Gransnet forums

Chat

I don't want a robot friend

(68 Posts)
annep1 Tue 08-Sep-20 02:30:25

Just wondering if anyone has views on this. My daughter sent me the link. She is shocked at the idea. I find it depressing.
www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/07/robots-used-uk-care-homes-help-reduce-loneliness

Davida1968 Thu 17-Sep-20 20:05:50

Thanks to TerryM mentioning "robot cats" (page one) I had one sent to my elderly mum, who has dementia, is in her late 90s, and lives in a care home. Mum is delighted with it and takes it everywhere with her! We don't know whether she knows it's not real, but truly this doesn't matter - it's such a comfort to her. (And to me!)

Summerfly Thu 10-Sep-20 14:23:05

I think it would be great to start with, but once the novelty wears off it would become more than obvious that a robot has no feelings. Nothing can replace the warmth of a human being to chat to or take comfort from.

ExD Wed 09-Sep-20 12:14:56

Its a bit like a (very expensive) toy. But I'd feel better if the money was going towards employing a real person to do these tasks.

Kim19 Wed 09-Sep-20 09:22:55

I wouldn't be against it. Alexa with a body.

Mbuya Wed 09-Sep-20 07:24:40

I agree that the ideal situation is human contact. However, the increase in the ageing population in Japan, for example, has spearheaded the development of sophisticated robots-even robotic dogs as companions. Although costly, robots are an option we have to seriously consider for the future. We are increasingly being occupied by laptops, phones etc. So robots can be seen as a natural progression.

Aepgirl Wed 09-Sep-20 07:18:32

Loneliness is probably one of the worse emotions anybody at any age, can experience - most of us know what loneliness was like during lockdown. It must be multiplied many times if you know it is most likely to be permanent. Surely a robot is not the answer, and it is so sad that it could even be considered. There should be a better way.

annep1 Tue 08-Sep-20 19:34:31

I must watch the film some of you have recommended.
Good to read all the different views.
I initially felt just like Monica, and I still think that if they were used to replace human contact and interaction, then it would indeed be a sad reflection on how uncaring we had become.
I don't like the idea of technology taking over where human contact is possible and preferable. Older people want the warmth of human company as Monica described.
However, I can see that as an addition it could be useful. Thinking about it, I'm sure my own mum could have benefitted from a robot pet. It would have eased our minds when we had to leave her too. I
And it would be impossible for care homes to give residents attention all day, so it could supplement this and improve the wellbeing of residents with dementia.
My one fear would be someone plonking a robot in front of me, and my grandchildren laughing at granny talking to a machine. They once told me emphatically.. No one wants to be seen in Nandos with their granny! I would hate that.
But we are going to see an increase in people with dementia and many lonely older folk in the future and perhaps we have to think of new solutions. And if robots can be programmed to remind about pills etc then even better.

GrumpyGran8 Tue 08-Sep-20 18:47:14

25Avalon

Have you read “Origin” by Dan Brown? The super computer in that makes you feel it’s human - the future of AI.

Having something to talk to seems to be better than nothing but so sad if that’s all there is.

You've just reminded me of "Robot & Frank", a film about an elderly retired jewel thief who is given a robot carer to look after him; missing his old trade, the man tricks the robot into helping him commit burglaries. It's both funny and sad,so look out for it.

Sadgrandma Tue 08-Sep-20 16:20:05

Did anyone see the TV series 'Humans' where everyone had an android home helper and an elderly man had an android carer? The androids developed consciousness and revolted. Is this the future?

BlueBelle Tue 08-Sep-20 16:18:15

I feel your answer is too black and white MOnica whilst I totally agree with your sentiments what about people who can’t relate to other humans either through dementia, mental health issues, or just having no one nearby what if they would get something g out of having a robot pet or a robot companion certainly better than nothing isn’t it especially if they were programmed to remind you of taking tablets etc
Not everyone has family nearby or friends my have all died off neighbours may not be good ones is it best to be isolated or have something What if family visit and do what they can but there are still long periods alone
It’s not one or the other surely it’s an addition

I think I d quite like a pet that didn’t poo or need walks if I was all alone In the world

Westcoaster Tue 08-Sep-20 15:23:55

We saw this on the news last night and decided that whoever is left after the first pops the clogs should get a wee robot for company!

I do go out and about a bit (or used to pre-covid) but DH doesn't, so it would be perfect for him I think, specially if it could do things around the house too ... or even just remind him to change the bed etc!!! grin

suziewoozie Tue 08-Sep-20 15:20:37

I agree with those who see the robot as an addition not an instead of. It’s simply not true however that care home visits are impossible - the government needs to revisit its guidance and some care homes need to give their collective heads a wobble. The other aspect of care home visits is what it means to the visitor - even when the resident may not be aware or fully aware.

Lancslass1 Tue 08-Sep-20 14:59:41

Starbird,as I understood it the phone calls were to be made to people living alone and who would like to have a chat with someone.

Antonia Tue 08-Sep-20 14:41:14

Absolutely agree with Monica. It's complex though. As one ages, old friends die and it's hard to make new ones with whom you have something in common. Also, reaching out to someone for friendship can come across as being needy, intrusive or over familiar, which isn't the image many people want.
I am reminded of a recent thread about how cliquey Women's Institute members can be. This type of attitude makes it hard for people to join in events like these.

BlueBelle Tue 08-Sep-20 14:35:47

When mum was in a care home I used to visit every day for an hour before going home from work That left 23 hours She had dementia and often didn’t know me or only vaguely she had a doll that she treated just like a baby picking it up pushing its hair out of its eyes, rocking it, it wasn’t even a realistic looking doll but it was her baby once she got very angry and threw it across the room (I don’t think she ever did that with me ?)
She would have adored a cat or small dog or baby to react to her so although I agree it should never take the place of human touch I can see as an ADDITION it could be very helpful
Don’t wipe the idea out

PenJK50 Tue 08-Sep-20 14:31:51

I worked on a Saturday when I was 17 in a care home where I helped the nurses with their duties -washing them, serving their lunches etc. But what I remember most vividly was the gratitude for the fact that I was there and willing to read them letters from their families or maybe a chapter of a book.

I saw the item on BBC News last night with the interaction between the elderly gentleman and the robot. I have no problem with this as it seemed he was enjoying it but clearly it is no substitute for the human touch. However we are in various stages of lockdown and the saddest part of this moment in time is the fact that families cannot visit their loved ones so another solution has to be found.

Any idea is worth investigating but I do hope we can soon return to normal although I’m not very hopeful.

starbird Tue 08-Sep-20 14:31:37

Lancslass1 Could it be that the care home needs to have someone take the call and put it through - maybe even be around to retrieve phone afterwards? Perhaps they even monitor it?

starbird Tue 08-Sep-20 14:27:42

I am almost tempted by the robotic retriever Jenny which is more expensive. It is funny to see the reporters succumbing to stroking them!

I think as they got more realistic I will end up getting one - even though I am not yet senile (as far as I know) An improvement would be for them to have an internal false stomach that can be emptied so that you can give it treats!

As for robotic humans, they could be fed with some of the patients history (with help of families) and programmed to recognise individuals, so that they could respond to each patient and remind them of old times. It (and the pets) could have a small hidden camera and voice recorder that would reveal abuse, or alert staff in an emergency - although that could have privacy issues.

Yes I would rather live in a society where old people become part of the family until they die but for now, in the west at least, this is not happening and we might as well make the second best option as good as it can be.

Lancslass1 Tue 08-Sep-20 13:46:21

Lonely elderly people need human contact.
My son volunteered to telephone lonely people and 'phoned the Charity which Esther Ransom is involved with.
He was told he would have to commit to telephoning people at specific times on specific days and when he said he could not guarantee that, the woman said that he was not the sort of person they were looking for.

I was disgusted.
Surely a surprise telephone call is better than none.?

jeanrobinson Tue 08-Sep-20 13:27:21

Most large companies now have "robotism" off to a fine art.
Has anyone managed to speak to a human being at Amazon or their bank?

icanhandthemback Tue 08-Sep-20 12:57:41

Unless we have been alone and confused with dementia, I'm not sure we can understand how useful this technology might be. It is not meant to replace human beings but supplement them. My Grandad had dementia and night times terrified him. He would keep waking me in the night shouting for help just to reassure himself that he hadn't died. Caring for all his needs during the day when I was tired out meant he wasn't always getting the quality company he needed. I felt a complete failure sometimes. Having AI assisting overnight would have helped enormously to assist in caring for him. So many dementia patients end up in homes because family just can't cope with their complex needs when, with something like this, it might be more possible to cope. I was determined my Grandad wouldn't end up in a home but a couple of weeks before he died, I came to bed howling my eyes out after repeated wake up calls and my husband was urging me to reconsider. I resisted but know that if things had gone on much longer, I would have had to consider that option rather than put my husband and children through any more.

rockgran Tue 08-Sep-20 12:15:51

I can recommend the film Robot and Frank about an old man who grudgingly accepts a robot as a friend. It made me want one!

DillytheGardener Tue 08-Sep-20 12:13:44

Piinkyone (my autocorrect struggled me to let me type your name!) you have hit the nail on the head, it seems like it is there to be complimentary to staff rather than replace them. My mother died after being on the floor for two days after a stroke, if she had a robot at home that could detect these things it might have been a different outcome. ( I phoned daily but she often didn’t answer because she was a keen gardener, which is how it was missed)

FarNorth Tue 08-Sep-20 12:03:51

Elderly people in care homes have a lot of time when nothing happens, even if they do get visitors and activity organisers.

Some older people could enjoy interacting with a robot especially if it learns about them and they can have realistic seeming conversations.

Chatting with a robot - that definitely should look like a robot, not pretend to be human - could be a good option.

Piinkyone Tue 08-Sep-20 11:59:11

Hi Annp1, may I suggest a different perspective.... I used a Robot Dog in a community project to engage mature women in information technology courses in 2005. I kept one at home and me and my family had a lot of fun with it. It followed instructions, navigated around our house, barked, wagged it’s tail, danced and took itself back to a charger when low on energy. It was absolutely charming the family was really sad when it had to go back.

I wouldn’t see a Robot as a replacement for friends and family, I’d see it more as an opportunity to be stimulated by and interacting with another “entity”.

There is a more serious angle to this as well, as robots can be programmed to prompt (maybe forgetful) elderly people that it’s time for their medication, or hydration, or food. They can also monitor whether or not they are upright ....or god forbid, have had a fall.

I think the technology has potential to save lives as scientists are looking at monitoring blood sugar or blood pressure as well.

So Anne, don’t be afraid of it. It would never be compulsory...but please do give it consideration - it could be fun!