rarity of a non-virtual meeting - his first one since February (his company began the work lockdown several weeks before Boris began the national one). Hope everyone has the best day possible and please stay safe x

Grandmafrench Wed 12-Aug-20 08:41:44

Good Morning everyone.

Phew! Too many suffering from the humidity and lack of ? sleep. Can I wish you some nice strong winds to clear all that ‘mug’. Humidity finishes me......I loathe it. It might get really hot here but as long as the air is dry (and I have a cool bedroom) life is good. No one wants to feel they’re struggling in a tropical jungle.

So glad to hear that Mr Gram is home and that baby Henry is better. Bittersweet day for all Grans whose tiny GC start school - especially under such difficult circumstances. I expect the emotion will still feel the same, though.

Pleased you’re on The List, Mellow.....take care and be kind to your poor old hip until you get your brand new one.

Just off to get my little car ? MOT’d and then to a supermarket to shop for a garden supper planned tomorrow. Not seen these dear friends since February, so a noisy, happy evening outside will be our first chance of a catch-up. Must buy some more candles - the sort that deter the mozzies - and call in at another friend’s wine Cave, for supplies.

Don’t want to be late for the garage rendezvous, so will wish you all a good day, as safe as possible from too many worries and problems. Try to have the happiest Wednesday, all.
Please take care of yourselves and each other.
Hugs from ??

harrigran Wed 12-Aug-20 08:41:32

Good morning from a grey and misty NE.
Prescription to collect today but nothing else planned.
DS and family are on holiday at the weekend, still going ahead as far as I know and yesterday my sister said she is going away next week.
I need to sort out GD's birthday gifts but no hints as yet.

Nortsat Wed 12-Aug-20 08:25:49

Good morning Mick and the GM team from sunny east London. We managed to sleep quite well last night with the aid of two fans in the bedroom.
I must do my walk early, before the day heats up.

Stilllearning I did laugh at your DGS deciding he ‘wouldn’t bother’ with school. ( I remember clearly when I started school, I was very surprised that after the first day, I had to go again, the next day).

I have baked some salmon for supper, so minimal cooking today. We are finding that by about 8.00pm it’s much cooler outside in the garden and then we can enjoy our supper.
The poor cats are like limp rags.

Have a good day all. Hello to Bluesapphire, Dragonfly And Purplepixie. ? to those who need them. ?

Puzzler61 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:20:57

Good morning Mick and All.
It got so hot yesterday and when darkness fell we had a silent thunderstorm for ages. The lightning was non stop. Many photo’s were taken and circulated in Worcs. Very eerie.

Despite that I slept a long deep sleep and woke late.

Good to hear so many posters are taking themselves out to have Rishi meals. It will help the economy. Gloomy stats were released yesterday about the jobless figures and a new recession.

Glad to hear you’ve been allowed to go on the waiting list Mellow . After a period of recuperation you will be pain free and able to be so much more active. ?

I’ll be seeing my sister today. We haven’t decided who will visit who but it’s a question of whose car “needs a good run out” more. Can’t be doing with a flat battery again!

Take care of yourselves if you are still sweltering. Keep hydrated. ?

monk08 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:15:26

Good morning from Black country Stillearning we had the dramatic lightning also stood for nearly an hour with neighbours oohing and aahing it was sight to behold. Shopping later then out with friends socially distancing for a drink.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:14:58

Good morning from a sodden north of Scotland where my ears are still ringing from the thunder which went on for hours last night. Lots of lightning and torrents of rain. I feel sorry for all those in tents, which although probably waterproof, will be in a very muddy puddle this morning. I am still having supermarket deliveries because there are so many tourists here from all over Europe as well as the UK that I am being very cautious. Take care everyone.

Lins1066 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:12:33

Good Morning Mick and all. It is a sunny start here on our part of the S Welsh coast. Yesterday was a beautiful day and spent much of it sitting in the garden, we ate supper on the patio, it was a lovely evening. We made the most of it as thunderstorms are forecast for the next couple of days.
So glad that Henry is better Susan, enjoy your meal out.
Good to hear that Mr Grammaretto is home from hospital. Hope Marydoll is feeling a bit better.
Have a good day and stay safe everyone.

Stilllearning Wed 12-Aug-20 08:02:57

Good morning from a lovely fresh Lanarkshire after a night of dramatic lightning. Youngest DGS starts school today and decided yesterday that he didn’t think he would bother. DD took him and his sister for a walk round the school grounds and showed them where they would line up and by luck met his teacher who gave him a lovely welcome so here’s hoping that helped!
I’m going to travel to be there when they comes home and have my finger crossed! A good day to all x

MellowYellow Wed 12-Aug-20 08:00:53

Morning everyone from a breezy and not too clammy south Cornwall. You all sound so hot, but it's eased a bit here, phew. My consultant rang yesterday as planned, am finally on the waiting list for two hip replacements, next spring!! To be expected really, and at least it's in the pipeline. No small children to play with today and I must get myself some new sandals so may venture afar to my nearest M&S. Oh, a young robin is just feasting on blackberries near my window, tasty breakfast. Have the best day you can, everyone.

Marydoll Wed 12-Aug-20 07:59:00

Good morning all from a sunny, but muggy Glasgow.
I've had a night of nightmares and I'm wrung out. It's a side effect, I usually get on the night of treatment, I was just saying yesterday I had thought I had got away with it, but I'm like a washed out rag! ????

It's a very special day today. My precious wee granddaughter starts school this morning. She is indeed precious, born after fifteen years of trying and nearly died at birth. She was born just as I was told that I was told that I too unwell to ever teach again, ?, a very low point in my life. What joy she has brought us. ?

I'm unable to go to the school this morning , as planned months ago , it will be very busy and I can't be near people, too risky. Disappointed doesn't cover how I feel, but it's for the best.
It would also have been an opportunity to see some of my former colleagues, but it's not to be.

Hopefully DS is bringing her down after school for a photo shoot with us and her other grandparents, who are our neighbours. ?

I haven't been out for over two weeks, not even my usual walk over the fields, so DH has offered to take me a run to the sea to cheer me up. His words, not mind.
However, I have just noticed that the sky has become very dark all of a sudden. ⛈️ We have probably had the worst summer ever!

Hoping that Misters Gillybob and Grammaretto are making good progress, wee Henry has a good day and as always, thinking of all our poorly friends, who are posting or not.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Goodbyetoallthat Wed 12-Aug-20 07:54:11

Good morning from a currently sunny Swansea as we seem to avoided the storms so far.
Off to the supermarket this afternoon to stock up for my daughter & her family who are coming to stay as their holiday in West Wales was cancelled.
I work in higher education so we are trying to sort out plans for the return of the students in September!

cornergran Wed 12-Aug-20 07:52:24

Morning Mick, morning All. Our corner of Somerset is clouding over. Meeting a friend for a (slow) walk round a lake and a (long) sit on our chairs this morning assuming no storms arrive. Be careful out there everyone.

Grammaretto Wed 12-Aug-20 07:50:21

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. We had thunder and lightning last night and torrential rain. It went on for ages. There'll be flooding in the town by the river.
It was like a tropical storm without the heat.
DGD first day of school today.
DH is home from hospital and much better.
Thanks for all your kind thoughts and messages.

I'm glad that baby Henry is doing well Susan56 Enjoy your meal out.

I hope to go to yarn group today but sitting outdoors does not look likely.

Greyduster Wed 12-Aug-20 07:46:45

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a warm, sunny South Yorkshire. Holiday over. A very sticky night and some thunder but, as Kitty says, not enough rain. Mountains of laundry to do today, the car needs cleaning and the garden sorely needs attention. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted! Have a good safe day folks.

Pittcity Wed 12-Aug-20 07:45:13

Good morning from sunny Colchester. Another hot, sticky day ahead.
I've been sweating buckets just moving from one room to another, so will be giving the weekly meetup in the park a miss this week. Bring on the storms for fresher weather ⛈️