Gransnet forums

Chat

Had a bad fall in the (walk-in) shower ?

(118 Posts)
flyinghandbagisback Fri 18-Sep-20 17:12:15

Hi all,
I went for a shower around 12:45 and slipped on a wet wipe when conditioning my hair, falling and hurting my knee. I lay there for around 5 minutes then tried to get up but I couldn't manage it then ended up hurting my arm as I fell back down.

I knocked the shampoo and conditioner bottles from the alcove at the side of the shower in the process too, and the conditioner went up the wet wall and on the floor of the shower, which I didn't realise at the time.

I then lay there for a further 5 minutes trying to see if mum would come in to the house to help me up (she was out cutting the grass) but she didn't, so I decided to try to stand up (I was at the other end of the shower from the shower head, and in a corner of the shower with the alcove above my head), got half-up and then my hands slipped on the conditioner on the wall, landed on my knees which slipped on the conditioner on the shower floor, hit off the wall and ricocheted onto the shower door, so hard it opened outwards, even though it is supposed to open inwards and the clip was on.
My father heard me hitting off the door from upstairs and came in to the toilet to see if I was okay (the shower curtain was shut), realised I couldn't get up and that the floor was swimming with water due to the doors opening, and went to get mum from the garden to help me up.
It took ten minutes to get me up, and mum wanted to phone an ambulance but I forbade her as I was naked. Once she got me up, I could hardly stand, so she had to help me finish my shower then help me upstairs so I could put my clothes on.

All in all, I was on the floor of the shower for 25 minutes. My whole body hurts, especially my arm as I hurt it when I fell the second time and it bounced off the wall then I landed on it when I slipped on the conditioner.

I am very sore, but I am going to do my hair, put on my makeup and go into the garden. X

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 21:49:28

You should get checked out with your GP for:

Ear problems (possible otoconia, BPPV, labyrinthitis)
Low blood pressure
Epilepsy
A tumour
Heart disease
Dementia
Vision problems
Anaemia
UTIs
Etc

X

BlueBelle Sat 19-Sep-20 18:34:18

Flyinghandbags you are doing all that long winded quoting again it really isn’t necessary

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 16:35:46

FH please take your falls seriously. Do mention it to your doctor, unless you already know the cause of such frequent falls in a younger person x

lemongrove Sat 19-Sep-20 14:20:47

Thankfully it didn’t affect your appetite FH ?

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 14:13:50

Poteen - silly autocorrect!
I think poteen and potent do belong in the same sentence.

FlyingH from your posts I think you're more in danger at home than in any airport.

Hope you're not too bruised.

flyinghandbagisback Sat 19-Sep-20 13:24:49

JenniferEccles

I hope you are feeling better today FlyingHandbags.
It sounded like a nasty fall.

I feel slightly better, thanks. X

JenniferEccles Sat 19-Sep-20 13:23:37

I hope you are feeling better today FlyingHandbags.
It sounded like a nasty fall.

MawB2 Sat 19-Sep-20 11:21:43

Poteen - silly autocorrect!

Charleygirl5 Sat 19-Sep-20 11:08:35

Maw if you start drinking so early you will lead others astray. I hope FH would not start drinking (alcohol) quite so early.

Anyway, alcohol and head injuries do not mix and today should be a quiet day for her.

MawB2 Sat 19-Sep-20 11:00:23

grin
I love the idea of a gran bar in the shower!
Stocked with sweet sherry, Wincarnis tonic wine, or if it’s for the Argy Grans, potent and moonshine!
Mine’s a G&T thanks. ?

MawB2 Sat 19-Sep-20 10:57:25

flyinghandbagisback

MawB2

Savouring the moment of respite from the pink or purple sparkly balloon debate.
Can hardly wait for the agonising over the canapés

It's not a debate about balloons, it's trying to make a decision about what colour of dress to wear, but I don't wish to get into that now. X

Oh good.

Ashcombe Sat 19-Sep-20 10:56:19

Charleygirl5

I have missed so many- maybe I was sulking instead of reading posts when I also was told to FO. I was educated at a good Catholic school and I do not really understand language like that. There is a first time for everything and that was my first FO.

Gosh!

My first experience of being told to FO was in my first teaching job, aged 22, in a high school in Luton when it was said to me by a 14 year old boy. He was caned by the Dep Head.

flyinghandbagisback Sat 19-Sep-20 10:26:55

Callistemon

Actually, I think I may have the answer.

Flying - do you fly a lot, FlyingH?
When I've flown I sometimes have problems with my ears and that affects your balance.

? to me

I don't fly often at all as I am frightened of a terrorist attack on the airport. X

flyinghandbagisback Sat 19-Sep-20 10:24:48

MawB2

It's not a debate about balloons, it's trying to make a decision about what colour of dress to wear, but I don't wish to get into that now. X

flyinghandbagisback Sat 19-Sep-20 10:23:42

agnurse

Yikes! Scary!

I agree that you should rest up. A couple of additional pieces of advice:

-it might be a good idea for your mum and dad to keep an eye on you for the next couple of days. This is just in case you hit your head. I am not sure how old you are, but in people over 65, especially, you can sometimes see brain problems develop days after a head injury. If your brain is having problems, it can be hard to determine for yourself if you're having issues as you've damaged the very thing you're using to see if you're okay.

-you may like to think about installing grab bars, as a PP suggested, or even getting yourself a shower chair, maybe. This is a plastic chair that you put in the shower so you can sit on it. (If it makes you feel any better, not only old people use shower chairs. We used to use them for new mums when I worked in hospital. Understandably the mums would want a shower after the baby was born, and we would put the chair in so they wouldn't pass out from their BP dropping due to the water being warm.)

-if the falls are becoming a recurring issue I'd strongly recommend that you see your provider. Depending on what's happening at the time of the fall, they may order some tests to see if there is a physical problem, and they may also be able to refer you to professionals such as physical and occupational therapists. PT can help improve muscle strength, and OT professionals can help determine if there is equipment and things you might need at home to reduce your risk for falls and improve your safety.

Thanks for your lovely message. That's very helpful. I didn't hit my head. I have 1 gran bar but it's not much use to me. I think I'll try to source a shower chair. X

MawB2 Sat 19-Sep-20 10:17:22

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 19-Sep-20 08:43:13

Sorry lives...

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 19-Sep-20 08:43:04

Hope everyone has a good weekend

Stay safe

Stay upright.

Save lies

Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 08:11:41

Phoenix. ......thin and ice spring to mind??

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Sep-20 23:18:50

phoenix please watch your language- I may have an attack of the vapours hearing that. You know what a sensitive soul I am.

My cat has come to tell me several times it is bedtime and she who must be obeyed so nite, nite.

phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 23:02:41

Oh bugger! Sorry.

MerylStreep Fri 18-Sep-20 22:58:54

phoenix
You forgot Babe.

agnurse Fri 18-Sep-20 22:58:25

Yikes! Scary!

I agree that you should rest up. A couple of additional pieces of advice:

-it might be a good idea for your mum and dad to keep an eye on you for the next couple of days. This is just in case you hit your head. I am not sure how old you are, but in people over 65, especially, you can sometimes see brain problems develop days after a head injury. If your brain is having problems, it can be hard to determine for yourself if you're having issues as you've damaged the very thing you're using to see if you're okay.

-you may like to think about installing grab bars, as a PP suggested, or even getting yourself a shower chair, maybe. This is a plastic chair that you put in the shower so you can sit on it. (If it makes you feel any better, not only old people use shower chairs. We used to use them for new mums when I worked in hospital. Understandably the mums would want a shower after the baby was born, and we would put the chair in so they wouldn't pass out from their BP dropping due to the water being warm.)

-if the falls are becoming a recurring issue I'd strongly recommend that you see your provider. Depending on what's happening at the time of the fall, they may order some tests to see if there is a physical problem, and they may also be able to refer you to professionals such as physical and occupational therapists. PT can help improve muscle strength, and OT professionals can help determine if there is equipment and things you might need at home to reduce your risk for falls and improve your safety.

phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 22:49:06

First time for everything, as they say Charleygirl Hopefully this will also be your last.

Hugs hun, mwah mwah!

DiscoGran Fri 18-Sep-20 22:46:44

I'm still up. Now I want to know about that one, Bluebelle