Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(88 Posts)
12Michael Sun 20-Sep-20 06:19:08

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight but its dry with some wind and an autumnal chill in the air.
Met up with my sister and brother last night at a new local hotel here in Brackley , as the hotel with the town being close to Silverstone Circuit you had support teams staying in it .
Plus yesterday , in Buckingham Flea Market I managed to buy an old map of Ireland original price 1/- paid £2 for it for my brother in law .
Today , final stage of Tour De France based in Paris , and see how the sprints unfold .
Take Care ,
Mick

Urmstongran Sun 20-Sep-20 22:11:02

Hi there Llamedos ? no reason you can’t post even if late! Nice to have you join us.

Kate54 Sun 20-Sep-20 20:05:51

Well done Lins - as a regular reader, I’ve been waiting for this thread to reach four pages for months and today it has! It’s gone 8pm so this is probably a bit late!

Doodle Sun 20-Sep-20 15:18:42

Lins I’ll always stand you a pint of poteen in the Argy whenever you’re around so don’t forget to pop in.
I miss dragonfly too and hope that she will return when she’s ready.
gillybob thinking of you too.

Llamedos13 Sun 20-Sep-20 14:58:06

I don’t post on this thread as I’m in Canada and my morning is your afternoon but I read it everyday and feel like I know you all. I just wanted to say to Mellow Yellow that I wish I could take a load of wool and knitting needles and produce something as cute as that wee quilt, especially loved the little baby tucked up in bed.

MellowYellow Sun 20-Sep-20 14:07:25

I love the fact that on this thread we are so spread around the country/UK/world. Welcome GrannyOwl, Canterbury reminds me of when my daughter was university-searching and we drove from Cornwall to look around the Uni there and (I am Cornish so forgive me) it seemed so far away!!! Oh dear, nothing personal. Ha ha.

Greyduster Sun 20-Sep-20 12:06:35

?Happy Birthday to you, Nannyjan! ??.

GrannyOwl5 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:01:53

Thank you all for your welcoming messages. My house is worth as much as anyone wants to pay for it Urmstongran! A good storm is always awesome Grandmafrench, but best viewed from inside.

Grandmafrench Sun 20-Sep-20 11:42:29

Hope your hay is baled and stored, Beauregard. Good morning, just, GrannyOwl and boho. Maybe ignore young Urms ...... if she didn’t write interesting stuff in coherent sentences, we’d almost believe she’s Spanish correspondent for the Daily Mail! ?

Lins1066 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:39:43

Thank you for your good wishes. I never said I was leaving. I said I was taking a break, as many others have done, some more than once. xx

Gingster Sun 20-Sep-20 11:39:14

Like you all say, I love reading all the messages every morning. Some I relate to DH and now he says ‘how are the gransnetters today’?

It is a life line and always interesting to see what everyone’s up to. Be it an adventure, holiday, garden activity, craft or just having an easy day. If any are poorly, it’s nice to get a cheery ‘get well soon,’. or have problems it’s lovely to get support and a ‘thinking of you’.

I always think I’ve rambled on and have bored everyone half to death, but I enjoy getting my thoughts down and it’s a lovely way to start the day.

Please don’t leave us. We enjoy hearing from you all. ♥️

Urmstongran Sun 20-Sep-20 11:30:33

Hello to you GrannyOwl and boho. The more the merrier!
??
And welcome back Beauregard!

Now keeping with tradition, if you ladies wouldn’t mind sharing with us the value of your homes that’d be grand.

Grandmafrench Sun 20-Sep-20 11:26:17

Good Morning everyone from sunny and hot.....and not a little crazy S of France.

Have a very Happy Birthday, ? Nannyjan ?

You should be proud Mellow Treasures like that are for life, as so many talented posters know.

Feel better, please, Hazbeen and Nortsat.

Blimey, Lins you’ve started something! I won’t say “don’t leave” - you might really want a break and at least you warned us. But I’m echoing everyone, I think, by saying that nothing anyone posts is unwelcome, dull or banal. It makes up a huge patchwork of daily doings in life - the ups and downs, the joy and the panics which we want to share and which, I feel, glues us together here.

For me, there’s not a single soul who shares these Good Mornings that I wouldn’t want to have a cuppa and a damn good “blether” with and I think that counts for so much now when we are ALL struggling in some way to make sense of our lives.

Maybe I’ve just explained why I ramble on in my posts - it’s because I’m so pleased to ‘see’ everyone each day.....it’s one of the few good bits in my (often dispiriting) new normal ?.
I think I’ve just made myself sound like my dogs!

This is such a lovely thread. Long may it flourish and encourage new posters as well as lurking admirers. And, in the shitstorm which is 2020, we need It and each other more than ever. ❤️

In other news.....we finally got our forecast torrential rain at 6.30pm. Fortunately, because I actually obeyed the warning, there was nothing outside to suffer from such a violent rainstorm. Dry at 11pm, dogs went out, cats kept in. Goodnight all!

3am? We are almost blown out of bed by thunder so loud and sudden and constant that conversation, for an hour, was shouted. That rain smashing against the shutters, would have hurt. The angry storm which had lurked all day in the Cévennes, had rolled to the coast and decided to treat all us sleeping fools with a noise and light show I’ve not heard for years.

Today, did we imagine that? Perky plants, gentle breeze, animals lying in the sun and a spotless terrace and courtyard. No damage, but I expect there will have been problems inland.

Wishing you all, rather late, the best day, the best mood and only good things.

Urmstongran Sun 20-Sep-20 11:24:36

I think most of my posts are banal anyway.
There’s just a lot of verbiage in them! I could edit them better. I just tap out my morning thoughts and give Himself a bit of peace for 10 minutes.
??

boho43 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:16:46

Whoops - really!

boho43 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:14:15

Goodmorning All from Somerset, where it is again a lovely sunny day.
Having read this thread a few times I have decided to join you, although not being an early bird my very boring posts will be a bit late!
Had a good day yestersay with my DH at Wells market & lunch out. A birthday lunch for him - he turned 79 this week - ' I simply dont believe it' time just flies.
I have 3 grandchildren - the eldest being 31!
We moved from Cornwall to Somerset last year to be near the family. I love it. Having lived in Cornwall for 49 years, I dont realyy miss it strangely enough.
Hope everyone has a peaceful day.

grandMattie Sun 20-Sep-20 11:08:40

GrannyOwl15, that makes two of us in the area! Welcome.

GrannyOwl5 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:05:04

Good morning everyone. I have posted occasionally before but read this thread regularly and have enjoyed virtually meeting you all every morning. Decided to try and post regularly after posters’ encouraging messages.
I live near Canterbury in Kent but am in North Yorkshire this week on holiday. At the moment I am in Easingwold having just visited the Yorkshire Jigsaw shop which has kept me supplied with jigsaws during lockdown. Good to see it in the flesh so to speak and meet the staff. Never thought I would become excited about jigsaws! Lockdown has much to answer for!
Hope everyone has a good day

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:02:55

Good Morning Mick and all from grey (but dry) Harrogate. I shall most likely be doing some baking this am. Did a stew in my slow cooker yesterday, which gave me two meals to freeze. This morning I have changed my home delivery shop from Asda to Morrisons, swithered about Sainsburies, but both DDs shop there, so handy if they can get me what I can't get and vice versa. Asda does not appear to be selling fresh cream at the moment!!! I hate the stuff, but have been instructed to give to DH to fatten him up.
Hope everyone is keeping well.

CherryCezzy Sun 20-Sep-20 10:57:38

Oh (grrh) my brain cell ?, I've done it again!

I really meant to say that the throw you've made is beautiful MellowYellow , I love it ?.

Gingster, I can't think of better throws for your two GS. Up the Hammers! Though we're not doing so well at the moment but I know where I put the blame for that...

Georgesgran Sun 20-Sep-20 10:54:25

Strumming? Strimming!

mancgirl Sun 20-Sep-20 10:52:46

lins1066 don't leave. I understand why you feel like that. I only post a few times a week now for similar reasons. Life is a bit hum drum at times and I wonder of people are interested in my family life, I feel like I waffle sometimes but I enjoy reading the thread. Also remember when lots were interested in the arrival of our lockdown baby who is now a bonny 3.5 months and the congratulations thereafter. It's a lovely threadsmile

Georgesgran Sun 20-Sep-20 10:52:14

Good morning from a damp Durham - a bit like a sea fret. Another early start with Council workmen cutting/strumming the grass verges before 8.30. Have had to cancel meeting a friend this morning as we’re in lockdown. I’m confused as Durham is less than 40 but guess we’re alongside areas with much higher rates. Going to meet DD2 later, as I have medical supplies for her, so that’s allowed?
I’ve not been on GN long but like to read the ‘good morning’ posts - makes me feel ‘normal’. Some are just muddling along, others (like me) are struggling through The Unknown. I’ve had lovely messages of support, so will continue. It would be lovely to hear from gilly etc to know she’s ok?

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

CherryCezzy Sun 20-Sep-20 10:45:27

Good morning everyone. Sun is shining and the sky is blue here in the Gower.

I too lead a very quiet life and often feel I have nothing to say because nothing much is happening in my life. I love this thread though and look forward to reading everyone's posts. Don't stop posting any of you. Take a break if you need to but please come back when you're ready ?

Talking of posters taking a break I've heard from dragonfly. She assured me that she will return to posting when she is ready to ?.

Please don't put pins in your head Pantglas ?. A number of years ago now I had video telemetry (EEG) a number of times, each time for many days. There were pins pricked into my scalp all over my head and wires (leads) everywhere leading into a big back box strapped to my waist ?. I looked like the Medusa ?. Don't do it unless you really need to Pantglas! ?

Slow cooking a small piece of brisket for dinner tonight ?. Must get a wiggle on shortly!

Happy Birthday NannyJan, have a lovely day ? ? ?

Please take care all and, especially in the light that so many posters are feeling that they have very little to say, be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

Kalu Sun 20-Sep-20 10:34:19

So pleased you have decided to return Beauregard. Welcome back. ?

Taichinan Sun 20-Sep-20 10:30:06

Just popped back in to say please don't leave, would-be leavers! I too live a very quiet life but I find posting on here is a grand exercise in finding the best in it and writing it down. Then I read it back and it doesn't sound nearly as dull as I sometimes feel it is, and it cheers me up when I'm down. ???