Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Friesday

(7 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 28-Aug-20 14:27:59

Not a lot happening just now! Winter almost done with thankfully, although last evening it had a final flourish when a mini tornado ripped through our part of Melbourne leaving 3 people dead because of trees falling on them or in one case, falling on his car, crushing him.
All this wasn’t very far away, yet I wasn’t aware there was a storm; Watching the penguins coming home again! Only disturbance here was a plastic garden chair tossed around. Warnings issued today to boil our tap water because of damage causing contamination. Good job I’ve still got some of that Shiraz left, although I don’t fancy dunking a tea-bag in it. I hate cold tea! shock

Megs I”m surprised your local MP wasn’t on the ball whilst seeking your votes! we have compulsory voting and a fine if your name isn’t crossed off at the polling booth, so the pollies know that there’s a potential voter to be wooed. Our No2 Son arranged for our Diamond cards, I think. There’s an official form for this sort of thing and once that’s submitted,the whole hierarchy fall into line. Can’t wait for my “Century Card” from the King! grin
Jane we have another Mary Berry prog. starting up on TV next week, so I’ll watch for her drizzling; not sure if she’s flying solo.
Enjoy your breakfasts; do they serve “Full English” in Scotland, or is it Haggis and cold milk only? hmm
Couldn’t help smiling at your “this too shall pass” when we were warned this morning to boil our water, although the smile could be quickly removed by forgetting to boil!

Expect you are arming yourself with back copies of “The Oldie” in case the weather keeps you locked down in the Hotel. You never know! Still waiting on my next copy; the only things getting through are bills.

Our hotels and “security guards” have come in for a lot of stick at our Royal Commission looking into how the quarantine programme for returning travellers became a fiasco! Lack of training in that sort of thing, apparently. Very slack supervision!

Catching up with “The Salisbury Poisonings”, but it's becoming difficult to hang on to the plot as it often jumps from one part of the action to another with no apparent logical connection. Parts 3 and 4 yet to go, so it might become clearer.

Our train journey this evening was all about the Yukon and the gold rush. Amazing how the line was built in such an inhospitable wilderness.

Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo

Megs36 Fri 28-Aug-20 16:59:18

Glad your winter is coming to an end? Ours still to look forward to! The morning's are darker and also evening is earlier!!If you see what I mean, after mostly good weather from the beginning of lockdown here, in fact too hot a couple of weeks ago, it’s a depressing thought. So far as we are concerned we are still not having anyone in the house or visiting, hope this improves soon.
Good that your son sorted the official cards for your anniversary, short of doing it myself it wasn’t going to happen . Not complaining though, a lot of organising went into the picnic and grandson made a lovely video of friends and family telling us how wonderful we are.
Cheers. Rufus.
????????

Jane10 Fri 28-Aug-20 18:27:38

Well we're here in sunny(ish) StAndrews. Hotel a bit odd due to all the Covid precautions. Here's the view

Grandmabatty Fri 28-Aug-20 18:30:16

Rufus2 we have a 'full Scottish' which contains haggis slice, potato scone as well as the rest. In fact we are going for a family breakfast on Sunday morning. I'm looking forward to it.

Grandmabatty Fri 28-Aug-20 18:31:13

Jane10 that's a lovely view. It looks like The old course hotel?

PamelaJ1 Fri 28-Aug-20 18:54:08

Rufus, what are the chances of Australia changing the quarantine rules?
Apparently it would cost $4000 for two of us to quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks. Over here we could go to Jersey, have a test and be ‘released’ after 3days if the test came back negative.
It would be lovely if you had the same system.

I was on my way to meet my DD from the train earlier this year, she takes the train into Sydney. I had the dog with me so I probably looked like I belonged there. A local candidate was canvassing and got very cross with me when I said I wouldn’t be voting. He told me I would be fined ?. They have to catch me first?.

Jane10 Fri 28-Aug-20 20:49:02

grandmabatty- spot on!