Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(60 Posts)
12Michael Wed 26-Aug-20 06:17:54

Good Morning Everyone,
Its grey at present dry but windy here in Brackley this morning .
Nice easy day for me , small shop ,and then will watch cycling on TV.
Maybe some small household chores as well .
Yesterdays bus trip was OK , as the rain eased a little but the wind did not.
Take Care ,
Mick

Kalu Wed 26-Aug-20 08:03:24

Happy Birthday Beechnut????.

If ever proof was needed I was losing the plot, you have just witnessed it grandmafrench?. Enjoy your catch up lunch of non stop chatting.

Nortsat Wed 26-Aug-20 08:06:37

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a currently sunny east London.
Happy birthday Beechnut, hope you have a lovely day.

Like everyone, I am relieved that the wind has died down, it was indeed fierce.

I have a medical appointment today and then we have to take our elderly cat to the vet. She hates going in the car and cries piteously.

Hello to Bluesapphire and Dragonfly. Hoping Cherry had a better night and hello to Puzzler61, who doesn’t seem to have been on the GM thread for a little while. Have a good day all, ?

Gelisajams Wed 26-Aug-20 08:18:40

Good morning all. Wishing Beechnut a very Happy Birthday from a wet Morecambe Bay. Hopefully it will dry up as promised in the forecast so we can get a couple of lawns cut this afternoon. It’s set wet again tomorrow and Friday.
I’ve got a cupboard full of garden designs , which I have built up over the last fifteen years since I gave up teaching and started as a garden designer. They really do need sorting out, but it’s one of those jobs that I’ve been putting off. I think I need to get back designing rather than gardening - it’s much easier on my back. The problem is when I’ve designed a garden the client wants me to build it and that can be very hard work. My days of filling and emptying a cement mixer are long over!
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Marydoll Wed 26-Aug-20 08:20:31

Good morning all from a somewhat damp Glasgow. I'm not complaining, it's a vast improvement on yesterday's torrential rain.

Happy birthday Beechnut, I hope you have an enjoyable day.
I would like to thank everyone for their good wishes and kind PMs yesterday. It's now time to put the PM business to bed, methinks. Life is too short to dwell on the negatives in life.

I spent half of yesterday on an online chat with my credit card company, still trying to dispute the charges for the wedding.
When the wedding was cancelled, we started claims to retrieve the money we had paid, as the venue refused to refund, not being able to offer a new date.
I uploaded all the necessary paperwork and waited and waited and waited.
Yesterday DH received a letter with a completely different reference number, stating they were closing the dispute, as we hadn't furnished the necessary documents.??
It turns out someone had inadvertently marked the case as closed.

None of my security questions worked and I asked them to reset them. Four times I had to do it. Thank goodness I was used to this sort of thing in school, as the IT coordinator. At one point I had four windows open on my PC.
Are you still there? , the agent kept typing.
Of course I'm ** still here. It's taking so long for you to resolve this, I keep getting timed out and have to log in again,.
The end result was that despite all the discussion, I had to start the disputed charge process all over again.
After doing this I was another hour later, chatting online, trying to confirm with yet another agent that all the necessary documentation had been uploaded. You guessed, none of the security questions matched!?

It set me wondering. I had to scan receipts and invoices to do this. What if I wasn't IT literate? There was no other way to do this, apart scanning and uploading or faxing.
Own up you lovely grans how many have a fax machine just sitting at home waiting for a situation like this??? ? It's actually quite discriminatory, if people don't have access to technology.

I spent the rest of the day, unsuccessfully trying to print the wedding photos to put in frames. I'm a perfectionist and the tiny bit of border showing was really annoying me.
Today's task is to investigate my printer settings,. If all else fails, I shall try sending them to DHs printer. I'm still a geek at heart!?
If that doesn't work, I shall trim the white margins and rummage in my neglected crafting stash and mount them on card.
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done

I'm awaiting a delivery of my dreaded injections today. It's all so different from the usual medication fiasco, as it's organised by the hospital. Every so often, I get a phone call, asking what I need.

Scentia, enjoy your time with your grandchildren.
I too am wondering about Bellasnanna and our other missing grans.?
Take care everyone and have the best day you can.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 26-Aug-20 08:22:16

Happy birthday beechnut have a lovely day??

Morning Mike and everyone, the wind has dropped and the sun is shining, let’s hope it stays that way, rough day yesterday so bathroom shopping will have to be done tomorrow, DD2s dog here in a bit, so a nice restful day and hopefully a dry and sunny walk later.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Marydoll Wed 26-Aug-20 08:24:35

I forgot to send hugs to GM and Ginster, who must be so worried just now.?

Kalu Wed 26-Aug-20 08:26:16

Ah, cross posts and crossed wiring with my head these days Grandmafrench. Maybe I am the one who needs to lie in a darkened room???‍♀️

It’s crazy behaviour that takes over whenever visitors are expected and we rush around ensuring everything is tickety boo but I don’t suppose we will break the habit now. Being able to multitask is the gift of being female, or so it appears in this house anyway. ?
Although unable to multitask DH is also back to normal thank you.

harrigran Wed 26-Aug-20 08:29:08

Good morning from the NE where it is grey and wet again.
The workmen did not turn up to resurface the road after I cancelled the hairdresser.
My two expected parcels did arrive because the man from the big river could get into the estate.
My sister rang and we had a long chat, she has a fairly active social life which gives her company. She has visited friends and been out for meals and does a gymnastics class too.
Talking to her you would never know that the virus was still active.
DS and family are still enjoying better weather than us, good move to visit the outer Hebrides.
Happy birthday Beechnut, enjoy your day.

Urmstongran Wed 26-Aug-20 08:32:20

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga where we have another gorgeous day ahead of us ? I feel blessed this summer, enjoying all this sunshine!

Happy birthday Beechnut a fellow Virgoan ?

I finished my book on the equestrian world and really enjoyed it. Now I’ve started a novel by Jenny Eclair called ‘The Inheritance’. I’ve never read one by her before and so far it’s highly enjoyable and I’m hooked. So that’s me sorted for today - swimsuit and sundress, shades, flip flops and down into the gardens. I lose myself in a book and never get bored. It’s too hot for walking far anyway for another couple of weeks!
?

Hope you return home with your handbag Pantglas and you pick up that blue jacket from Seasalt NanKate - my kind of shopping ladies!

Hope Wednesday is kind to us all and that your son’s medical team are happy with his discharge grandMattie as that would set your mind at ease. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Newquay Wed 26-Aug-20 08:42:43

Good morning all from an overcast Staffs-what a wild day yesterday. Day 6 of our quarantine today since returning from Menorca. Last load of washing to go out today then pile of ironing.

Grandmabatty Wed 26-Aug-20 08:46:42

Good morning All. It is grey here in Polmont but a calmer grey than yesterday's storm. I have little planned for today. I'll visit mum then back home. If it stays dry, a bit of gardening. If it rains, I'll do some filing and shredding, I think. I'm happy for a quiet day as two days of entertaining a toddler is exhausting. Normally he is a sunny, happy wee chap but yesterday he was hard work! ☺. beechnut happy birthday. I hope everyone has a good day.

gillybob Wed 26-Aug-20 08:47:34

Good morning from the NE coast where we have had another night and day of torrential rain. It’s the usual grey and cold start today again with even more torrential rain, so no change. Why do you think our beaches, parks and countryside in the NE remain “unspoilt” GrandmaFrench ? It’s because no one wants to come on holiday to this rubbish weather and living close to the coast I tend to get it with bells on grin

If anyone dare mention global warming to me I might just scream.

I had to take my car in yesterday and they phoned to say it wouldn’t be ready to pick up until lunch time today which meant I had to make my own way home from work (that was another drenching) . It took me well over an hour to get home when in my car it would take 15 minutes . Then in the panic of locking up and setting the alarms in the torrential rain I left my phone on the windowsill (inside thankfully) and was best part of the way home when I realised . I’m now playing the almost unseen “boss” card and have telephoned the office and asked one of the lads to shoot down and pick me up in the van, I’m not going through that palaver again .

Well here we are it’s Wednesday (my joint 3rd worst, 4th best day of the week) . I’m still thinking about our missing friends BlueSapphire , dragonfly and now it seems our Bellasnana is missing too. I do hope they are all okay .

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday Beechnut I hope you have a lovely day whatever you do. flowers

I understand your frustrations Marydoll it’s a pain dealing with banks, Insurance’s etc. At the best of times but it’s 100 times worse at the minute as everyone seems to be “working” from home. I think I must’ve spent at least a month on hold to various organisations since March . Sometimes it just wears you down . I do hope you get sorted eventually .

That’s me off for another day of thrills in “that place” that knows no light . grin I’m counting the days .....and there’s only just over 3500 to go .......

Have as good a Wednesday as possible everyone.
Love Gillybob xx

Anniebach Wed 26-Aug-20 08:51:43

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Greyduster Wed 26-Aug-20 08:53:27

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a gloomy grey South Yorkshire. At least it’s dry. Not sure what we’re doing today except ironing, and getting together the makings of a picnichmm as we are going to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park tomorrow with DD and her menfolk. Yes, it’s going to rain, but having to book everything in advance now puts you on the back foot with the weather. But, nothing daunted......
A very Happy Birthday to you, Beechnut - enjoy your day??.

Nannytopsy Wed 26-Aug-20 09:00:22

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Our new dishwasher should be here soon after the lorry broke down yesterday, so I had better get dressed. It is still blowing a hooley in Suffolk after a night of rattling and banging. I have a shed load of ironing - that should keep me quiet!
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

lucyanne Wed 26-Aug-20 09:01:02

Good morning from wet Cumbria. 4% showers predicted it has been raining since 6 am! The squawking pheasants and grouse have invaded the garden foraging for fruit blown off the trees by the wind yesterday. Thinking of those that have been flooded across the country.

Physio am. a tricky business self diagnosing over the phone.

Susan56 I am happy for you to sort my garage out when you have finished yours may take more than a couple of days though!
Happy birthday Beechnut have a wonderful day. ??
Sending good health to all. Keep well.

GrannySomerset Wed 26-Aug-20 09:14:27

Expecting five WI friends for a garden chat this morning so must get a move on to decide whether we will sit in the garden room with the doors fully opened or risk outside where it is sunny but not hot yet. We have had a series of these meetings and it has been lovely to meet in a smaller group and get to know better people I have known a bit for years. Very successful initiative.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 26-Aug-20 09:32:49

Morning all from an overcast South Notts. Yesterday I had lunch with brother and his wife who will be moving up to the North East on Friday. I'm sorry to see them go but hope they are happy there and enjoy their new adventure.

A quiet day is planned but I must tackle the ironing - exciting, eh? I expect I'll spend the rest of the day at my leisure - sewing, reading and watching telly.

Hope today is good for everyone especially with illness or worries. Happy birthday Beechnut have a good day.

Susan56 Wed 26-Aug-20 09:34:48

Gingster,so sorry to hear your DGD is in hospital.I hope it turns out to be something that can be sorted and not an ongoing problem for her???

Lucy,the garage is going to be my husband’s autumn/winter project!There is a lot to sort out?

Urmstongran Wed 26-Aug-20 09:36:22

gillybob what a long wait hoping to secure that order. Stressful doesn’t cover it. Add in the rotten weather you’re having and no wonder you’re fed up.

Grandmabatty Wed 26-Aug-20 09:45:43

ginster when my dd was 14 she was minutes away from having her appendix removed until the doctors decided it was extreme period pains. The pill was prescribed which helped her a lot. She also had very bad mood swings too. Hopefully your dgd will get sorted out quickly.

Nannytopsy Wed 26-Aug-20 09:53:06

I have the lovely Nanny job of sewing name tags onto DGD’s first school uniform ?.
Happy Birthday Beechnut

EllanVannin Wed 26-Aug-20 09:54:27

Good Morning All x A Very Happy Birthday Beechnut flowers.
After two days of disgusting weather, it's still on the grim side today with a heavy grey sky but at least the gales have reduced to a breeze. It's really not nice living here open to what the Atlantic throws at us. As Gilly said---don't anyone mention global warming.

Needless to say, I couldn't hoover because the cats have been indoors and they don't like it but I must set-to at some point, though right now my get up and go has got up and gone grin Once I've had my crumpets and Ovaltine I'll be more lively.

Two large baked potatoes with grated cheese for the eating of today, so that'll make a nice change. No shopping today as I got what I needed yesterday after scurrying out before the worst of the weather. I'd had a good stock of everything in the cupboards before lockdown but you can notice a big difference now as it's dwindled. It just shows how much I over-buy, nevertheless it's carried me through.

This dampness brings the slugs in droves and I hate them. As I feed the old stray Tom outside, they appear from nowhere wanting to join in and night-time is worse as it gets dark they all gather in a heap and look like the head of Medusa.

Hope your DS gets on okay GrandMattie and anyone with illnesses and problems x

Call yourself a " geek " Marydoll, are you kidding ? Sounds like you did pretty well to me.

Take care everyone and enjoy the day xx
Thoughts to our poorly grans flowers

gillgran Wed 26-Aug-20 10:04:37

Good Morning to you all from a slightly less windy Cambs.,

Happy Birthday Beechnut.
Marydoll, I wouldn't be able to tackle the IT problems, ( we just about managed to set up on-line banking during lock down ). so well done you.
GrandMattie, good wishes for your DS's recovery.
You must be worried for your DGD Gingster, hope for a healthy outcome.

All best wishes to those of you under stress just now. flowers

Take Care Folks

Mapleleaf Wed 26-Aug-20 10:09:53

Good morning,

It's a grey and blustery South Yorkshire today, though dry for the moment.

Happy birthday Beechnut ???. I hope you have a lovely day.

I love the Yorkshire Wildlife Park greyduster although I haven't been for some time. We used to take the Reception children there for a visit in the summer, which they loved. My DH and I keep intending to go so perhaps will soon. I believe they are getting a baby polar bear soon (perhaps he's already arrived, I'm not sure).

Sorry to read you had an unpleasant PM marydoll. Quite unnecessary and actually cowardly on their part. Glad you are putting it behind you.

Well, I'd better get on. I've some ironing waiting along with a few other household chores.

Take care everyone. ?