Gransnet forums

Chat

Heavy Handed Teacher of Seven Year Olds.

(192 Posts)
Ashcombe Sat 12-Sep-20 18:27:42

This week my granddaughter, aged seven, had a page ripped out of her book by her Y3 teacher for a minor infringement of his rule about setting out. (She forgot to miss a line between the title and the writing.) Three other children were treated similarly.
As a retired teacher, mainly of Y6, I understand the need to establish rules about neat presentation but I would never resort to this aggressive style of implementing my standards. My DGD is conscientious and cooperative in school but her confidence has taken a knock by this strong reaction from her teacher in the first week of term.

eazybee Tue 22-Sep-20 18:18:48

The photographs say it all.

Grannynannywanny Tue 22-Sep-20 18:11:35

biba70
Think about your own childhood

This thread made me do exactly that, it cast me back 60 years ago when I was a timid 6 yr old. The teacher was looking over shoulders while we practised our handwriting. She snatched my workbook and tore it up and then walked out of class and left a class of 40 six year olds in stunned silence. I was terrified and had no idea what I’d done wrong. She didn’t utter a word, just tore it up and left the room. Then returned shortly afterwards as if nothing had happened and dished out a box of sweets to the class. When she came to my desk she left me a new notebook along with my treat.
I can remember it as clearly as if it was yesterday.

biba70 Tue 22-Sep-20 16:29:42

as so many things- gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.

I wouldn't have done it - but maybe we don't know the full story either. But the idea that a child will be traumatised for life for this, is silly. Think about your own childhood, and that of your parents even more so. Not an excuse- but just shows how extreme things have become.

GrannyAnnie2010 Tue 22-Sep-20 16:26:36

Ellianne, "aggresively" is often associated with anger but no, not always.
In the late 1990s, the employees of a FTSE company were asked to sign an adendum to their employment contract that they would comply with the new regulations regarding use of the internet at work. Those who refused to sign would have to face dismissal. I'm sure you'd agree that the company took a very aggressive stance yet they in fact were simply very concerned and worried about bugs and viruses and so on to their computer system: not angry with anyone at all. What the actual action of the teacher in this case was I don't know but I can't imagine that the child used the word "aggressively". Maybe I'm completely wrong!

Ellianne Sat 19-Sep-20 12:39:00

GrannyAnnie2010 is ""aggressive" not an adjective associated with anger then? In the original post.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sat 19-Sep-20 12:21:21

GagaJo

pigsmayfly.

I taught until 4 years ago. I have never known any teacher rip a page out of a child’s book. It’s not appropriate and needs reporting to HT.

Really? Most teachers do it at some point. It's a piece of paper. UNLESS you were being ironic, of course.

I can just see the attitude of ANY of my Head Teachers. "Mrs. Gaga ripped a page out of X's book." Cue puzzled, 'why are you wasting my time' look.

Angrily doing it in front of a small child is a different matter of course.

"angrily" was not in the original post. "ripped" is subjective.
I don't believe for a minute that the teacher angrily ripped a page out. (Yes, I do know that you didn't say that she did.)

GagaJo Thu 17-Sep-20 20:14:57

pigsmayfly.

I taught until 4 years ago. I have never known any teacher rip a page out of a child’s book. It’s not appropriate and needs reporting to HT.

Really? Most teachers do it at some point. It's a piece of paper. UNLESS you were being ironic, of course.

I can just see the attitude of ANY of my Head Teachers. "Mrs. Gaga ripped a page out of X's book." Cue puzzled, 'why are you wasting my time' look.

Angrily doing it in front of a small child is a different matter of course.

Iam64 Thu 17-Sep-20 19:43:17

3nanny6- maybe you could start your own thread about the concern you raise.
This one has enough concerns it seems to me.

Lucca Thu 17-Sep-20 14:52:56

Once again. Judgment made instantly without hearing any other accounts of the incident

pigsmayfly. Thu 17-Sep-20 14:46:20

3nanny6 Thu 17-Sep-20 13:14:57

I have been reading this thread and found it interesting and like some others on here I also think that maybe it is not a good idea to have a picture of the child on the forum mainly for safeguarding reasons.

As this thread is mainly about a seven year old child just would ask if any posters could give an opinion about a different seven year old child that last week seemed to have an angry meltdown at home (I think 7 is a bit too old to call it a tantrum). The child started off with some crying which got louder and louder and then proceeded to communicate in loud shouts in swearing using some unsavoury language that I would not have thought a seven year old would even know. I am not the grand-mother but am extended family and sat in garden while the mum sorted out the child.
Once it was calm I asked mum what consequences she would give for the child for using bad language and would she perhaps stop the child using her tablet for a day or two as a punishment. Mum just said it was a tantrum just forget about it.
I have seen the child being given toys and treats in the past even when the child displayed bad behaviour does anyone else think seven years old is the time to be teaching rights and wrongs to a child?

Marydoll Thu 17-Sep-20 13:06:21

I was responsible for IT in my school and delivering Internet safety training to both staff and pupils.
It is very concerning, how quickly a child can be identified from a photo.
Any photos for our website and newsletters never showed faces or named the child.
There are some very clever people out there, who have no difficulty manipulating photos into something else.
However, we have highlighted our concerns and the OP has the right to post whatever she likes. There is nothing else we can do.
I do think HQ are being a little naive about the possible consequences.

V3ra Thu 17-Sep-20 12:57:12

I did an Internet Safety Awareness course years ago.
The tutor used as one example a reader's photo that had been submitted to a magazine for a competition.
Within four clicks of the mouse he had identified her address and we were looking at a picture of the young lady's house.
It was creepy stuff and certainly eye-opening.

GagaJo Thu 17-Sep-20 12:25:51

...hasten TO add

GagaJo Thu 17-Sep-20 12:25:37

Not just Macs trisher. A reverse image search is possible in Google. I am not very IT savvy and have used it successfully twice. I hasten add that I haven't tried with the OP's photo.

Callistemon Thu 17-Sep-20 12:05:44

I thought that would be GNHQ's response trisher so I didn't report it; it's only the poster him or herself who can ask for it to be removed, I believe.

Presumably your DD is happy for your DGD's photo to be on an open forum like this, Ashcombe - although your DGD is not able to give her consent or understand the implications.

trisher Thu 17-Sep-20 12:01:01

Ashcombe are you aware that there is a search facility on Macs that enables you to put in a photo and find others which match it? It wouldn't take long for a tech-savvy individual to find your identity. Please remove the photos. If you have any doubts I suggest you discuss what you have done with your DD. I'm sorry if you feel I overstepped by reporting this it is for yours and others protection.

Iam64 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:53:39

trisher, this is another of those occasions when we agree. I also contact GNHQ expressing concern that the child is too young to give informed consent to the photograph being on a public forum. I had exactly the same response that you did.

I see the OP has responded to the concerns expressed here by saying she's no intention of removing the photographs.

Ashcombe Thu 17-Sep-20 11:45:45

Thank you for showing concern for the teacher. Many of the points raised are covered in posts I’ve made subsequent to the original one. One wonders how carefully contributors read them.
I do not intend to ask for my photos to be removed as I have not named my DD, DGD, the school, the teacher or the area in which my family lives. My Gransnet name gives no hint of my identity. Such photos as mine are often seen on social media. It will be a while before I post again on this site but I reiterate my gratitude to those who’ve replied or sent personal messages.

trisher Thu 17-Sep-20 11:44:56

Here's my reply from GNHQ
Talk about washing your hands!!!
Hello, thanks for you concern.
You're right. We are an open forum and anyone is able to see the photos. But this is the same for other social platforms. We would usually get in touch with the poster just to remind them but we can see that other users have already made her aware on the thread.
Best
GNHQ

How would you rate my reply?
Great Okay Not Good
Guess what my rating was? [grin} I also sent a message saying I hoped they accepted full responsibility for any repercussions.

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Sep-20 11:13:23

I’m sure Ellianne !

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 11:04:46

It comes with the job JenniferEccles!

westendgirl Thu 17-Sep-20 11:02:37

Well said Gwyneth.I did say earlier that the child in school can be very different from the child at home. This does cause problems at times when the parent comes storming in saying their child would not act in that way.Children do act in that way and teachers often see a side to children that would surprise their family .

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Sep-20 10:59:53

I am astonished at how the teacher concerned has been hung drawn and quartered by so many on here.

Honestly were his actions really so dreadful? It’s the old story of only hearing one side of the tale, the child’s side, but tearing a page out of an exercise book certainly didn’t warrant all the baying for his blood which has gone on for 7 pages!

That aspect of the thread is, in my opinion, a complete over-reaction, however I do share the concerns of some over the posting of photographs of the child.

Lucca I agree with you again!
This is becoming a habit!!

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 10:56:23

I see past pupils often and I love hearing about how well they are getting on.
That is my pride and joy Gwyneth. My wedding invitation list is great and I've had some past pupils to stay at ours too. Not to mention tickets to venues and freebies!
I certainly don't want to be centre stage in any way, just happy they have fond memories of their school days.