Gransnet forums

Chat

Still not met granddaughter

(83 Posts)
Newatthis Tue 22-Sep-20 13:44:18

I wrote during the lockdown when my daughter, who lives overseas, had a little girl in lockdown. The baby is now almost 5 months. I see my daughter 2 or 3 times a year and my other little grandchild but they live in a country that has banned UK nationals in (and vice versa - she and her family can't come here) because of COVID. It is now 9 months since I've seen my GC and daughter and I still haven't met our new GC. They are our only grandchildren. It's breaking my heart. I know we have SKYPE/ FACETIME and my daughter is very good keeping us updated with photos and videos but I'm longing for the cuddles. I know there are many of you out there like me. Please be kind in response.

Summerlove Thu 24-Sep-20 19:03:42

786wales

Please count your blessings... I have 3 GC who live 4 miles from me and my DIL didnt once get the little ones to video call me during lockdown. My son bought them over twice for 2 minutes whilst he collected letters that came to my house for him. I'm sitting alone and wish you well. I'd love to be able to get photos and videos..... please know how blessed you are.

Don’t just blame your DIL. Your son could have done video chats!

Pink44 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:17:50

I really feel for you as nothing can replace physical contact, but to be positive, we are so so lucky to have any means of contact and at least you can see your family. I was born in the war and my dad didn’t see me until I was 2! Try and think of positives and keep safe x

sparkynan Thu 24-Sep-20 07:55:05

I think it is really sad when you can't get to see your family, and I feel for all of you in that position.
If you want to fill a few hours a week helping out other young mums, maybe consider volunteering for :

PANDAS are here for you if you would like a little extra support❤️
Our FREE helpline: 11am-10pm from on 0808 1961 776 - if a volunteer isn’t available at that time, please leave your name and contact details and we will call you back within 12 hours, from a withheld number.
www.pandasfoundation.org.uk

It won't stop you missing your own loved ones, but it may help give you a sense of purpose and know your helping someone. A lot of young mums are very lonely especially if they don't have close family.

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 22:22:07

Oops, Tillybelle, you seem to have posted on the wrong thread.

This one is about how families are coping with being apart at the moment.

Perhaps GNHQ will move it for you or you could delete it and repost it on the appropriate thread.

Phil1 Wed 23-Sep-20 22:12:08

I know exactly how you feel . My son and family live in Florida and we haven’t seen them for over nine months. We FaceTime a lot and we have a lovely relationship with our 4 year old granddaughter and 2 year old grandson.
We just have to stay strong which is easier said than done , I know

Kryptonite Wed 23-Sep-20 21:28:03

I know it's not the same, but our little granddaughter has a lovely relationship with her grandpa, who she doesn't see often, through facetime. She knows him instantly and they have lovely, 'nonsense' chats. Babies today are born into the tech world and seem, I don't know how, to be able to make close bonds this way. Still hard for you, but not so long ago such miracles of science did not exist to keep us in touch. I hope and pray you get those hugs soon. Perhaps you could write letters telling your GC all about yourself and your life and how much you love them, and save them for when they're older. I agree with another comment to keep yourself busy and active and keep up your own interests. xx

MrsRochester Wed 23-Sep-20 20:28:54

Today 14:18 Lucca

Tillybelle, with respect why is this on a thread about far away families ?

I was wondering the same.

vickymeldrew Wed 23-Sep-20 19:07:12

There is an important aspect to the problem of children living abroad that I don’t think has been mentioned on this thread. Travel insurance. Those of us who have been shielded obviously have underlying medical problems. It is currently well nigh impossible to get travel insurance to cover Covid 19. Insurerers ‘decline to quote’. Add in existing medical conditions and you are looking at huge premiums or no insurance available.

dazz Wed 23-Sep-20 18:48:30

My heart goes out to you. My only grandchild lives in Liverpool and if I see her once a month Im exagerating. I live alone as well so its really hard. May God bless you soon

Caligrandma Wed 23-Sep-20 18:00:52

I would say that is how I feel. They don't get to know the joy of my love and patience. That also makes me grieve.
My son should know better.

Caligrandma Wed 23-Sep-20 17:58:58

Consider this. In the giant scheme of things, you have access through skype, photos and that's a blessing. The pain of not seeing your grandchild is a pretty large segment of us in this forum. It's beyond painful. For some of us, we aren't allowed to see them because of jealous daughter-in-laws. Not to negate your pain but just to let you know that many of us know exactly what youre feeling, and some! Do not lament to your daughter, it sounds like she is trying her best. Think back as to how you protected your babies. Its that same feeling. Instead, be joyful in their skype presence, make it pleasant as possible and something they look forward to . If it comes across as causing you pain, it becomes pain possibly for them and they will not be looking forward to those skype get togethers. There is nothing you can do. Nothing. It is out of your control. Therefore, make each moment as fun and delightful as it can be. We all know this pain. And its beyond words.

lovemabub Wed 23-Sep-20 16:57:29

I feel for you! My daughter's in Australia and I've never seen my seven month old granddaughter. It's even more painful since I lived with them for a year after my two year old grandson was born and miss him terribly. BUT I keep on reminding myself that I'm soooo lucky to have two beautiful, healthy grandchildren. We'll be with them soon enough. xxx

Dillonsgranma Wed 23-Sep-20 16:28:50

It is hard. I don’t know what the answer is except for Skype and FaceTime as much as you can so that grandchildren will remember you and get to know you.
I miss my grandsons so much and may not even get to see them at Christmas the way things are going. And they are only 200!miles away !
I really feel for you xxxxx. Stay strong xxxxx

TillyWhiz Wed 23-Sep-20 15:41:42

I do sympathise. So many of us have family overseas and no knowing when we will see them in person again. In the meantime, Skype, Whatsapp etc are all there for us to stay in touch and actually see each other. In the old days it would have been a letter wifh photographs.

red1 Wed 23-Sep-20 15:22:23

having family overseas is an ache that does not go away easily.
my son uprooted 3 years ago in a space of 2 months, i went through a grieving process and visited lots,this covid has enabled one visit this year.I have another grandson born one month ago,only seen photos so far.
Friends can say look at positives ,that they are healthy etc
but its difficult,i share your sadness

Tillybelle Wed 23-Sep-20 15:11:51

Lucca True! I tend to answer people's comments and worries and like to give some solid facts to encourage people to keep going, so it isn't out of the blue! I also hope that by showing the office for national statistics numbers it might give people comfort and something to hope for. The numbers do suggest we are heading in the right direction and the letter from the Doctors etc. I enclosed will back up what I was saying. So this might encourage people to hold on a bit longer and feel it is worth waiting to see their family and new grandchildren.

DotMH1901 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:56:20

It is hard for those grandparents who are separated from their GC because of Covid. The only thing to do is to try to keep in touch, we are so lucky to have things like Skype, Facetime, Zoom etc, I read some years ago about a family whose daughter went to the USA, this was between the Wars, and they could only keep in touch by letter and even that was just a couple of times a year. It must be frustrating not to be able to hold your new GC in your arms but, sadly, there is little to be done about it at the moment. There will be an end to this Covid outbreak eventually and hopefully all of us who are longing to be with GC, DD, DS and other family we haven't been able to hug for months will be free and safe to travel again.

juju17 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:42:59

I too have both my sons in Australia and a new grandson born in August. We can’t wait to be able to go to see them... Callistemon, where did you hear that the borders will be shut for another year? Think they’ll be shut at least for another 6 months ..... but hoping not another year!

Bluecat Wed 23-Sep-20 14:35:01

It's hard. We didn't see our daughter and her kids in the US for 6 years. We were going to visit but plans were disrupted - they moved house twice, then I was very ill - but thankfully they visited this January. We were going there in August but, of course, that didn't happen. I was particularly looking forward to seeing our eldest grandson, who couldn't come on the January trip. He was also hoping to visit us this summer with his girlfriend. God knows when there will be any travel to or from the US. Their virus situation is even worse than ours. I sympathise with your sadness.

There are restrictions everywhere, though. Our other daughter lives nearby but I have only risked one quick cuddle (gloved, masked and aproned) with her 3 daughters, since Covid-19 began. (It was a risk but I felt it was my last chance before the older ones went back to school.) Our youngest granddaughter is 6 months now. I said yesterday that I felt cheated out of her babyhood. My daughter said that it was worth it if it meant that we would be in her life for years to come.

That's what you have to focus on. We're restricted today so that we can be with our families in the future. Things will change. Sooner or later, we will be able to travel and to hold our grandkids again. In the meantime, concentrate on staying alive.

Lucca Wed 23-Sep-20 14:18:18

Tillybelle, with respect why is this on a thread about far away families ?

Tillybelle Wed 23-Sep-20 14:12:03

Signatures to the letter to PM from Doctors etc.

Tillybelle Wed 23-Sep-20 14:10:23

goose1964
just becomes one of those winter bugs that does the rounds.
That's right, a good way to think in my humble opinion.

In fact if we watch the Office for National Statistics official figures and compare death rates for different ages, diseases and against previous years to get an idea of what is to be expected, then you will find you will worry a lot less about the threat of Covid. The "cases" which the govt tell us have risen, are of course, the number of positive tests on the SARS-CoV-2 test and this test was not designed for diagnostic purposes anyway and carries a high number of false positives. The best measure is deaths per 100,000 usually. We have many diseases which are worse than Covid. Sadly dementia comes top, but there is a query as to whether many cases are misdiagnosed and are due to dehydration. In Care homes and geriatric institutions it was found that Staff were told to hold back fluids. This causes mental confusion. Keep drinking (not alcohol!) Grans! I think I have a screen shot somewhere.. I'll give it a try...
But we do have reason to be hopeful and I would gently urge you, if you notice over time that the official figures are not as bad as the government's predictions or actions would suggest, to ask your government/MP why some of the measures/numbers seem so severe when the official figures are not very concerning or why they are not paying attention to the true dangerous diseases. Anyway, monitoring the data should help make you feel more positive. Expect a fluctuation upwards for the time of year.

I'll also try and attach the Scientists and Doctors letter of concern about the Govt's actions to the Prime Minister... I have to get it from another device so fingers crossed... I'll have to put some signatures on another post. Sorry, I may not have copied them all.

InOzMIL Wed 23-Sep-20 14:09:54

Hey I’m sorry
I don’t usually post to sites like this, but joined & hoped this group would be supportive.
I have daughter living permanently in UK no children yet, but when she does, I’ll be Skype nana too.
Just wanted to say I’m feeling for you.

GreenGran78 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:52:24

I’m grateful that my daughter’s Aussie wedding, last November, wasn’t disrupted. All the family attended, and we caught up with all three of my children who live over there, and their friends and relations. It was especially good to see, and hug, my little GD who is now 3, and my pregnant DIL. Their baby boy arrived in May, so my return trip for the birth was cancelled, of course. Thank heavens that we all met up when we did. I’m sad that I haven’t had the chance for a cuddle with my new GS though. All the family are working overtime to keep in touch online with chats, videos, messages and photos.
My main target, right now, is to stay as fit and healthy as possible. At 81 I realise that time is ticking by, but I’m determined to be on the starting blocks for a flight as soon as we are allowed. Even if they double the price it won’t stop me! I feel so sorry for those of you who can’t afford to travel to see your loved ones, and for anyone who’s health won’t allow it. It must be heartbreaking for you.

Whatdayisit Wed 23-Sep-20 13:44:03

I do feel for all who are seperated from families. My Grandparents had a granchild in OZ from 1973 back then the only way of keeping in touch was the blue airmail sheets as neither wrre on the phone. I remember my gran getting a phone put in in 1980 but calls cost a fortune!
We are very lucky today with Skype etc and cheaper calls and flights. Maybe you could keep a diary for them to receive as a departing gift so they know more about you and how you feel about them.
Hugs to everyone.