Gransnet forums

Chat

Kanneh-Masons (cellist family)

(38 Posts)
Riversidegirl Fri 25-Sep-20 11:44:10

Is anyone reading the book "House of Music"? I think the family are lovely, and they live not far from me. But I'm concerned that all the things that happened to Kadie (the Mum) might be giving an exaggerated impression. I've no reason to believe they are not true, but......

Riversidegirl Thu 01-Oct-20 21:14:13

midgey

I think racism is alive and kicking in this country still!

Not in all of this country.

Riversidegirl Thu 01-Oct-20 21:11:37

The family went to a very ordinary primary school in Nottingham (although it has always been good on helping children understand music) and then on to a very good secondary school. The older ones went to London to the Royal Academy on the 5am train every Saturday. It does not cost that much if you leave at 5am! Some did have private lessons I believe. As far as I know they all seem to have great fun, and are "ordinary" except for their music and the ability to work at it. My original post was raising my concerns that Mum's life seemed over-dramatised and might put people off reading the whole book, which would be sad.

Luckygirl Tue 29-Sep-20 17:03:53

It is very hard to define and quantify that spark that makes a competent player a true musician. But not hard to spot when it happens!

M0nica Tue 29-Sep-20 16:19:59

Callisteon technical skill is not enough it is merely the scaffolding that supports the glory that is interpretation. And I do not think that anybody could practice for hours and become technically skilled. I think, even acquiring the technical skill, let alone the determination to put in the (many) hours practicing is limited to those sufficiently gifted.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Sep-20 13:10:29

The black composers documentary was splendid. I was already very much aware of Florence Price from my investigations into women composers. I had a feeling that classical music was a revelation to Lenny H from his reactions! - it was lovely to see him enthusing about it.

Ch Chi is about to become a ClassicFM presenter.

varian Mon 28-Sep-20 12:36:57

The Kanneh Mason house in lockdown

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000kycj/imagine-2020-this-house-is-full-of-music

biba70 Mon 28-Sep-20 12:22:04

Did you watch the amazing documentary last night with Lenny Henry, on black musicians and composers in British history. Very eye opening and moving- and made me think those comments by the mother were NOT exagerated.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Sep-20 12:17:05

They certainly are!

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 09:55:40

Sheku won YMOTY not just because of his technical skill but because of his ability to interpret and communicate the music.

That's my point - someone could practise and practise until they are technically perfect but he, and as far as we know, his siblings, are gifted.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Sep-20 09:47:35

Riverwalk - thank you for that info!

Riverwalk Mon 28-Sep-20 08:06:54

I am getting desperate to go to a live orchestral concert again - I wonder when this will happen

Lucky you probably already know but Wigmore Hall are holding live daily concerts with the lunchtimes ones broadcast on Radio 3.

You can also watch it live-streamed, free, on the WH website. At least you can see actual musicians in the flesh playing live, although you're not there in person.

Esspee Mon 28-Sep-20 07:43:15

Wonderfully talented family and a joy to listen. Somehow Sheku manages to make his instrument speak.

Elrel Mon 28-Sep-20 02:01:03

I love their music and enjoyed a tv programme which included them all, plus instruments, going off to the mountains for a family holiday. The children’s interactions With each other, and with their parents, appeared refreshingly normal.
I could listen to Sheku’s cello in rapture for hours.

merlotgran Sun 27-Sep-20 23:30:04

I agree with you Lucky. It's a shame when all these 'isms' are eagerly sought out by some who cannot wait to pounce.

I don't see any harm in having an an opinion which actually might be ill informed but is harmless in its intention.

I hope you are able to resume your musical life soon. You had to step back during your OH's illness and then came Covid...

Chin up! All things must pass.

Luckygirl Sun 27-Sep-20 23:27:57

Th OP is talking about the book, which I have not read.

My interest is in their extraordinary talent. What else matters?

Dog whistles?

suziewoozie Sun 27-Sep-20 23:21:55

You are missing something Lucky . Read the OP again. Read some of the other posts. Dog whistles.

Luckygirl Sun 27-Sep-20 23:18:02

This thread covers almost every 'ism' there is sexism, racism, inverted snobbery, resentment of children with intellectual gifts.

Am I missing something here? I thought the thread was celebrating these highly talented young people.

It is intriguing that a whole group of siblings should have such outstanding talent in the same sphere. I remember hearing an interview with their mother who said that she encouraged them all to try and stick with their instruments until Grade 8, so they would have "the basics"! In my view Grade 8 is a bit more than the basics!

What stands out among these siblings is not just their talent (and their youth of course) but their true musicianship - Sheku won YMOTY not just because of his technical skill but because of his ability to interpret and communicate the music. I am hoping that he does not become too much of a phenomenon that he is pulled down routes that might not be right for him, just so that record producers and publishers can get their share of him.

The presence of these young people lifts the heart. In fact the whole YMOTY lifts my heart every two years. In the main the performers on the programme seem to love their music making and do not seem hot-housed against their will. It gives me hope for the future.

I am getting desperate to go to a live orchestral concert again - I wonder when this will happen.......

Callistemon Sun 27-Sep-20 22:48:25

It's unusual for all children in a large family to be so gifted.
Even hard work doesn't mean that they would all succeed at one thing eg music, sport, art, dance etc .

Even having dedicated parents doesn't always mean they will be brilliant. They must all have an inherited gene.

M0nica Sun 27-Sep-20 21:47:02

In any family with an over riding interest shared by parents and children alike, those children will do better in that interest than if they come from a family where the rest of the family do not share that interest.

Look at all those young footballers, skaters, gymnasts, swimmers, divers, tennis players etc who do so well because their parents devote their lives to encouraging their children, Judy Murray, Tom Daly's Dad, Lewis Hamilton's father.Do you hear the same complaints about these children and their parents that you get when someone has a child who is a gifted musician or mathematician or artist of any kind. Of course you don't, or very rarely.

This thread covers almost every 'ism' there is sexism, racism, inverted snobbery, resentment of children with intellectual gifts. Kanu Shaku-Mason won Young Musician of the year, not just for technical brilliance, but interpretation as well. I look forward to hearing more of all the family and listening to the music that this gifted family will give to the world.

varian Sun 27-Sep-20 19:45:05

The Kanneh-Masons are quite an extraordinary family. When the oldest six appeared on BGT Simon Cowell said "you are probably the most talented family in the world" and he was probably right.

Neither of the parents were musicians but both were successful professional people. Stuart working in hotel management and Kadiatu, who has a PhD, as a university lecturer.

When Isata, their oldest child came first in England in grade 8 piano, they realised that she "must be quite good". One by one all the children were encouraged to learn one or more musical instrument. Sheku won "Young Musician of the Year" and is now a leading cellist. His brother Braimah is a violinist.

The children attended state schools in Nottingham so they did not have the benefit of small class teaching in a private school.

What is so lovely is the shared enjoyment of classical music. Listen to them play together.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QOkSocy6Hk

harrigran Sun 27-Sep-20 18:57:41

My DD started playing the piano on her sixth birthday and was an exceptional pianist but there was no way that we could get her extra lessons at the Royal academy.
Goodness all those children travelling from Nottingham to London on a weekend for lessons, must have been crippling financially unless they had sponsors.

Grandma70s Sun 27-Sep-20 18:26:50

Perhaps ‘plenty of other children’ was a bit of an exaggeration, but there are certainly some. Some of the other finalists in the BBC Young Musician were examples.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Sep-20 18:24:47

Oh okay. No racism now.

Grandma70s Sun 27-Sep-20 18:24:03

It doesn’t strike me as particularly nasty. Perhaps I’m missing something.

The Royal Academy of Music doesn’t do full-time academic education as the Royal Ballet School does. It’s music lessons only. I have an idea the Kanneh-Masons went on Saturdays, not easy from Nottingham. My sister-in-law went there (piano and oboe), but she lived in London so it was easier for her.

Mamie Sun 27-Sep-20 18:17:02

I don't think there are "plenty of other children" as talented as they are. I haven't read the book, but I watched the prom concert with Sheku and Isata. Quite extraordinary.