Gransnet forums

Chat

Back to shopping after home deliveries?

(80 Posts)
overthehill Fri 18-Sep-20 19:45:09

Being over 70 and diabetic type 2 although quite well thank God, I finally got registered with Sainsbury's for on line shopping some months back and have continued ever since. For a long time now I've been to our local one for odd stuff.

Today me and hubs visited our local Morrisons as we have been away for a week and needed some provisions.

I've wondered about should I return to doing my own weekly shop instead of the weekly online delivery?

After today I think not. There was no one at the door checking numbers, no paper towel to go with sanitiser for the trolley. People pushing past you and when we queued to pay the person behind bumped into hubs with her trolley a couple of times then when we went forward with our shopping to put on the belt, she followed instead of standing back as instructed.

No, we said for the sake if around 50p for delivery the convenience, not having to get the car out etc. we'll be sticking with online shopping

Alishka Mon 21-Sep-20 21:02:54

shock That's rotten for you, Grandmakath I've used both Iceland home deliveries (I thought they were only a frozen food centre, but they're not and their fresh meat,fish and veg are all really good), but now I've settled with Morrisons where I can get a full range of products. I haven't bothered to buy a Pass as I can always get declivery slots to suit.
Good luck and again, I'm absolutely shocked by their cavalier attitude.

overthehill Mon 21-Sep-20 17:08:32

Grandmakath

I am surprised that some of you are still getting deliveries from Sainsbury's. I finally managed to get registered with them a few months ago too. I am in my late seventies with various health problems but not on NHS list. All went well until 3 weeks ago when they cancelled my weekly order on the delivery day. No explanation or offer of another slot. We had not been out for months and husband was reluctant for us to go supermarket shopping until after weekend. We managed with what we had until the Monday. I asked Sainsbury what had been the problem and would it happen again. They replied that they were making thousands of deliveries to people on NHS list and everyone else should shop instore.

Surprised here never happened so far, fingers crossed

hereshoping Mon 21-Sep-20 06:17:45

We've found substitutions a bit of an adventure and have tried things that we wouldn't have thought of and have mostly been fine or even better than our usual.
Refused a substitution for the first time this week, my husband is very fussy about his Guinness and it suddenly seems to be in very short supply.

Grandmakath Mon 21-Sep-20 04:00:29

I am surprised that some of you are still getting deliveries from Sainsbury's. I finally managed to get registered with them a few months ago too. I am in my late seventies with various health problems but not on NHS list. All went well until 3 weeks ago when they cancelled my weekly order on the delivery day. No explanation or offer of another slot. We had not been out for months and husband was reluctant for us to go supermarket shopping until after weekend. We managed with what we had until the Monday. I asked Sainsbury what had been the problem and would it happen again. They replied that they were making thousands of deliveries to people on NHS list and everyone else should shop instore.

Mealybug Sun 20-Sep-20 21:07:17

I will just stick to online shopping now, I've found that if I go and do it myself I can hardly breathe (Emphysema) so it saves me the trouble. When I did last visit Tesco I noticed that half the customers weren't wearing a mask and nobody enforced the rule (they can't all be exempt).

stewaris Sun 20-Sep-20 21:01:14

I started shopping on line when we had to wear masks. I can wear one for about 10 minutes if the shop is cool but after two highly embarrassing meltdowns I no longer go to the supermarket. DH has to get the things I can't.

Romola Sun 20-Sep-20 17:55:32

I always loathed the supermarket shop and since he retired about 15 years ago, DH has done it - he enjoys it! But now we're mainly getting online deliveries, which I order. So he's been missing the shopping, so now and again he does take himself off to Aldi.
One good thing about ordering online is that it's easier to find out more about the items e.g. country of origin, ingredients, how animal-friendly etc. And I've found one or two things which we hadn't had but are now regular items.

Greciangirl Sun 20-Sep-20 17:42:30

I am very happy with Asda click and collect service.

They no longer provide plastic bags, and rightly so. What a waste they were. Instead we take our own shopping bags and fill them ourselves. Only takes a few minutes.

I’m always asked if I’m happy with substitutes if there are any.

Also, when ordering you are able to tick the substitute column if agreeable.
There are always plenty of slots available compared to delivery and it’s free.
Last week I managed to get a delivery as was unable to do a collection. I was charged £5 but had no choice but to take it.
I won’t be having any more delivery slots.

hicaz46 Sun 20-Sep-20 17:20:39

Have been having milk from Milk and More for a few years and was able to get Ocado, Sainsbury’s and Tesco delivery soon after lockdown as I am over 70. Used to have occasional Ocado delivery before but now I alternate every 10 days or 2 weeks between Ocado and Sainsbury’s. I have also just resumed a fortnightly veg box from Riverford. I have ventured to a big new Lidl near us for odds and ends but only twice and I have no desire to go shopping regularly either for food or clothes, or anything else for that matter.

widgeon3 Sun 20-Sep-20 13:45:14

In my 80s I could not get a slot anywhere. My son-in-law stayed up all night to get me a WR one but this did not seem to register with the firm itself. I tried repeat calls over 2 days but mostly the line was out of order. The young man, to whom I spoke in the Manchester area was charming. I learned a lot about his life and aspirations but nothing about a slot, 'Shielded' or not. The ages spent with a helpful girl in Tesco did not pay off either
I do not know what the Government edict vis-a vis the people who must be kept out of the way to protect the nHS/ NCS might be. There has been no message from 'Matt' recently
I know only that a consultant tells me that I am highly . susceptible to whatever is going. What I also know is that the 2 helpful families from this very small village have not asked me recently if I need any shopping.
Any suggestions, any one??

rowyn Sun 20-Sep-20 13:31:14

I'm in my 70s but couldn't get a delivery slot with anyone at the beginning, even though a regular customer at Sainsburys and Waitrose - have both their loyalty cards.
After a couple of weeks I managed to register with Asda, but could only get a click and collect slot. It's worked fine and been pleased and surprised with long sell by dates plus quality of the fresh food I've bought . Added to that, living alone, it was quite a treat actually to have contact with another human being - even at a distance for just a few seconds!
Am continuing, the Click and Collect fortnightly and buying a few things in between locally at times when I know the shop(s) will not be busy.

Lancslass1 Sun 20-Sep-20 13:30:25

I am delighted that Ocado are delivering all M and S products.
Their delivery costs more than some other supermarkets and it costs extra if you don't spend £75 but at our local M and S food store ,often the products one wants are not available.
Iceland delivery is free if one spends £35 and Iceland stock Greggs sausage rolls!
The only supermarket I will go to now is Lidl's
We have a new one opened not far away .
Wide aisles and large car park.

JaneRn Sun 20-Sep-20 13:24:20

I have shopped with Waitrose on line for several years and would never consider any other way. It is so quick and easy with reminders of your usual favourite items in case you have forgotten anything, plenty of delivery slots and I find the whole process takes less than 20 minutes, including allowing time to look for bargains! I find it particularly helpful getting an email well before the delivery time showing any items unavailable or substitutes - both very rare - so that you can let the driver know before he starts the delivery. I miss having the shopping carried into the kitchen as they used to but the door step is fine.

My only change is that my monthly delivery is now fortnightly as I keep my fridge, freezer and cupboards well stocked in anticipation of the next lockdown.

Tish Sun 20-Sep-20 13:17:04

I went to Morrison’s last weekend, only ‘Cos I was going to B&Q, they are in the same retail park and was quite shocked.... no-one checking nos. Etc, indeed it seemed just like a normal busy Saturday ore-Covid glad I can normally use my little local shops.

Daddima Sun 20-Sep-20 13:10:52

I switched to online shopping when the Bodach’s dementia meant he couldn’t drive. I’ll stick with Sainsbury, as I’ve been very satisfied with their service.

Buttonjugs Sun 20-Sep-20 13:00:57

I have always shopped throughout the pandemic and in the early days it was very well managed with social distancing, queues to go in etc. Then the mask rule came in and it’s like the pandemic doesn’t exist. I suspected this would happen. The shops now just let everyone in and don’t keep on top of the supplies of sanitiser at the door.

Blinko Sun 20-Sep-20 13:00:47

Almost since lockdown in March, we've been doing click and collect fortnightly at Asda. It works well and we intend to continue with it. Our local butcher delivers and I nip to the village greengrocer for fresh fruit and veg if we run short. So far, so good.

allium Sun 20-Sep-20 12:35:19

Even in normal times I'd never give up supermarket deliveries, been having them for donkeys years, great respect for the drivers for doing what must be a very difficult job at times.

Henri66 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:33:23

Afternoon everyone,
Have just read the above thought I would write.
I prefer to do my own shopping as others have said I don't trust picker's to get my fruits & vegetables I enjoy popping into my Sainsbury's when they open up bring my own hand-sanitiers use my app on my phone no children running around in and out under an hour drive home quick pitch stop at our local bakery in the village for fresh bread then home were a fresh pot of coffee waiting this is all done before 10 am. Just like to say I'm back to work now working 5 days on 3 days off and I still do this on my 1st day off sometimes I'm not home until around 11.30 pm on my last working day.
Happy Sunday I'm enjoying the sunshine here in East Sussex?

Theoddbird Sun 20-Sep-20 12:31:06

I love the click and collect and intend continuing with it.

LesLee7 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:24:59

I do prefer to go to the shops as you can see the offers and as I'm on my own can check the BB dates. It took me nearly 6 weeks to get an online shop and as the selfish stockpilers had emptied the shelves on my previous visits meant I worked my way through the freezer and the out of date tins. I had already signed up to Mortons Dairies years ago and they were a godsend for basics. I go to where I can get a delivery every 4 or 5 weeks. Although I normally shop at Morrisons they aren't as good as Asda and Tesco when it comes to picking, substitutions and deliveries. Couldn't get a Sainsburys slot as not classed as vulnerable. I'm sticking to the online, my neighbour is very good and gets me bits if she goes (would never ask anyone to do me a full shop) and occasionally if it looks quiet I whip round Morisons with a basket. Although Aldi have the plastic screens they seem to rush to get people onto the belt before the previous customer has paid.

tinysidsmum Sun 20-Sep-20 12:01:45

As I had to shield hubby has been supermarket shopping for us. Otherwise we buy everything online and have done so for a long time. Tbh I have never liked going shopping anyway.

BelindaB Sun 20-Sep-20 12:01:17

I prefer to shop myself as I'm 1) very picky and 2) prefer to select fruit and veg (that I don't grow myself) very carefully. I am also very frugal and love to get a bargain - not always apparent when doing on line shopping.

However, yesterday in Sainsbury's I was yelled at by a very rude woman. I am asthmatic and cannot wear a mask. I wear an "exempt" badge given to me by the chest clinic and try and avoid other shoppers when out, i.e I almost always hit Sainsbury's by 8 am latest.

I had almost finished my shopping when I remembered something for my daughter and went to the dental aisle. I moved a packet of the toothpick thingies and got a snout full of dust - one of my main allergies.

I put my hand over my mouth and stepped back but it still made me cough, which is when this woman absolutely shreiked at me - "You should be ashamed of yourself - without a mask!" I held up my badge and said I couldn't and why "Well, I'm asthmatic too and I wear one!" and she flounced off.

I could only yell after her that she was very lucky to be able to do so! It reduced me to tears, not my usual reaction but it's been a bad week health wise and I feel very low right now.

I could also have explained that I was at our local hospital this week and was tested and cleared, but she never gave me the chance...

Sainsburies are continually playing a message saying that not everyone's disabilities are clear to the eye and asking customers to be a little tolerant. Maybe that woman was deaf, as well as rude.

Bijou Sun 20-Sep-20 11:52:00

Being disabled and housebound on line shopping is a godsend for me.
Sainsburys are good. Only had one stupid substitution. Atora suet instead of yeast.
I do miss the independent butcher.
I stand at the far end of the kitchen while the driver puts everything on the table.

Daisymae Sun 20-Sep-20 11:17:31

I used to do both but have not been near a supermarket since March. Yesterday I booked a weekly slot as I feel the need to prep!