Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you get yours?

(64 Posts)
H1954 Mon 14-Sep-20 07:39:37

I was thinking about value for money, making things go further and generally getting my monies worth recently. To be more precise, I recently cut the end off what I though was an empty tube of skin serum only to find enough left for a further week! So, GNetters, a lighthearted opportunity to share how you "get your monies worth".

Teacheranne Sat 19-Sep-20 23:49:36

JackyB

Can anyone solve this one? I have stopped buying greaseproof/baking paper and got some permanent use silicone sheets for the oven trays. However, you can't cut them into sizes to line cake tins. I know we used to just grease them, but that didn't always work, so is there any other way to ensure you get the cake out intact?

Why can't you cut them? I bought a sheet of silicon and cut it to fit my baking trays. I haven't cut them to fit my cake tins as I seem to use a lot of different sizes so there would be a lot of wasted material,but I am planning to cut some liners for the bottom of the tins I use most often - then I can just grease the sides.

I have two baking trays lined with silicon sheets, one 'clean' for baking and one 'greasy' for chips, pies or other greasy foods as I find it harder to clean the greasy tin! The one I use for baking rarely needs washing, a quick wipe with kitchen towel does the trick!

MellowYellow Sat 19-Sep-20 23:33:37

I use shampoo and conditioner bars instead of bottles. They last for a very long time and there's absolutely no waste.

Mistyfluff8 Sat 19-Sep-20 21:16:26

Upside down bottles and rinse out Rinse Aid washing powder way too strong so only use a tiny squirt We have a water meter saved us loads of money .Freeze left over veg etc or Blanche it .Do stewed fruit with very ripe ones

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 17-Sep-20 12:23:11

Oh yes, just thought can I make a plea for people to save money and help the environment, by using reusable face coverings, not the disposable variety. Sorry to bring in the blasted virus, and will now scuttle for cover....

Joplin Tue 15-Sep-20 18:47:04

Re dog poo - the Dogs Trust sent me an email to say instead of using poo bags it was more eco friendly to flic it under a hedge with a stick. I've been doing this for more than a couple of years & it so much easier. Of course, not everyone is lucky enough to walk in the country but if possible always have a selection of sticks at the ready.

Juneandarchie1 Tue 15-Sep-20 11:26:32

Always add a drop of water to last bit of washing up liquid and hand wash to get every last bit out.
Buy big container of hand wash and pour it into normal size one, lasts ages and cheaper too.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 15-Sep-20 09:21:15

Both saving money and trying to be more eci friendly, I stopped using disposable make up remover wipes, and bought a pack of bamboo wipes, used with a bottle of remover, can be reused. Likewise stopped using fabric conditioner sheets for the tumble dryer, and use 2 big balls of needlefelted wool, to soften up the drying and cut down on creasing. Needless to say, I only use the dryer when line drying isn't possible.
Love the tips for use of rubber gloves. Will definitely be using these suggestions.

JackyB Tue 15-Sep-20 08:58:39

Can anyone solve this one? I have stopped buying greaseproof/baking paper and got some permanent use silicone sheets for the oven trays. However, you can't cut them into sizes to line cake tins. I know we used to just grease them, but that didn't always work, so is there any other way to ensure you get the cake out intact?

SueEH Tue 15-Sep-20 08:25:53

Notinthemanual

Thank you H1954 I love threads like this.

I live in a hard water area and add a spoon of soda crystals to the soap powder draw. I need much less powder and it prevents gunk building up in the drawer.

Old towels and T shirts are saved for cleaning cloths.

And if any single ladies out there haven't switched to a water meter yet - do. You'll save a lot of money

Also to single ladies, I requested a water meter earlier this year as I live in a four bedroom house on my own now that the kids have moved on. The water company couldn't fit the meter due to the strange location of the stop cock, but the proactive employee requested that I be put on a single occupier rate so now instead of paying nearly £55 per month it's only £20!

Anneeba Tue 15-Sep-20 08:21:37

Warning re using old plastic bags to pick up dog poo... Some of them, especially those that have had vegetables in, have holes in them... Oh dear, not fun :-(

Kenver60 Mon 14-Sep-20 21:57:24

I use scissors to cut Brillo pads in half.

rubysong Mon 14-Sep-20 21:16:34

We have cloth napkins so we don't use kitchen roll or buy paper napkins.
I think we all get the most out of our toothpaste tubes, we use a bulldog clip to keep the rolled up end in place.
No worries of any sort, bad for the environment as well as your purse.
I use very cheap face creams, currently Lidl or Aveeno baby cream for day and Nivea for night.
When I run the shower I save the cold until the hot comes through and use it to water plants or to flush the loo.
Solid shampoo bar is cheaper than a bottle and no plastic.

Cherrytree59 Mon 14-Sep-20 21:08:21

White vinegar is great.

Kills the weeds on drive and between paving slabs in back garden.

Use it as a softener in washing machine.

Use with bicarbonate of soda to clean washing machine (run empty on hot wash)

Use it in spray bottle for shower screen (clean off with (Karcher vax)

As Family member has an egg allergy, I use as a white vinegar as an egg substitute in a chocolate cake or chocolate muffins.

TheFrugalPiggy Mon 14-Sep-20 20:27:47

Never throw a tube of anything away until I've cut off the end and used up whats inside.

Use tin foil sparingly, and often manage to get three or four uses out of it before it goes in the recycling bin.

All old clothes, which aren't suitable for the charity shop, are used as cleaning clothes.

If we go to a restaurant and any food is left over I always ask for a Doggy Bag. In fact, if friends don't want to take their food home I take that too.

rizlett Mon 14-Sep-20 20:11:22

I use an ecoegg for washing - no more powder or fabric conditioner.

Daddima Mon 14-Sep-20 18:10:52

I feel very wasteful now!
Mind you, I do only use a very small amount of shampoo and conditioner, as well as a tiny amount of toothpaste, after my dentist asked me if I used toothpaste every time, and told me it’s not really necessary, especially if you use an electric toothbrush.

Oh, and I keep used oil in a jar to re-use for frying.

Jaye53 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:43:19

Charity shops sell bath oils/soaks etc very cheap and are good quality as they are unwanted gifts. Also they stock lovely scarves and very reasonable

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:08:00

Once the colour catcher has done it's job in the washing machine, I let them dry, save them then if I have and oily pan to clean out, I use the washed colour catchers (they are nice and absorbant) to clean the excess oil or grease out before washing the pan out.

I also scoop out the unreachable bits of lipstick, put them in a small pot and microwave. When hardened, use the tip of my pinkie to apply the lippy!

Nancat Mon 14-Sep-20 16:31:12

I live alone, but usually buy lage family sized packs whenever possible as it is usually much cheaper /Kg. Meat and fish I cut into one serving portions, bag and freeze (one of my best purchases was a proper butcher's knife), veg I blanch and freeze, dry goods I decant into smaller airtight pots. This also means that I need to shop less frequently, so miss all the impulse buys. Since I retired, I have to watch the pennies, but have plenty of time, so this works for me.

midgey Mon 14-Sep-20 16:14:29

If you cut Brillo pads in half, use scissors, it helps to sharpen the scissors!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 14-Sep-20 15:53:18

I open coffee, flour and sugar packets completely so they resemble flat pieces of paper. There is always more inside.

We turn containers of body shampoo upside down and stand them behind the bath taps when they are supposed to be empty. There is approximately a week's worth of soap left.

lucyanne Mon 14-Sep-20 15:36:41

1. Cut toes off an old pair of nylon stockings. Cut the foot and legs into 2 cm rings. The rings of nylon can then can be used for plant ties which do not damage plants.

2. Use scissors to cut the complete top a bags of frozen or dried products to produce a strip. Use the strip as a bag tie to seal the bag. As the bag gets lower cut off another strip.

gulligranny Mon 14-Sep-20 15:14:52

We buy a particular brand of teabags that are really strong, and we make tea in our little teapot using only one bag. Leave it to brew for a few minutes and bingo, one teabag for two cups of tea.

jusnoneed Mon 14-Sep-20 15:13:13

My son suffers with dry skin and the best thing we have found for him is Aveeno, he likes the pump dispenser. After it stopped pumping the cream I thought that it still felt heavy for a supposed empty bit of plastic, so I cut it about 3 inches from the bottom (leaves a small pot then) to find quite a bit of cream still in there. Now I always cut them open. Put a bit of tinfoil over the top.
I always reuse plastic bags when possible, wash and dry them. Only time I don't is if they've had raw meat or fish in.
Take away containers are great for freezing bits and pieces. I rarely throw any food out, you can freeze most stuff.
Use less washing liquid than stated and stopped using softener. Bit of washing soda occasionally. Machine stays much cleaner and rarely smells horrible now.

Alioop Mon 14-Sep-20 15:08:04

Squeeze the fairy liquid bottle into water and it sucks some water back into the bottle and you get another couple for goes at it lol