Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Chewsday

(4 Posts)
Megs36 Tue 08-Sep-20 18:55:41

Hello Rufus, wondered if Spice is anywhere near you ?, ridiculous I know in such a vast place. Don’t know if she’d want ‘your ‘ space, she’s been made very welcome in Good Morning. I’m impressed how important you are with all your greetings?, good to look back on.
Yes I live in Herts (since 1968) in a very well known Roman Town which is lovely. I believe it is one of the most expensive places to live, don’t know how we fit in !
We had a minor earthquake today, not sure what time , just seen the news report!!!
Cheers??????

AGAA4 Tue 08-Sep-20 17:09:29

Good evening Rufus2. My great great grandfather was imprisoned in Sydney for vagrancy at the age of fourteen. He was offered a longer prison sentence or he could work on a ship that was leaving for Britain as a cabin boy. He chose the latter and eventually became a ship's captain.
I am so glad we don't treat children so harshly today.
Sleep tight.

Jaxjacky Tue 08-Sep-20 16:55:43

Good evening Rufus2 I enjoy your newsletters, thank you. Here on a dull day in S Britain our Covid numbers are beginning to rise, every glimmer of hope gets dashed. However, schools are back, the sound of the playground is cheering and we’ve got lots of loo roll! Have a good rest of your day.

Rufus2 Tue 08-Sep-20 15:07:36

G’Day Everyone and welcome Spice101. All the way from Melbourne, Eh!?; . where the weather, today as ever, was very different from yesterday. Rained here for the best part.
You obviously don’t know, but I’ve been compiling a daily message from Melb., started as mental exercise for myself , but also as a counter to the Good Morning thread.
However, your message today set me thinking that you could take over and I’ll hand over the baton if you’re interested!? Unpaid of course, but you meet some very friendly Grannies and after all there’s not a lot we can do under our severe lockdown regulations!
One rule I try to observe is not blame the Govt. or medicos; it’s the “supa-idiots” who are our problem, as you know! sad

Megs Came across the following re: official greeting party at our 62nd. Wedding Anniversary” in descending order of clout! (I think)!
Governor General (National)
Prime Minister
Governor General (VIC)
VIC Premier
Local MP (Federal Govt)
” (VIC State Govt)
Quite impressive!
I”m not sure, but I think one of our lads initiated it; I must ask him again..
Did I see you mention Hertfordshire recently? Don’t read much about it. Somehow “Sarf end” is stuck in my brain.
Everything is now going Zoom crazy; our “Senior Cits”.groups are in full flight with the continued closure of our school. The local Council are similarly involved via their “Social Inclusion” progs. and the larger retirement/nursing home complexes are into it to prevent the residents from going stir-crazy, I suppose, not being allowed visitors.
Glad I didn’t take up my GPs suggestion about moving into one!

We had a very moving prog. on TV last evening about things that made Britain great; horrendous prisons, severe punishment, tiny cells, applied to young chidren for petty stealing and of course deportation to the Colonies. Hardly what you’d call the “Good Old Days!”
Michael P. was still in “the Far East” in Malaysia and a bit earlier he was travelling across the Midlands to finish up at Aberystwyth in a later prog.

The changes that Covid has wrought. At breakfast we have live TV broadcasts from European countries France, Germany, Greece etc. in native tongues all aimed at our ethnic citizens. The Filipino broadcast is interesting in that they use a lot of English terminology especially when covering Corona. Practically most of their video shows show people wearing masks and lining up to be swabbed. Confirms more than the spoken word, how worldwide the problem is. We are not alone!
Almost the Witching Hour again.
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRo