Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you recommend a good quality Soup maker?

(23 Posts)
Agnieszka Fri 11-Sep-20 04:52:44

Hello everyone.
My Grandson is off to Uni next month, and I would like to give him a Soup Maker as a gift.
The trouble for me, is that the more I read about them online.....the more confused I become!!!!!
Would it be possible, for someone to offer me a personal recommendation, as to a good quality easy to operate appliance?

I will be so grateful for your feedback.
Kind regards to you all.
Thank you.
Agnieszka.

mumofmadboys Fri 11-Sep-20 06:38:54

I have got a Morphy Richard one and I have found it excellent. You can get a compact version of it if your GS will be largely cooking for himself. I have bought 3 of our sons soup makers and they all find them very useful. My only advice is always to put a cup of water in it first- it cuts down the risk of food sticking to the bottom.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 06:58:52

I had a soupmaker and found it very useful. I ended up giving it to my daughter, when she moved into her flat 4 years ago and she is still using it. I cannot for the life of me remember the make, I got it from QVC.

One word of warning, don't overload it. I used to take it into school to teach cooking to pupils. One colleague borrowed it and hadn't a clue about quantities. It was a disaster.

I also made jam in school with it. My colleagues couldn't understand why the school smelled like a jam factory. The aroma of cooking brambles permeated the whole school. ?

Jalyn Fri 11-Sep-20 07:02:31

I have had a Morphy Richards automaker for a few years and it's simple to use, reliable and produces excellent soup in approx 20 minutes.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:20:32

I am no cook but It’s so quick and easy to make soup in a saucepan I wonder whether it’s worth the expense buying a special pot to make it. A kind thought but are you sure he will use it!? Can store it? They’re quite big.

LullyDully Fri 11-Sep-20 08:26:11

You could borrow my husband.

So easy to make soup in a saucepan, I am not sure why a soup maker is necessary. But I have never used one, so will keep quiet.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 08:29:10

There is no mess with a soup maker! Easy to clean and you can go away and leave it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:39:26

Yes. I bought one recently. So easy! 20 minutes or so and a smooth soup.

Today I’m making leek and potato for lunch.

I’ll look at the make.

I think it was Which recommended.

Maggiemaybe Fri 11-Sep-20 08:51:01

I bet we all thought making soup in a pan was easy......until we got the soup maker. smile

I’ve a Morphy Richards as well. It’s had an awful lot of use over the last five years as we’ve an allotment. I only paid £24 for it, but I have noticed that the price has gone up a lot since lockdown started.

I’m not sure my son would have used one though when he was a student. I think he lived on chip naans.

Esspee Fri 11-Sep-20 09:00:37

I cannot imagine many students appreciating a soup maker to be honest. Can't remember soup featuring in the student culinary repetoir in my day. It would just be an inconvenience taking up room in what is normally a limited space.
I can imagine young people telling grandma they use it all the time while it lurks in the parental attic.

Elegran Fri 11-Sep-20 09:03:32

I've had two Morphy Richards. I had to buy another when the first one stopped blending. It now only works on the chunky setting, but is still useful if I have a houseful to feed - six servings of chunky soup in that and six of smooth soup in the newer one.

I wouldn't be without one. You put all the ingredients in, switch on and select smooth or chunky and then ignore it until it tells you loudly and insistently that it is ready, then you pour it out and eat it. No stirring, no checking it isn't sticking or burning, no getting out a blender, no need for even a soup ladle as it has a pouring lip.

Pantglas2 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:07:59

I’d be more inclined to give a slow cooker and stick blender as being more versatile and achieving same result - although whether any of these things would be used is debatable!

Franbern Fri 11-Sep-20 09:08:48

There was a long discussion on soup Makers on GN in the food section a few months ago. It is all still there, on Page 4 of Food. Might be a good idea to look at that for recommendations.
I had always make soup in a saucepan using a hand held stick liquidiser. But decided to give these a go and purchased a small Morphy Richards Compact one (ideal for one person.
I am now a convert to this, no pot to watch and stir, just put in all ingredients and turn on. Choice of smooth or not. Takes less than half an hour. It is about the same size as a kettle

silverlining48 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:20:32

I have never used one but a neighbour had one. She used it a lot initially but it’s been in the back of the cupboard for some years now and is never used.
I make a batch of soup in a saucepan, tales less than half hour. Freeze individual portions for future use . Always tastes even better pm reheating.

cornergran Fri 11-Sep-20 09:21:05

Another Morphy Richards fan here. It converted two grandchildren to soup as they love a machine, a real bonus is non-cooking Mr C uses it grin

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:31:26

Murphy-Richards sauté and soup.

Just using it as I write?

cupaffull Fri 11-Sep-20 11:36:35

Honestly you've never lived until you have a soup maker grin....throw it all in and leave til ready to serve. No mixing, stirring, watching or burnt saucepans. I'm easily distracted these days...Then rinse out and done.
I've a really small kitchen and space is precious but its helped in these straightened times to make good use of the veg boxes..

Marketkat Fri 11-Sep-20 11:54:46

I make soup every week, no need for a soup maker
Throw everything in a saucepan, leave to simmer for required time, blend if wished, simple. I have a blender that I inherited from MiL in 1980, works a treat.

Elegran Fri 11-Sep-20 12:18:39

A purist would say that there is no need for any kitchen devices except a sharp knife and a saucepan.

Marketkat Fri 11-Sep-20 12:28:18

Elegran: indeed. Said blender is my one kitchen gadget, my daughter has every gadget, doesn’t seem to me to make any difference to the outcome. Neither do I think they’re time saving by the time you got it out, set it up, then wash it up, all takes time.

blue25 Fri 11-Sep-20 16:44:49

Aldi are selling one at the moment for about £30. Gets good reviews for the price.

Agnieszka Mon 14-Sep-20 01:17:29

Hello everyone.
Just to say thank you so much, to the women who responded to my post.
I am so grateful for all the info. which helped me to narrow my search.
I have gone ahead and ordered a Tefal Easy Soup product, and can only hope that my darling Grandson remembers to keep an eye on his nutrition, whilst also enjoying Student life.
A special thank you to Franbern, who advised me to check that heading under Food category.
That was where I found 'The One'.
Kind regards to you all.
Agnieszka x

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 14-Sep-20 01:29:47

Never heard of these and would be tempted but it’s an electrical appliances that needs a lot of power as it’s heating for quite some time.

We’re off grid and producing our own electricity means no hungry power appliances.