Gransnet forums

Chat

S and P or not

(135 Posts)
Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 07:12:45

when I married my ex he automatically put salt on his food as soon as the plate was in front of him. I asked him why he didn’t taste it first. So he got out of the habit! My mum always said it was rude to the cook as it implied they had not seasoned the food during cooking. My current bloke did the same and also stopped (I’m very bossy). I actually never put salt and pepper on the table. Does anyone still shake salt over their food as a matter of course?

muse Sat 06-Feb-21 20:52:27

S+P always on the table. I don't season anything I cook but do put sea salt on eggs and tomatoes. Pepper on quite a few things. Enhances the flavour for me.
Husband has salt and pepper on everything. He's no BP problems but gets cramp attacks. Not through dehydration/exercise. As well as salt on food he will drink a salt solution when in absolute agony with cramps in both his legs as well as a magnesium spray/rub, which helps slightly.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Feb-21 20:25:10

crazyH

Spangler, what’s the 3rd one for ?

Don't tempt me! smile
To be honest I wondered that H, but on closer inspection I think that those are the available colours.
(Spangler left the building a while ago.)

crazyH Sat 06-Feb-21 20:18:50

Spangler, what’s the 3rd one for ?

sodapop Sat 06-Feb-21 20:15:21

The idea of insulting the cook is about trying the food first to see how it tastes before adding seasoning. If you try it first then want to add salt or pepper that's fine. That's the rule in our house anyway.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Feb-21 19:59:19

Spangler

When you have a very expensive set of Aga cruets, you show them off!

Ha ha! This is sooo Spangler. grin

TerriBull Sat 06-Feb-21 18:29:20

If I were to think about it, I really like certain salty foods like anchovies for example, not everyone's cup of tea.

TerriBull Sat 06-Feb-21 18:25:47

I don't put salt on the table, but I love a bit of sea salt, I sometimes roast new potatoes tossed in oil, sea salt and Rosemary, but I'm aware that salt isn't really good for us, so don't do it that often.

M0nica Sat 06-Feb-21 18:20:55

I have never put salt and pepper on the table. If anyone wants it, they have to ask for it. I have also rarely ever used it in cooking.

BlueSky Sat 06-Feb-21 18:18:31

Hetty after avoiding salt all my adult life because of high BP, I found out my salt level was low. When I mentioned to the GP that I don’t use salt she asked why and said it only needs to be avoided/restricted if advised by the consultant!

Callistemon Sat 06-Feb-21 18:18:26

Yes, but I rarely use salt in cooking unless I'm making a sauce or an egg dish.

We watched Rick Stein the other day - he always uses a lot of salt when he's cooking. Then adds a bit more.

We do need some salt in our diet especially in hot weather.

cornishpatsy Sat 06-Feb-21 18:18:15

I am not much of a salt user but always use pepper, black or white depending on what it is.

Witzend Sat 06-Feb-21 18:11:55

I do always put S&P on the table.
I often add a lot of black pepper to whatever I’m eating, even though I’ve nearly always cooked it. And often a little salt.
Dh never adds either. He never uses e.g. mustard, either.

People’s taste buds do vary*, so I really don’t go along with it being an insult to the cook.
*milk in tea honestly tastes utterly vile to me, which I know most people consider very peculiar, so I’d never presume to tell anyone else what tastes they ought to like.

NfkDumpling Sat 06-Feb-21 18:10:27

Many moons ago a top chef told me you can judge a restaurant by the number of condiments available. Really top restaurants don't put anything on the table at all. Once - in an eatery in the USA I counted 43 different sachets of sauces, etc arranged prettily down the middle of the "restaurant". The food was dire. I can understand why differing tastes may want to add a bit of extra salt or pepper maybe, but 43 choices seemed excessive!

Smileless2012 Sat 06-Feb-21 18:04:35

Mr. S. is a terror, always puts a load of salt on before he's even tasted it. For more than 40 years I've been commenting on it but to no avail, maybe it's time I gave uphmm.

Mapleleaf Sat 06-Feb-21 18:01:15

I don't often season my food with salt (nor add very much in the actual cooking, either), but I do like to put some on chips when I have any - which isn't very often.
I think there's quite a lot of salt in some ingredients anyway, without adding more, e.g., canned tomatoes, ready made sauces, cured meats.
I do like to add ground pepper though to some of my meals.

Hetty58 Sat 06-Feb-21 16:25:00

BlueBelle, beware pottasium chloride. Extra potassium can be dangerous for people who have kidney disease or take certain drugs for heart disease, high blood pressure, or liver disease. They should talk with a doctor before using a salt substitute.

I don't use much salt, but I'm aware that a very low salt diet is just as dangerous as a high salt one. I do love black pepper, though!

Blossoming Sat 06-Feb-21 16:04:20

I’m on a low sodium diet so no, but I do use pepper and other spices. I’m an avid reader of labels, but I don’t avoid salt completely as that would be unhealthy.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Feb-21 15:57:00

I salt everything I do use ‘lo salt’ though I love my spices hot peppers and chillis etc and seem to need them stronger as I ve got older

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 15:42:09

Probably because people complain if they serve it on toast, I'd imagine.

seadragon Sat 06-Feb-21 15:39:51

My dad used to cover all his food with a carpet of salt and pepper without tasting it first. My mum was a wonderful cook and I felt he was insulting her every time... I only use pepper and then only on a poached egg which I have to have served on toast. Why do most B & B's serve eggs straight onto the plate, even on 4 in a Bed...?

Kamiso Tue 15-Sep-20 23:25:50

I’m guilty! Add salt to my food without tasting it. This is the first I’ve heard that I am likely to offend the cook. Currently using Himalayan salt as it was in Poundland so I bought half a dozen. I also shake the black pepper grinder over the food without grinding because I only want a tiny bit.

We’ve eaten out twice recently where lots of black pepper is put on before the food is served. I had to send one meal back as it was inedible. I think this is done to cut out the salt but I wish they didn’t decide for me.

As others have already said, we all have different taste buds so best left to the individuals decision without passing judgment.

moggie57 Sun 13-Sep-20 15:31:33

i use sea salt and i rinse the veg in sea salt water .but i would never sprinkle it on my food ,theres enough salt in the food we eat anyway. even fish and chips i dont use salt...takes the yummy taste away...

watermeadow Sat 12-Sep-20 20:35:54

My mother salted everything she cooked - potatoes, vegetables, cakes and pastry. There was always salt and pepper on the table too.
I rarely use salt as it’s bad for us but I crave salt and sugar because I’ve lost most of my sense of smell and taste. I wonder whether past generations liked their food so salty because they all smoked?

MissAdventure Fri 11-Sep-20 09:55:23

I was going to say that I can't be doing with all these 'rules' that serve no purpose, but I must admit to feeling slightly miffed with ketchup being slathered over a roast.

Grannynannywanny Fri 11-Sep-20 09:51:43

When I have visitors for a meal I would always have s&p on the table and it wouldn’t offend me in the slightest if it was used. I wouldn’t assume because I seasoned food when cooking that it was to everyone’s taste. Surely if I’ve seasoned it I’ve done it to my taste and we can’t all be the same.