Gransnet forums

Chat

Heating

(45 Posts)
Nanderin Sun 16-Aug-20 07:32:09

Hi everyone has any had their heating on yet.

cornergran Wed 19-Aug-20 12:17:18

charley, you may find your fan and cooling pad have the same effect as our new garden parasol stand - not seen any sun since grin.

Charleygirl5 Wed 19-Aug-20 12:13:49

I agree with AGAA4 it has been unbearable living in NW London and I am delighted today is 18C with light rain.

I think I preferred gillybob's weather to ours because I could not do a thing for days on end.

The hot weather will not return here because I am now prepared with a cooling pad and a beautiful silent fan.

ExD Wed 19-Aug-20 11:58:33

Our heating system is old, but works perfectly (famous last words) and I see no reason to upset things by fitting a thermostat. If I'm warm enough I turn it off, if I'm cold I turn it back on.
But the north didn't experience the long hot summer (though the BBC weather man ignored us) and I've had some form of heat on several times.
I awoke to a lovely summer morning, now its cooler and I need another layer. We expect gales and rain overnight. Nothing if not interesting.

MiniMoon Mon 17-Aug-20 23:12:34

I've had our heating on two days running. I too live in the North East. The centre of Britain has not had the best of summers. Our house faces east and consequently gets very little sun.
I had a good excuse this morning though. It was damp outside, and I wanted to dry the washing that couldn't be tumble dried.
Wish us luck tomorrow, we are going out to the coast for the day.

cornergran Mon 17-Aug-20 22:46:41

Not needed the heating but did disappear under a blanket on a recent chilly day, car showed it was 16 degrees outside. Forgot a window was open when today’s downpour came, soaking wet blinds, window ledge and carpet. Fan heater dried it, very warm in that room smile.

gillybob Mon 17-Aug-20 17:31:01

Yes indeed Aldom I’ve had the heating on a few times this month as it’s been a non existent summer here on the NE coast . In fact I think we went straight from Spring to Autumn and missed the summer altogether.

AGAA4 Mon 17-Aug-20 17:26:13

I would have gladly sent the hot, humid weather we have had here to anyone who wanted it. Looking forward to the autumn with it's usually more gentle heat.

Jayt Mon 17-Aug-20 16:01:58

Our heating is thermostatically controlled so if the temperature drops below a certain level it comes on. My DH believes it is nonsense turning off central heating when thermostats do the work for you. Obviously, when the weather is warm it never comes on and when it’s cooler, as it has been over the last few mornings, the heating automatically brings the house up to temperature.

sparklingsilver28 Mon 17-Aug-20 15:58:01

Here on the North East coast, seventeen miles from Berwick on Tweed, it has been a lovely year, warm sunny days with rain late evening and through the night. Not a lover of hot weather, and even though raining here today, the French Doors and back door propped wide open along with all windows upstairs - lovely fresh air coming in. I grew up in the Midlands when winter meant digging out, snow and ice, in order to leave the house and coping with ice on the inside of the bathroom window first thing in the morning. No central heating and you dressed with layers of clothing appropriate for the season. I find my daughter and friends dress the same whatever the season and complain in winter they are cold. My mother's answer would be "stop complaining and go and put on another layer and/or something warmer".

ExD Mon 17-Aug-20 15:31:00

YES Nanderin, I have - well I put an electric fire on this morning, it was distinctly chilly, definitely on the cold side of comfortable. It rained cats and dogs during the night and everything's sodden, I would expect to see some flooding in the usual places because there's a huge puddle in the road outside our gate and the birdbath is overflowing.
At lease its easier to work in these conditions.

crazyH Mon 17-Aug-20 15:25:11

As most posters said, my thermostat (set at 18degrees) does the job for me .....

Peardrop50 Mon 17-Aug-20 15:15:56

Anglesey weather has been pretty unpredictable. We use our heating in the same way as Esspee, thermostat set at 15' so that it comes on when we get below that, hasn't come on much. We have underfloor heating on the groundfloor so like a massive storage heater, the house walls are two feet thick so stays warm in winter or cool in summer.
Where are you Nanderin? North Pole perhaps.

Georgesgran Mon 17-Aug-20 15:03:49

Same here in Durham. Heating on one day last week - possibly Tuesday and again last night.
Perhaps we should get our energy cheaper ‘up North’, as we use so much?? ??.

Bixiboo Mon 17-Aug-20 14:52:01

Had my heating on the last couple of nights Nanderin, it’s been pretty chilly here in the North East. I know it’s ridiculous having heating on in August but it’s better than being cold and miserable.

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Aug-20 14:50:57

I think in June I switched the heating on some evenings because it felt like winter here.

Now I have mega problems staying cool. It is so unfair when some have hardly seen the sun whereas in London we have had 34C for 5 consecutive days and now it is cooler at around 24C but more my type of weather.

glammanana Mon 17-Aug-20 14:45:02

Mines not been on since beginning of March warm fleece tops and fluffy dressing gowns do me fine.

Callistemon Mon 17-Aug-20 14:27:49

Where are our Australian and New Zealand grans and grandads when we need them?

I'm sitting out in the garden ?

(It'll serve me right for if I have to make a dash indoors in a minute ?)

BBbevan Mon 17-Aug-20 14:05:42

No, but the oil tank is full and we are just about to order logs. We might all be in doors again this winter.

Bridie22 Sun 16-Aug-20 14:34:09

North easterner here, it's been an atrocious week, grey, drizzly, foggy, misty, today is gloomy , seriously thinking of putting either the fire or heating on for awhile.
Very jealous of all who have had the sunny weather.

Esspee Sun 16-Aug-20 14:28:08

Surely heating should be on permanently with thermostat controls and a timer so that it automatically comes on if cold.
That is how I have always worked my heating (and central air conditioning when living in the tropics).

Chewbacca Sun 16-Aug-20 14:08:57

Can't remember the last time I put the heating on...... April maybe? Thermostat is set to come on automatically if the room temperature falls below 20 degrees but it's not fallen below that yet. And it's very warm again here today. ☀️

Helen657 Sun 16-Aug-20 14:04:09

I’ve just given in and put my heating on for a 30 minute boost. It’s 16 degrees here in Yorkshire and I’m wearing leggings, a long sleeved T-shirt and a fleecy gilet!

Franbern Sun 16-Aug-20 13:16:13

Barneyoldbat -I also live in North Somerset. Last night I had my Patio door open until I went to bed, have kept windows open throughout my flat for weeks now. Window bedroom wide open, Only using a sheet to sleep under and had fan on when I first went to bed. Perhaps you have a microclimate where you live.

mrswoo Sun 16-Aug-20 12:06:16

I'm in the NE and it's cold enough to put the heating on. We are having work done in the garden and our doors are open front and back as the workmen come back and forth with paving slabs, etc etc etc. Unfortunately we dont have a side entrance.
I'm currently wearing a long sleeve thermal vest, tee shirt and sweater to try and keep warm.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 16-Aug-20 11:44:34

Did think about it last night wile watching the telly but opted for a hot water bottle and blanket instead. Live in North Somerset.