Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you feel my pain ? ?

(18 Posts)
J52 Wed 16-Sep-20 10:13:59

I put spent coffee grounds mixed with cheap ‘Vick’ rub, down it seems to work. We can’t smell the mixture
Cats use their senses of touch and smell to pick their place.
Last year a cat seriously had diarrhoea on my lawn where our table is. Despite washing the grass with loads of water, detol etc. the smell lingered in desperation I emptied a sachet of drawer perfume granules on the spot. It masked the other pong and eventually both smells went.

downtoearth Wed 16-Sep-20 09:20:58

Our problem is the wild ducks that roam freely in gangs,tearing up plants and crapping freely,so the unwary can step in it and slide and slip to the washing line.

Grandmabatty Wed 16-Sep-20 08:47:54

Squirrels, rabbits and cats all like visiting my garden. Oh, and the occasional dog whose owner looks the other way. My garden now looks like fort knox! I have wire mesh covering bare bits, bamboo Skewers in other bits, twine covering pots that are regularly raised by squirrels and the whole thing looks like a garden on Mars as it has a light (not light) dusting of cayenne powder. Only partially successful so far.

Grammaretto Wed 16-Sep-20 08:40:49

I don't hate cats either and had my own for 19 years (who was trained to only use a litter tray) BUT why do people need to have so many?
The RSPB website says that approx 27 million birds are killed each year by the 8 million domestic cats in the UK.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Sep-20 19:12:45

Thanks all I really have tried all the things mentioned but hey ho I ll just have to be more on the ball There is now netting over the dug over areas I don’t hate cats I just wish they d all wear nappies when out on the road

Witzend Tue 15-Sep-20 10:04:24

I’ve also used barbecue skewers as a ‘palisade’ round the edges of the big pots containing my newly planted out tomatoes. That was to keep the rampaging squirrels off though - otherwise they’d have dug everything up.

For cats, how about a lot of prickly prunings from e.g. holly or roses? There used to be a neighbour’s cat that lurked for ages under a large shrub hoping to pounce on the birds (feeders nearby). A layer of chopped-small prickly stuff seemed to work well.

MerylStreep Tue 15-Sep-20 10:04:08

I'm afraid the only answer is to have all the ground covered.
I would love to have seen how a cat crapped in one of my pots with a small Holly bush in it ?

Greta Tue 15-Sep-20 10:01:10

I really do hate cat poo in my garden. My next door neighbour has three and they frequently visit. I know cats can't be controlled like dogs so why do you need three cats?
Last week I planted some tulip bulbs. I put netting over them and stuck some small sharp stones in some of the holes in the net. I thought they would make the patch uncomfortable to walk/squat on. I am out in the garden every morning to inspect and so far it has worked.

MellowYellow Tue 15-Sep-20 09:55:36

Oh how I sympathise! But my problem is mainly at my allotment, where the neighbouring cats think it's wonderful to poo everywhere. Not sure how they get in though cos there's a massive fence around the site. Anyway, I stuck loads of those very thin wooden barbecue skewers in the ground and they work a treat. At home I use either black or transparent plastic forks with the prongs upwards! They work well too! grin

Grandmafrench Tue 15-Sep-20 09:52:23

That’s horrible for you, and what has the cat been eating? I thought I was looking at corms. Best not to provide any areas of freshly dug and weeded ground.....perfect for a cat to make use of. Aim to have close planting and plenty of ground cover, so space for a loo is difficult. Cover newly planted areas with long twigs, things which are difficult to navigate.....even a cat’s cradle ? of twine stretched between little posts which will be a deterrent. The odd (thorny) rose, but not Catmint which cats love and will roll around in it at the slightest chance. Grammaretto tigers ? would work 100% - but they’re not cheap to run! ?

Chewbacca Tue 15-Sep-20 09:34:39

My neighbours on both sides, got so fed up with the amount of cat poo in their gardens that they both invested in those gadgets that emit a high pitched tone that cats apparently dislike. They have 8 of the things between them. They also still have cat poo in their gardens. As do I. Hate coming across it, especially on the lawn.

Parsley3 Tue 15-Sep-20 09:24:15

? The offending cat is clearly trying to frame the sparkly eyed deterrent. I have the cat and pigeon poo problem too.
I get fed up having to rewash sheets that the wretched birds have used as target practice.

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 15-Sep-20 09:11:05

We have pigeons pooing on everything, squirrels stealing the bulbs and leaving walnuts in their place and a rabbit munches on the vegetable patch
.Field mice run through the garden, before moving into the attic and a baby frog is living under the courgettes, the horses in the field at the back attract horse flies, So it’s no wonder DDs dog goes crazy when she arrives here, so many smells.

Thankfully no cat poo though. MIL had one of those cat scarers that emitted a high pitched squeal, it worked for her quite small courtyard garden, but I could hear it so I had to sit indoors☹️ As she refused to turn it off whilst we were there.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 15-Sep-20 08:50:46

Now that really is taking the proverbial p... ?

Grammaretto Tue 15-Sep-20 08:50:36

Oh dear BlueBelle I can see that evidence .
shock
In my garden it's squirrels and pigeons who destroy my plants. I dont seem to be bothered by cats. Squirrels dug up all my expensive bulbs.
Is catnip a detterant or tiger poo?
Maybe I should make a squirrel with scary eyes?

Ellianne Tue 15-Sep-20 08:43:21

Oh dear, that is funny, NOT!! grin

sodapop Tue 15-Sep-20 08:41:18

Oh BlueBelle yes I feel your pain, all your hard work being pooped on.
Not laughing honestly smile

BlueBelle Tue 15-Sep-20 08:26:34

For years I have tried to outfox (excuse the pun) the cats that come into my garden to do their toilet and to dig up my bulbs and newly planted flowers
I thought, after trying everything on the market I had the answer when I bought some cats scarers (pretend cats with sparkling green eyes) they even make me jump ......
Well that is until this morning
DO NOT LAUGH !