Gransnet forums

Chat

Silver line - any experience?

(18 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 28-Sep-20 16:44:52

Hello all
Does anyone have any experience of
Esther Rantzen's Silver line?
I'm a teacher currently on long time sick leave.
I'm feeling a bit useless at the moment and am thinking of volunteering opportunities.
I'm housebound, so it needs to be telephone based.
Any thoughts welcome.
Thank you x

silverlining48 Mon 28-Sep-20 17:09:14

I don’t have personal experience of silverline but would think it is good idea especially in these times of social isolation. You can only give it a try.
Ps I was on long term sickness too so understand how you might be feeling. Good luck.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Sep-20 17:25:45

Could you not do on-line teaching? I would have thought that would be very much needed.

The government promised catch-up summer schools which didn't materialise so I'm sure there are many children in need.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Sep-20 17:27:53

Sorry meant to say, not that older people don't need your help but right now I think children are getting a very raw deal.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 17:29:42

One of my friends volunteers as a "befriender" with them. She has 2 people that she maintains distance friendships with. One, who is profoundly deaf and so cannot phone, she writes to once a month and the other she phones twice a month, usually a Sunday evening. She said that it's quite difficult to think of things to write about because subject matter mustn't be political, religious or on any personal level. So that just leaves the garden and the weather! And as they don't write back, she has no way of knowing if they're interested in what she writes about or not.

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Sep-20 17:32:39

Unfortunately my school has said that I am unable to work from home.
I work for a multi academy trust.
I'm primary trained, but work in secondary with SEN children.
They are in denial that some kids need to work from home.
The whole thing is a mess.

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Sep-20 17:37:07

Hi Chewy
That sounds familiar.
I remember my mom saying that someone of her acquaintance was barred from the Samaritans.
I'm very apolitcal.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Sep-20 17:43:40

I wasn't suggesting that you do professional on-line teaching - that would be impertinent as you said you're on sick leave.

I was more thinking that you could teach children in a voluntary capacity, rather than volunteer with Silverline.

As you're a teacher, not a social worker for older people, if you get my drift!

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Sep-20 18:27:13

Thank you River walk , I do understand.
Absolutely everything is so difficult at the moment!

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Sep-20 18:30:50

Thank you silver lining.
I agree, every connection is worth while.

rascal Mon 28-Sep-20 18:35:27

I'm a telephone volunteer with Silver Line and Age uk. I'm typing letters too, to an elderly person through Age uk who is in hospital to try to cheer them up. It's a great idea to volunteer to try to give the elderly something to look forward to. I find that when they answer their phone they sound down but by the end of the call they sound happier. So any Grans who are thinking about volunteering go ahead it's good to try to help someone. smile

Marydoll Mon 28-Sep-20 18:43:38

FannyCornforth, I was on long term sick leave from my teaching job, before I had to retire on ill health grounds. The sick pay scheme conditions mean you can't really do any work at all, even voluntary.

It's a pity, as you obviously have a lot to offer.

J52 Mon 28-Sep-20 18:54:55

I volunteered as a telephone friend for years. Last year Silverline was taken over by Age UK. I was between friends and was told the new phone call times were 8.30 am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday. I always made my call at the weekend, often the loneliest time. When I questioned this I was told it was so that administration and Social Services were available in case there was a problem. Silverline always had a person available for problems.
My current telephone friend was in care so I had to commit to the new arrangements. I had previously been told that the pen friend arrangement was also closed. Such a shame.
I would add that the training and checks on suitability and safety take some time.

Georgesgran Mon 28-Sep-20 22:03:08

FC - I don’t know your Mum’s friend’s story - but the entry criteria for Samaritan’s is very strict. At each training session senior Volunteers assess the candidates and ‘weed them out’.
Sometimes they might be too chatty, too empathetic, perhaps they might disclose too much about themselves or the Organisation. In the ‘old days’ I believe ex-callers were dissuaded from volunteering. Some volunteers I encountered got through the training, the selection process, provided good references but once ‘in house’ it became apparent they were only there to get ‘Samaritan Volunteer’ on their CV! Samaritans have a strict code of practice, sometimes difficult to remain a listener when you’d like to offer advice.

It’s just dawned on me that your Mum’s friend was banned as a caller? Is that what you meant?

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Sep-20 03:03:07

Thank you everyone for your replies.
Georgesgran, no you were right the first time, she was not recruited as a volunteer for the Samaritans.
I think it may have been that she was 'too religious'.
I doubt that I would pass muster with them if their criteria is so strict, though not for being too devout!
It is very reassuring that those measures are in place.
Don't even get me started on Cruse...
I had a terrible experience with them as a 'client'.
Again, many thanks. You've given me plenty to mull over, but if Mary is correct, which I don't doubt, then it's a bit of a non starter anyway.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 29-Sep-20 08:32:19

It's very frustrating when you have the motivation to help but opportunities seem a bit scarce!
At the start of the pandemic I signed up with thousands of others with WRVS volunteer scheme. I signed up for the phone service. I must admit when I got the details I was quite taken aback. I had maybe naively imagined a friendly chat with someone who was lonely or isolated. There was a script of issues to cover. There was also pointers on how to recognise Adult Protection issues ,supporting mental health etc and how to refer people on. My background is social services so I have skills that appropriate. I must admit ,and I felt a little cowardly doing it,I felt it wasnt for me. I felt that the potential for checking on people who may be experiencing a mental health crisis etc would be too stressful.
I did volunteer for silver line but at the time they were inundated with more volunteers than they could cope with. They have my details but havent heard from them.
There maybe other options. I wonder if it's worth contacting local care homes? Many residents have no visitors even when they are allowed. A cheery note or card can make all the difference. Local churches often have a befriending scheme. Your local council also should have a volunteer officer that might be able to suggest ways you can help. There are so many lonely people out there you would hope there would be a way of connecting them!

Teetime Tue 29-Sep-20 09:32:36

I tried to volunteer for Silver Line but the message said they weren't taking anyone on at the moment - this was a few months ago. I am now going to try Versus Arthritis to see if they want me.

J52 Tue 29-Sep-20 10:17:47

Teetime as Silverline is now part of Age UK, it is then who you have to apply to. But there are restrictions that I outlined upthread.
I hope you soon find an organisation to volunteer with. I’m sure there’s a great need out there.