Gransnet forums

Chat

A very nasty surprise - be ready if it happens to you

(104 Posts)
Applegran Wed 23-Sep-20 12:20:06

One evening I had a phone call. On my phone it said "Private caller" - not unusual, and I answered. It was a man's voice and he said some truly horrible and threatening things - it was such a surprise that I was both shocked and confused. I rang off. He rang again several times and I answered, foolishly thinking it might be family calling. In these calls he said among other things that he could see me in my kitchen. No he couldn't - I was in the hall, but if it had been a lucky guess on his part, it would have made it even more scary for me. Finally I didn't pick up the phone and the calls stopped. I have reported this to the police and my phone provider is on the case to try to trace the caller. This has never happened to me before - or since, and I guess it is very rare and the caller picks random numbers to ring, so I think it very unlikely that many - or any - Gransnetters reading this will have this happen to them. But it could happen to someone and I wanted to warn you in advance - the caller doesn't know who you are, or where you are and can cause you no harm. Later on line I got this advice - if you get a threatening phone call, put the phone down and walk away for several minutes and then ring off. The caller won't want that to happen again and is far less likely to call you again. I hope this never happens to you - and it probably won't! But in the unlikely event that you do get a call like this, I hope this helps.

welbeck Tue 29-Sep-20 00:55:45

the BT Call Guardian has stopped all this.
can truly recommend.

Shropshirelass Mon 28-Sep-20 09:27:13

When my parents were in their very late 80's they had a phone call from a man with a foreign accent telling them that they were calling round to repossess the car, amongst other things. Fortunately my parents were very sharp minded and called the police straightaway. The police were there within half an hour. It did un-nerve my parents but there were no more phone calls.

Daddima Sat 26-Sep-20 11:40:01

Pepine

I worked with a terribly proper spinster some years ago. She had a phone call where the caller suggestively asked her if she knew what he was holding in his hand to which she replied ‘if it’s just the one hand I’m not interested’ and out the phone down. He didn’t call back. I only wish I could think of a put down as fast!

Outstanding!

Forestflame Fri 25-Sep-20 00:50:29

Never give your number out when answering calls. If the caller has just dialled a random number he is less likely to ring you again as he is not so likely to remember it.

glammagran Thu 24-Sep-20 23:23:29

Decades ago when I lived with my mother and sister we got a few very “explicit” calls. I soon recognised the caller as the manager of our local off licence and I told him so. Didn’t happen again nor did we revisit his off licence again.

GreenGran78 Thu 24-Sep-20 21:50:43

H1954 perhaps someone he had met gave him a wrong phone number, which happened to be yours, because they didn’t want to see him again. Quite understandable if he was such an unpleasant character

dazz Thu 24-Sep-20 20:20:58

What an utter pig ? He would probably be more scared of you if you shouted a rude threat. So sorry to hear oy went throught this

Grandmama Thu 24-Sep-20 19:37:18

Way back when I was single, before I met DH (and living in the house DH and I live in now) I found one morning what looked like two small cylinders - the sort 35 mm films came in - that had been pushed through the front hedge into the garden. I picked them up and they were photos that had curled up, each was a picture of male genitalia.

Not long after this I went out early one Sunday morning in the car that had been parked all night on the front drive. When I came back and drove into the drive I noticed a sheet of A4 paper. Not sure if it had been there all night and I hadn't noticed it when I backed the car out.
There was handwriting on both sides, in various colours and upper case and lower case letters of a sexual nature. There was a phone number, I did a quick look on the first few pages of the phone book and amazingly found it - it was quite near here. I contacted the police, the police came round and rang the number but no reply.

There was a further incident, can't remember now what it was as I'm going back to the 1970s but I remember going round to the police station to report it. After that, nothing further happened but it was very scary for me, living alone.

NannyC1 Thu 24-Sep-20 18:48:56

Franbern

It is a horrible thing to happen and can be quite frightening if living alone.
Back in the past, these sort of calls, or just plain dirty ones, was far more common, as no caller number came up.

There are a couple of ways of dealing with this sort of thing. Firstly, let all incoming calls go to answerphone, then you can decide if you want to talk to whoever is calling.

Otherwise have some of your own fun with them. I would never do anything cruel and dangerous, like blowing a whistle down the phone, but my favourite withe dirty callers was to say EXTREMELY LOUDLY ' SORRY, I HAVE LOST MY HEARING AIDS AND CANNOT HEAR YOU, PLEASE SPEAK VERY LOUDLY'.
Then however, loudly they spoke I would interrupt to say still could not hear and understand them, could they please shout louder. You will be pleasantly surprised as to how quickly they ring off and never bother to ring back!!!

franbern
Never do anything "cruel and dangerous* as blowing a whistle down the phone! Cruel and dangerous to who? The pest who has the nerve to be cruel by making dirty threatening calls?
Yes I feel really sorry for them. Not!

pengwen Thu 24-Sep-20 18:43:13

There was a phone box over the road to our house.On the way to my friends house over the road it rang,I answered it.It was an extremely nasty call,and he said he would " get me ".I remember being extremely distressed and dad running over,he had seen me getting upset and grabbed the phone.The caller must have ring off.Both sets of parents(mine and my friends) watched whichever child was going to one or from whichever home at that time.
I was 12.

Kryptonite Thu 24-Sep-20 18:23:14

It's horrible. I had a call a week ago, private number, and I broke my own rules about answering such numbers at all. The man said "is that the right number for Leo", I said "no", he said, "wrong number". He then rang again, then a third time. I declined the calls and blocked the number. Really scared me. The number is in my call history.

MadeInYorkshire Thu 24-Sep-20 18:08:29

Same happened to my Mum many years ago, she was very dishy, and some man kept calling and saying he could see her, think they called the Police in the end? It certainly put the wind up her when she was alone in the house during the day. I will ask her about what happened in the end come to think of it!

Lollypolly Thu 24-Sep-20 17:38:43

Many many years ago I did a housewives shift (that's what it was called) in directory enquiries when it was free. After 11 pm we had all manner of crackpot calls however these were less threatening because any on the staff could have answered so it wasn't personal. We could keep their line open in those days which did act as a bit of a deterrent. Not a nice world we live in !

Pepine Thu 24-Sep-20 17:05:54

I worked with a terribly proper spinster some years ago. She had a phone call where the caller suggestively asked her if she knew what he was holding in his hand to which she replied ‘if it’s just the one hand I’m not interested’ and out the phone down. He didn’t call back. I only wish I could think of a put down as fast!

duju Thu 24-Sep-20 15:32:50

A great many years ago when I was a child in the 60’s, I remember watching a film (so not sure if it’s dramatic license), where the victim of a dirty phone call rapped an ordinary dining fork hard on the table so that the tines vibrated. She then held the still vibrating tines to the mouthpiece of the phone. In the film this appeared to have the effect of not being pleasant to the callers ears.
I’ve not since found out if what I’ve described would work in real life, and if it did, would it be detrimental to the callers hearing. Or if it was all drama.
Just a thought.

collius Thu 24-Sep-20 15:06:29

I had a lot of nasty calls about thirty years ago, even one from a woman! In those days I had a number which ran down in sequence which is the only explanation why I had so many. Of course in those days I didn’t have number recognition which is so useful now. I learned never to give my name or number when answering. Also the police said these sick people do nt know where you live which was reassuring. I found the best way to deal with them was to ask them to hold on and they would then ring off terrified of being traced. Don’t let these sickos win by letting them upset you. They’re just very sad lonely people and to be pitied.

Greciangirl Thu 24-Sep-20 15:02:44

Put the phone down right away and do not engage them.

Tillybelle Thu 24-Sep-20 14:36:55

Dear Applegran
Just to say how sorry I am.
I heard a snatch of Crimewatch this morning but had to go just as they were saying how the current situation is producing a lot of crime especially geared towards us being at home or internet crime.
I do hope you will soon feel better and much stronger. Well done for coping so well. It is very thoughtful of you to tell us so we may be prepared. Thank you.

Unigran4 Thu 24-Sep-20 14:23:56

I don't mean the reading was scary - I meant the incident!

Unigran4 Thu 24-Sep-20 14:22:15

Back in the mid-70s I had a phone call at about 9am when a man asked me if I knew where my children (aged 5 and 7) were. "At school" I said. "No, they're not, they're here with me!" I didn't want to put the phone down before I had made sure he was lying. "Where are you?" I asked. "In Wimbledon." he replied. (That's 25 miles from me and I had dropped them off at their respective schools only 20 minutes earlier). But I still wanted to be sure he hadn't got them, so I said "Can I speak to one of them, they will be frightened." To which he replied, "No, I have tied their knickers round their mouths to keep them quiet." Then I KNEW he hadn't got them, there's no way the little one's knickers would have gone round her head - she was still wearing Age 3 size!

I did ring both schools after I had given him a mouthful and cut him off. The Junior School brought my daughter to the phone for me to deliver a made up message to her (so as not to frighten her with the truth) and the Infant School brought my youngest into the headmisstress' office on the pretext of testing her reading within my earshot. Scary!

Sadgrandma Thu 24-Sep-20 14:22:01

Keep a whistle by the phone and blow it in his ear if he calls again, that should put him off!

fluttERBY123 Thu 24-Sep-20 14:09:17

What a good idea to leave them talking to.thin.air. Dh nearly got caught by the "fraud at your bank" scam. He found out in time what was happening. When they called back to.see if he had the cash for them to collect he said Not yet, I'm making enquiries, to which the man replied Ok we'll come round and rob you then. A horrible shock. Dh is the man most unlikely to.ever be taken in and even he was almost caught. It is horrible for your self esteem.

Lancslass1 Thu 24-Sep-20 13:51:41

I once had a horrible "dirty" phone call but the awful thing was he called me by my first name.
Another time a woman 'phoned me to say that she knew I was having an affair with her husband because she had found a piece of paper with my first name and telephone number in his pocket .
She said she was phoning me to warn me what a horrible person he was but I had never even heard of him.

Newatthis Thu 24-Sep-20 13:48:49

I was a telephone operator in the 70's (dial 100/999) and we were trained to say nothing and put the phone down. If the phone goes again ignore it. Nutters soon get fed up with this but thrive on people's fear.

Kimi64 Thu 24-Sep-20 13:35:24

I was advised years ago when I had a disturbing call to wait for the person to speak first .If it's a genuine friend or family member they would say hello quite quickly. I was always very bright and friendly when answering and it's horrible that we have to change our habits but it's important to keep safe.