Gransnet forums

Chat

Extravagant purchase

(95 Posts)
Roses Sun 27-Sep-20 10:31:20

Do you have something that you buy even though it expensive but you can justify it for whatever the reason
Mine is silk pillowcases which I started buying years ago when the menopause kicked in
They are so cool I couldn't go back to cotton ones now

What's yours?

Yammy Sat 15-Jan-22 17:31:06

I got a very expensive handbag for a lockdown big birthday and I have never had the chance to use it.
I buy Expensive Shampoo for my new pepper and salt hair and splash out on a new Chanel lipstick each year.

crazyH Sat 15-Jan-22 17:13:18

My kids are always asking me to treat myself. I would love to fly Business Class somewhere, but where? And with who? My travelling companions won’t spend the money, even though they’ve got more than me. And I don’t like travelling alone. Children will have better things to spend their money on. They have young families. And I can’t afford to pay for myself and 3 families. So my dream will have to be just that - a dream ?

Grandmagrim Sat 15-Jan-22 16:54:18

My extravagance last year was to buy myself a house plant. This year I hoped to splash out on getting a plumber to change drippy bath taps but can’t get one for love nor money so it’s back to diy for me again.

Daisend1 Sat 15-Jan-22 15:51:24

Waiting for better weather as much to be done garden wise Most expensive investment, a ride on mower. It better
be worth it.

Aveline Sat 15-Jan-22 15:15:18

I've just thrown caution to the wind and booked a cruise from Dubai to Singapore next November!! Am feeling such a devil. I saw it advertised in the newspaper and it's going to all the places I want to see. Am off for a lie down to recover from the excitement.

BlueSapphire Sat 15-Jan-22 00:23:27

My extravagance, or was before Covid, was flying business class. Hoping to fly to Australia when it's safe to do so to visit relatives, and will definitely fly business.

My most recent extravagance was a new watch, to replace the vintage Omega that DH bought me for Christmas 1969 - it gave up the ghost last year after 50 years, so I treated myself to a new one before Christmas.

Cabbie21 Fri 14-Jan-22 23:28:09

I treated myself to a ring( diamond and sapphire) when the shops reopened after the first lockdown. Not like me, to spend money on myself, but we didn't go on holiday in 2020.

There is a choral summer school I would like to go on, but it is very expensive in my opinion, and I am not sure it is value for money. I think I’d rather spend the money on a short break for our wedding anniversary in September.

AuntieEleanorsCat Fri 14-Jan-22 22:52:09

Silk pillow case and a FOREO Bear for my wrinkles. Have seen a huge difference since 2019 so, am trying it ( but not expecting miracles).

Pammie1 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:41:46

Not sure if it’s an extravagance but I’ve always loved luxury bedding. I always go for the best quality I can afford, with high thread counts - Sheridan, Bedeck, Christy and Sanderson are some of my favourite brands. Having said that, I don’t buy that often, as the quality means they last longer.

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 15:37:11

Witzend Check the price first, it has doubled in a year and gome from expensive, but I am worth it smile and it is only one bottle a year, to HOW MUCH!!!!*^$)!!&£$!!!!!!!

Witzend Fri 14-Jan-22 13:42:35

MOnica, I love any lily of the valley scent - you have made me lust after some Diorissimo! Funnily enough my birthday is coming up very soon - I foresee some very strong hints to dh….

Kali2 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:31:16

I have never been a big spender. In recent years I have only bought 2 expensive things. A top of the range Opticron pair of binoculars I use all the time and take everywhere with me. To watch wildlife and birds, but also to see detail in architectural buildings. And a large Bacchantes Lalique vase from their Museum- to replace the one 'stolen' by an aunt when my grand-mother died, and sold for a very large sum of money. Mine if of course not an original by René Lalique! (the only 2 I know of are in the V&A and the Lalique Museum- and beyond price.).

Nightsky2 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:25:49

Yesterday I ordered a new cashmere jumper although I already have 2 unworn ones. I blame it on this very cold spell we’re having. The sales are on and some very good purchases to be made with jumpers reduced by 50%. Go on treat yourselves.

Lincslass Fri 14-Jan-22 08:52:14

watermeadow

I am trying to justify spending £200 on something which I’ve managed without for over a year. It’s a CD/radio, because I have nothing to play my very much loved classical CDs and no radio in the kitchen so I use my iPad there.
If I buy what I want then I can use it in the sitting room and put old radio in the kitchen. I have no TV and listen to the radio a lot.
Please tell me I should buy this expensive luxury for myself.

You most definitely should treat yourself, why wouldn’t you, to enjoy something you will get great use from.

snowberryZ Fri 14-Jan-22 08:44:23

Roses

Do you have something that you buy even though it expensive but you can justify it for whatever the reason
Mine is silk pillowcases which I started buying years ago when the menopause kicked in
They are so cool I couldn't go back to cotton ones now

What's yours?

I tried silk pillowcase and found it irritated my skin. I'm a side sleeper and it made my skin sweaty.
So it was an expensive mistake.
I now use very soft, (stillexpensive) high quality cotton pillowcases and find them soft and cool on my face.

Sago Fri 14-Jan-22 08:03:21

Cashmere jumpers, I buy 1 a year.
I tend to buy quality and look after things, I threw out a pair of Chelsea boots last week that were 15 years old and had been resoled twice!
My Aigle wellies cost over £100 but are nearly 20 years old and still going strong.
I also have a pair of NYDJ that are still regularly worn, they are 15 years old.

Sloegin Thu 13-Jan-22 22:34:47

I revamped my nightwear during first lockdown. Bought lovely comfortable but expensive Jersey nightdresses from Bonsoir and a warm dressing gown from David Napier. We'll worth the money.

Deedaa Thu 13-Jan-22 21:24:08

I'm so pleased you finally got the handbag Georgesgran Enjoy!!

I recently bought a £50 jar of L'Occitane face cream. I've tried samples of it in the past and it really does reduce lines. No one else is likely to notice any difference but who cares? This is for me.

Georgesgran Thu 13-Jan-22 21:12:16

I’ve just read the post I put on this thread at the end of 2020.
I was 70 in March 21, only days after DH died, but my DDs clubbed together and bought me the handbag I’d been lusting after for years.

GagaJo Thu 13-Jan-22 20:31:39

Flew business class last time. Some Number 7 face serum. That's about it. I'm not lavish.

LtEve Thu 13-Jan-22 20:27:53

A very expensive hotel stay in a couple of weeks for DH, DD and me. It’s near Hexham and it’s for my birthday and DDs 30th, we’ve been before but DD has always wanted to go. The hotel is lovely, staff are really friendly and it’s not in the least bit stuffy. We will all enjoy ourselves.

V3ra Thu 13-Jan-22 19:50:25

Some years ago I went to a talk by a fashion stylist who said if you buy an expensive garment, but wear it a lot, think of it as the "cost per wear." So an expensive, good quality coat or pair of boots or shoes, that you wear for years, are a good buy.

Elizabeth27 Thu 13-Jan-22 18:43:04

You can’t win on here, if you start a thread that has already been done it is pointed out, usually abruptly, that there is already one. Resurect an old one that is of interest to those that haven’t seen it and it is complained about.

I have started buying more expensive clothes that fit well and will last instead of spending on cheaper clothes that are not quite right, I wear the expensive clothes instead of saving them for who knows what.

Aveline Thu 13-Jan-22 17:38:57

It's holidays for us too. Once I've got over the cost I always enjoy them. I appreciate them all the more since Covid. Lovely memories. Hope to make some more. The family encourage us to do it while we're fit and well enough to get the most out of our travels.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 13-Jan-22 16:47:03

Interesting even if it is an old thread. I find it difficult to justify spending much money on myself. I rely on Christmas and birthdays for perfume and nice soap. Very rarely buy clothes. I do enjoy buying plants for the garden and bird food though and I spend a lot on my dog, nice food and medication.