Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Thursday

(3 Posts)
Rufus2 Thu 17-Sep-20 15:07:53

Evening Everyone! Not sure if this will get past our censors without lots of passages blacked out! Equally, can’t guarantee no deletions at your end!
Should be OK as it’s culture this evening with a capital K.
To set the ball rolling, we went to Northern Spain to catch a luxury train for a week’s tour along the coast. Very nice scenery and cultural topics centred on sardines and cider, pouring of, into a glass held 2m below glass! shock
Video was pre-covid, but it’s easy to see why it took off so drastically in Spain with all the hugging and double cheek kissing between international passengers and even train crew! Bet they'll ban that permanently! sad

Then we were off to the Tower for some real culture! a 103 gun salute for the Queen’s coronation anniversary, Don.Trump’s visit and something else I’ve forgotten followed by a tour of the Queen’s jewels guarded by the Welsh Guards. Following, was Le Tour, but I was getting dizzy with all those switch-backs, so I’m seeking some R&R here! hmm

Jaxjacky Liked the car, but prefer automatics as practically all are here! Easier to drive; hill starts are a breeze! Manuals have to be ordered and I’m not sure if they’re not pricier. No2 son prefers manuals and it’s like riding a switchback with the constant gear-changing. Still, beggars can’t be choosers as I”ll need him if and when some restrictions are lifted.

Some new sayings appearing because of Covid;
“Schooling from home”/”Screaming from home” “Elephant in the Zoom”
Apparently more people are expressing a wish to get back to working at “work” rather than home because they miss the social contact. Some bosses say they’d prefer certain people to continue working from home and not return!
It’s what you’d call a 2-edged sword I guess!

Wet weather didn’t materialise after all, but a cold Southerly did. Only 15C after yesterday’s 21C,but will be 21C again tomorrow. Switchback weather!

Fancy England beating the Aussies at Old Trafford! Be interesting to see what happens with Boxing Day Test in Melbourne
Anyway, it’s only 99 days to 25th. December, so anything can happen!

Good Health, wine wine wine

OoRoo

Megs36 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:35:56

Hi Rufus, lovely holiday, if only .
Heard today that our Warners break at end of October is cancelled, social distancing on coach unreasonable and only limited number of passengers so a second coach would make it too expensive.Rule of 6 in the hotel means we can’t all mix sociably like we usually do.
Interesting about manual versus automatic cars, my husband would have preferred automatic but I didn’t, quite ironic now because I no longer drive! My daughter in law passed her test inanautomatic,then had to take another one when sheegot a manual.....
Cheers ??????

Jaxjacky Thu 17-Sep-20 19:16:19

Evening Rufus I drove too many sluggish automatic CRS when I used to visit the USA on business, the memory stays..
An uneventful day, flu jab am (Do you get called in for them?) library this afternoon. Sadly our little library is due to close at Christmas, there is a move to staff with volunteers, I hope so ?A very pleasant day today, about 23 and sunny, the veggies in the garden need a water, no proper rain for ages. Your health ?