Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I Embarrassing?

(86 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 11-Sep-20 13:40:05

Walking to the shops this morning, found myself a few yards behind half a dozen schoolgirls, Year 7. I know this because one of the girls lives down our road, I know her mum, a nice lady. Also know the girl, not closely, but she also knows who I am.
She glanced behind her a few times, obviously saw me and recognised me, but quickly looked away.

Now I’m not stupid. I can well imagine it’s not remotely ‘cool’ to say hello to this ‘old’ neighbour when you’re with your mates, but I find it sad.

I know times have changed, but I would always have spoken to people I knew when I was that age. I think my own children would have, not sure about the grandchildren!

Another boy, 13, the son of a friend, pointedly had his eyes cast down to the ground when he saw me one day, on his own, no mates with him.

I don’t expect a full blown conversation, just a simple “Hi” would do.

I think their parents would be surprised at this behaviour, as of course if with Mum and Dad, they act slightly differently.

Is it just me?

EllanVannin Sat 12-Sep-20 10:27:08

Worse when you're a great grannie because that's really really ancient and you shouldn't even be out. grin

EllanVannin Sat 12-Sep-20 10:30:39

I remember my GS in Oz when he was little asking me if I can cook shock I was only in my 50's but he must have thought I was Methuselah.

annodomini Sat 12-Sep-20 11:22:56

Once, when my DSs were young teenagers, I noticed that one of them had left his lunch box on the table, so I ran round to the bus stop to hand it over. On the way I stopped to sniff a lovely rose in a neighbour's garden. And Oh the mockery from those kids in the bus queue! Not just my own, but from all the teenagers in the neighbourhood. Of course, I acted completely unembarrassed and pretended to be unaware of their reaction. Probably my kids were more embarrassed than I was. grin

dontmindstayinghome Sat 12-Sep-20 11:39:46

I'm with you Bluesky, I used to work at a police station. The male officers were a really friendly close knit bunch (occasionally too friendly)!

But, when they were with their wives, they would completely cut you dead. We became completely invisible.

I once overheard one of their wives asking her husband who I was, He glanced over his shoulder and replied "oh I think she works upstairs in one of the offices"

I worked alongside him at the enquiry desk!

Calendargirl Sat 12-Sep-20 13:13:00

Your replies made me smile! Yes, I guess I am embarrassing, though don’t mean to be!

?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 12-Sep-20 13:19:42

It's daft, isn't it, annodomini that he'd rather go hungry than acknowledge his mother! That's being a teenager though. Life is so much better when you've got out the other side I feel.

Now I can talk to strangers at bus stops, something I'd never have done when I was young and the world is a friendlier place.

tiredoldwoman Sat 12-Sep-20 15:20:03

My car and I were an embarrassment to my granddaughter when she was 15 . I had to keep a blanket in the back so she could hide under it when I picked her up from school then she started getting the bus home ...... she doesn't mind us now that she's 17 working and having to walk home , she likes the car !! smile

ginny Sat 12-Sep-20 16:50:30

Well my family must be the odd ones out. Neither I nor my children at any age would have been so rude as to refuse to walk next to my parents / me. My DGS (18) always acknowledges me if we should meet in the street even if with friends.
A quick hello to neighbours is only good manners .

Humbertbear Sun 13-Sep-20 09:38:47

It’s normal. One of our family friends taught at our sons school and he told us he had stopped staying hello to him as our son was clearly very embarrassed

Naninka Sun 13-Sep-20 09:39:20

I'm a teacher and even I get a bit tongue-tied when I see students in the wider world. I let them lead. Some say Hi but most do the head down shuffle. It's ok. It can be awkward.
I'm sure those Year 7s you saw are super young people. Don't give up on them!

razzmatazz Sun 13-Sep-20 09:44:42

Teenager. That is what they do.

NotSpaghetti Sun 13-Sep-20 09:46:01

Yes. You are very embarrassing.
If she was alone maybe not.

dianne2265 Sun 13-Sep-20 09:46:31

Only to teenagers

Caragran Sun 13-Sep-20 09:50:56

Don't worry
They have probably not been taught manners by their parents. Just pla9 ignorant.

Juicylucy Sun 13-Sep-20 09:55:25

I don’t think it should be expected as normal no matter what age. These teenagers have different age groups in there own families and I’m sure they don’t ignore them. Luckily my gds are always polite to there elders and do acknowledge them even when they are with there friends.

Nannan2 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:01:27

Yeah, if i had to go into his school for anything (hand in a form, sort out any arrangements for appts,etc if bell went& my son appeared he would pass by as though he didn't know me at that age! Same if i was on bus (downstairs) from town, he'd sail straight past with his mates& go sit upstairs!

Elrel Sun 13-Sep-20 10:06:47

Oopsminty- especially my mother! In my 40s my old school had a centenary celebration. I arranged to go with a friend. My mother was very interested but it was an Old Girls event.
I was shocked to see a lively, chatty, older lady being shown around by a 6th former.
‘I left the high school in 1925’ she was explaining.
Oh, mother! She went to a completely different high school in another county far away. My friend, who knew her of old, and I turned, and went the other way. She already given us a triumphant grin!
I must admit now to admiring her cheek and she'd had a lovely afternoon!

Nannan2 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:13:15

Your wrong caragran, & juicylucy, my children HAVE been brought up with manners, as are my GC, but some kids these days are shy, and wouldnt speak to people not family, without their parents, some struggle with ASD issues, so wont speak to anyone, but look perfectly like a 'usual teenager' to rest of the world! Please dont make assumptions! I remember at that age we'd be out with friends and sometimes smile if i passed a neighbour, but not speak to them! Things arent like the war& post war years now, young 'uns just don't communicate with friends of their parents as they used to in those days

Jan51 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:16:01

geekesse
I've had similar encounters. In the 80s and 90s I worked in local playgroups. The last job I had before I retired was in the local Jobcentre taking new benefit claims and I often had young people (20 somethings) sit in front of me and say they remembered me teaching them at playgroup. Did make me feel old sometimes but I obviously made some sort of impression on them.

Nannan2 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:31:54

Yes,once they get out of teenage years, most 'kids' transform to 'normal' speaking mode, but some still struggle with this if they have underlying issues, so please dont assume theyre just rude, its best to just give them an encouraging (silent) smile & walk on, they may one day realise the worlds not such a 'scary' place after all, but to some of them, it is.?

crazygranny Sun 13-Sep-20 10:38:43

Don't worry. It's just an adolescent thing. It's not done to be seen fraternising with older people - no matter how much they like you.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:46:00

I don't think this has anything to do with the fact that times change.

I remember behaving exactly like this young girl, at her age.

I was too embarrassed to greet my parents' friends and acquaintances in the street, and embarrassed not to do so, as I knew I was being impolite, but I couldn't conquer my shyness and speak to them.

Say hello to her next time, if she is like me, she will find it easier to return a greeting than to have to make one.

polnan Sun 13-Sep-20 10:49:56

oh gosh, my 11 year old soon to be 12 year old gd waves madly at me if I go by, (not very often) even if with a crowd of other friends..

and my 14 year old gs, is also the same... older gs,, similarly.

FarNorth Sun 13-Sep-20 10:53:41

Teenagers in groups are not all equal.
A shy teenager who isn't one of the 'cool' ones in the group may be very wary of doing anything that might cause teasing from the others.

Alison333 Sun 13-Sep-20 11:00:24

I remember going out for a morning of shopping with my daughter when she was 13 and being ordered to walk behind her because I was 'too embarrassing' and one of her friends might see her with me!