Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby Name has caused a rift

(202 Posts)
MummyJoJo62 Wed 19-Aug-20 13:19:35

I feel I should almost whisper this as I have surprised myself with how upset I became as I have always held the mantra of "A rose would still smell as sweet were it a rose not called' and all that ,sorry if I have misquoted Its been a while since O level and I only got an E! Anyway has anybody really really really hated a name that has been given to your grandchild and did you manage to keep your mouth shut about it? I didn't! OOPs!

felice Sat 22-Aug-20 11:58:48

DGS and I passed a family while out walking a couple of months ago, they were speaking English with accents.
Little boy about 3 ran on ahead and the Mother shouted loudly, 'Adolf".
Now I know we have moved on but here he is still a very hated figure, not sure how he will get on at school.
I have never really liked DGS name, ( a bit common, to me) SIL chose it which I found a bit strange as it is neither of the local languages and even he sometimes pronounces it incorrectly.
When I am out with him I am always being asked which part of Ireland we come from [hmmm]

Callistemon Sat 22-Aug-20 10:04:53

I know at least two young boys who are called Arlo, one whose father is Italian.
It's Italian for Charles.

Spangler Sat 22-Aug-20 09:10:11

Moon Unit is not a name that springs to mind, but that' what Frank Zappa called his daughter.

I wonder what her Grandparents thought of it?

Nannarose Fri 21-Aug-20 13:55:05

Arlo is quite an old name I think. Arlo Guthrie is an American singer-songwriter (City of New Orleans). His dad was Woody Guthrie.

GrannyAnnie2010 Fri 21-Aug-20 13:49:17

songstress60

I don't like this modern trend of giving children fancy names as it can leave the child open to bullying. I would mention that as it is a valid point. I know my niece has a horrible middle name and my mother bluntly told my sister it was awful. Thing is my niece who is now 24 also hates her middle name.

They're all at it, so no-one will stand out particularly. There'll be 3 called Judo, 2 called Mitre, 4 called Roman, another 3 called Loki, 2 more called Synne, and there you have it. Amy is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Saggi Fri 21-Aug-20 13:47:55

My sister told me yesterday she had become a Great-Grandmother for first time....she sent photo of the little lad and informed me he was called Arlo....she said she dislikes the name , I love it! Within a day my best friend told me her cousin had just had a son .... called Arlo... total amazement all round,..she doesn’t like it either! There must be a famous Arlo somewhere for people to start using it! Names are for parents to choose.... I didn’t really like my granddaughters’ name when told it, but it has grown on me! And just think it could r been worse , it could e been Chantelle...or Shareez...or Sakura. All names I’ve heard lately yelled at kids....uurrrgh!

justwokeup Fri 21-Aug-20 12:01:57

My much-loved DGF thought my name was too modern so called me by my second name. I thought that name was very old-fashioned (named after an aunt) but I loved it that he called me that.
MummyJoJo62 congratulations on DGC. Not sure if you are a new GM but learn the lesson quickly! Never pass comment unless asked for. Still can't do it and I'm trying really hard! hmm

Madmaggie Fri 21-Aug-20 11:12:11

I'd suggest giving the child your own pet name such as poppet. No matter what you call a child, wrangling all the variations around in your head to avoid boo boos once they get older their friends will award them a nick name! I have heard of a Teresa Green and a Dwayne Pipe. As grandparents we just have to grin and bear it. However, IF you are asked for your opinion sometimes silence can speak louder ??

seacliff Fri 21-Aug-20 10:19:46

It's nice to have a versatile name, so the owner has various options as they get older. ie Elizabeth, Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Bet , Lib, Libbie, Liza etc.

Alexa Fri 21-Aug-20 10:14:18

I know parents who named their girl Elizabeth because it was a traditional name and the name of a respected queen and would not become strange, or outlandish, or unfashionable .

MawB2 Fri 21-Aug-20 09:33:42

Initials?
My sister in law , the youngest of 4, has initials which spell END
She was too!

seacliff Fri 21-Aug-20 09:27:28

Someone I know has twin girls. One has a quite classic pretty name.

The other is old fashioned but OK. My main worry with it, is when you put it with the surname, I can see there is a possible sexual connotation from it, and I can just imagine kids at school latching on to it. She may well wish she'd had her sisters name in years to come, who knows.

We would not say anything. I would just urge people when choosing names, to think what the initials spell out, and what rude phrases come to mind when you say the name.

GreenGran78 Fri 21-Aug-20 09:20:41

Thanks, Welbeck. I like the name, too, after the initial shock. Both names belong to celebrities, so aren’t at all strange. It’s just the connection with home that took some getting used to.
Although he’s my 4th GC he is actually the first one that is a ‘blood relation. My adopted daughter has two children, and my other daughter’s child is from an egg donor. It doesn’t make the slightest difference though. I love them all dearly. I can’t wait to get over to Oz to see the two little ones, and my 17 year old GS who was staying with his Dad over there, and is stranded because of the virus. Thank heavens for the internet. The family are very good about keeping in touch, so I’m building up a relationship with the baby, and can read bedtime stories to my 3 year old GD.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Aug-20 08:44:00

When I was a child, I was given a family nic name that stated with me into adulthood; I really liked that nic name, it suited me well. So I was delighted that DS and DIL named GS that. Very honoured!

barbaranrod Fri 21-Aug-20 08:38:28

one of my great GD has one of these unusual names that i personally did not like ,,we are a close family and we all went to the scan ,and when the nurse said ,"oh its a Pinky " that is what she ,in my eyes became ,and to this day ,that is what i call her ,Pinky ,Bless her ,she is 5 now and i am the only one who calls her that ,but it is accepted that is her name from me ,

BlueBelle Fri 21-Aug-20 08:28:17

Zimbabweans are wonderful at naming their children I knew lots of Innocents and Precious es TenderI also had a Ringostar (Don’t you love that) and best of all ‘Last‘ because she was so sure he was and ....then she had another
I have one granddaughter overseas with a name that in U.K. is a boys name but in her country a girls name Then I have a boy with a name that’s a girls name in USA
But I love all my grandkids names whether I did to start with or not they are all part of them

Humbertbear Fri 21-Aug-20 07:51:27

I still don’t like the name given to my youngest grand daughter and she will be 9 in a couple of weeks. My husband said it was a good job I was told the name over the phone as I don’t have a good poker face. A friend of mine actually burst out laughing when her son (also on the phone ) told her the name of her new grandson. She has never been forgiven.
You don’t have to like the name - you love the child.

Spangler Fri 21-Aug-20 07:38:24

What, I wonder, would Grandparents think of Spangler Arlington Brugh for their Grandchild's name?

It's the real name of a very famous Hollywood actor in the 1940's. MGM decided that it didn't roll off the tongue all that well and gave him a more "acceptable name."

Ironflower Fri 21-Aug-20 06:44:38

Names and society changes every generation. The newer generation is reusing some very old names as well as new names. My mum has insulted every one of my kid's names, saying they are old-fashioned (Oliver and Ivy being two of them), she suggested James. I had to remind her that James was popular in the 80s/90s when she named kids, right now Oliver is one of the most popular names (not why I chose it though). What's 'old-fashioned' might actually not be.

On the other post I'm pretty sure the name was Lilith. I also read about a couple that named their daughter that. While many in the older generation are very against this name, it just doesn't have the same affect on the younger generation. The name you think might be a laughing stock might actually not be.

Also it's parents choice and all you unfortunately did was cause tension.

songstress60 Fri 21-Aug-20 06:17:46

I don't like this modern trend of giving children fancy names as it can leave the child open to bullying. I would mention that as it is a valid point. I know my niece has a horrible middle name and my mother bluntly told my sister it was awful. Thing is my niece who is now 24 also hates her middle name.

Lynnp Fri 21-Aug-20 00:02:53

I'm trying to get used to my Grandson's name. He's two months old and named after my dad, which you'd think would be lovely. I haven't told my daughter but it just makes me sad to hear the name since I held dad's hand as he died five years ago. It's not something I want to think about, but it's very difficult not to now I hear his name all the time. It is getting easier though, and my grandson is an absolute delight!

Summerlove Thu 20-Aug-20 23:27:41

MummyJoJo62

Id be interested to know how I could find it.My point is that he has to carry the name into adulthood and I hate the thought of him not being taken seriously. I know I may not be around to let it affect me but we could say that about the planet! I have apologised and yet she knows that I still don't like it. Hey ho

It’s none of your business how his name reflects him growing up.

If he dislikes it, he’ll change it.

You’ve apologised, now it’s time to lay low. You were so very wrong, but you know that now

geekesse Thu 20-Aug-20 22:50:46

A clergy friend of mine, now deceased, worked in Trinidad Many years ago, and had to baptise a baby Sputnik Kellog.

I have to say, I was very touched that my daughter-in-law and son gave my baby granddaughter my dear late Mum-in law’s unusual name as an additional christian name.

welbeck Thu 20-Aug-20 22:29:16

GreenGran78
i think that's a fine name, sounds very distinguished, like an author.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Aug-20 21:45:11

I really liked Todd when my grandson was due.

I think it means fox.

Selfishly, she wouldn't comply with my wishes though.