Gransnet forums

Chat

School houses?

(95 Posts)
Ellianne Sat 26-Sep-20 17:14:16

I've enjoyed Jane10's thread on school mottos so much that I thought I'd ask if anyone can remember their school houses? Ours were Faraday, Scott, Nightingale and Curie. Quite a mixed bag, but seeing as it was a mixed school 2 of each gender was good.

watermeadow Mon 28-Sep-20 18:29:52

Ours were notable women and I was in Gaskell. I’d never heard of her and never read her books until I was grown up. Cranford is one of my favourite books now.

LullyDully Sun 27-Sep-20 20:40:43

We had trees too. I was in Chestnuts ( will conquer)

TrendyNannie6 Sun 27-Sep-20 17:48:40

Sexy Saxons,(Blue) Virginal Vikings(Red) Dirty Danes (Yellow) and Naughty Norman’s (Green) I was a Dirty Dane! I promise I didn’t make it up either ?

kittylester Sun 27-Sep-20 17:38:39

Not a lot to tell!! We currently live in a converted village Board School. People keep calling it a school house but I dont like that description.

Ours leaks and a sil and a dil started school here. And we love it!!

Alishka Sun 27-Sep-20 17:35:37

kittylester

I keep coming to the thread wanting to give my experiences of living in a converted school house.

Do tell!

Alishka Sun 27-Sep-20 17:34:39

Hanover, light blue colours. We had to sew our House colours onto our sashes and our blazers. Like someone upthread, all the School finished at 1.00pm on Thursday. God Save our Royal Founder who thought of that wheezegrin

NfkDumpling Sun 27-Sep-20 16:10:00

(And that's why I have vari-focals Lemon. So I don't loose them.)

NfkDumpling Sun 27-Sep-20 16:09:05

My primary schools were too small to have houses. The sec mod was only a couple of years old when I started there. Four houses - Yare, Bure, Wensum and Waveney. The main broads rivers. I was in Bure (blue).

Bellasnana Sun 27-Sep-20 14:50:41

Ours were Westminster, Sandford, Thompson and Hastings.

Rainwashed Sun 27-Sep-20 14:40:36

Primary School:Wandle (yellow); Clock(red), Meads(blue), Cricketers (green).
Secondary School: Tamworth (yellow), Wandle (red), Ravensbury (blue), Cranmer ( green).

I was in clock at Primary and Wandle at Secondary, so always in red!

The house names were all places/ things in the local area. ( Surrey/ South London borders).

Poppyred Sun 27-Sep-20 14:08:19

Mine was Cannington..I can’t remember the others.......

kittylester Sun 27-Sep-20 13:59:19

I keep coming to the thread wanting to give my experiences of living in a converted school house.

HAZBEEN Sun 27-Sep-20 12:48:28

Ours were Lambton(Yellow), Lumley (Red) and Ravensworth (Blue). I was in Ravensworth. In the summer our school dresses were gingham in the colour of our respective houses.

MrsEggy Sun 27-Sep-20 09:55:40

Elrel, I was at KEHS in Edgbaston from 1948 to 1953. I was in Bordeaux.

Witzend Sun 27-Sep-20 09:51:02

Can only remember three of four, and not mine! V annoying. Though it’ll probably come to me. Greswolde, Leewode and Ulverley

The main building (large house) of ours (a grammar) had been painted by Constable and more than once we had descendants of the original family coming from America for a look around.
As a supposedly responsible 6th former I was once detailed to do the honours, inc. telling them about the ghost said to haunt the house, having as a presumably drunken young man fallen over the gallery railing to his death.

harrigran Sun 27-Sep-20 09:48:31

I went to an all girls school and houses were
Nightingale
Darling
Bronte
Fry and this is the one I was in

Daddima Sun 27-Sep-20 09:43:40

Cambria, Grampia, Strathclyde, and Whithorn. I think they changed them when they moved to the new school.

As far as I can see there is only one instance on this post where two people may have gone to the same school, or could it be you’ve seen someone post about your school, but you’re keeping quiet?

Ellianne Sun 27-Sep-20 09:35:59

Jaffacake grin

Jaffacake2 Sun 27-Sep-20 09:32:21

My secondary had planets for house names. Think there were 6, unfortunately for a year I was in Uranus till headmistress decided there was too much " vulgarity " being spoken and changed it to Chronos it's other name !

chicken Sun 27-Sep-20 09:25:37

Ours were named after school governors-----Tulk (blue), Rickman (red), Rollitt (yellow) and Brunner (green).I was in Brunner

Spice101 Sun 27-Sep-20 07:05:06

I used my "phone a friend" lifeline as it was driving me mad. Felt much better after doing so as she could not remember them all. However as soon as she mentioned the first one the others came back to me. They were all Australian Olympic athletes
Cuthbert, Landy, Marshall and Strickland.

Now I can rest easy.

J52 Sun 27-Sep-20 06:24:55

I went to a girls school founded in the 17th Century. Our houses reflected the titles of the original founders.
They were, Devonshire(green), Campbell (Yellow), Carnaby (Blue) and Westminster (red).
We were proud and competitive at winning house points, to get awarded the shield at the end of the year.

BBbevan Sun 27-Sep-20 05:36:33

Really sorry Pantglas

BBbevan Sun 27-Sep-20 05:35:27

Panthers we know the area well
My grandparents married in Llanrwst and my mother was born in Eglwysbach. We visit the Conwy valley a great deal. Not this year though.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Sep-20 04:00:23

The Catholic school I work in had MacCauley, Baghitta, Teresa, John Paul and Romero.
They scrapped them last year. It was very controversial.