Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas decorations.

(67 Posts)
Newatthis Thu 01-Oct-20 20:31:26

I've just gone to the shops (a rare visit) and found that they are already stocking the shelves with Christmas decorations. Now this is not unusual as it is October. Ordinarily I would stop and look to see if I could add to my collection and get excited. I love Christmas and love decorating my house for the festive season. However, today it was all I could do to stop myself crying. I just thought that this year I won't be with my family which is one of the only times we all get together (my C's and Gc's live a long way away). Added to that the thought of having to queue up outside the supermarkets in the cold, winter weather upset me further. I had to leave the shop and get back to the car before the tears started tumbling down my face. I am a very positive person so this is very unusual behaviour for me. Does anyone else feel like this.

Megs36 Sun 04-Oct-20 17:55:04

newatthis,I could have written your post myself , as well as some others we too were ‘shut in ‘ from the beginning of lockdown in March due to extreme vulnerability and didn’t have family popping in until a picnic recently and then even not a toe over the threshold! Or sitting in the garden, but a bit cold and wet for that now Lucky if your loved ones are near, none of ours are unfortunately, all very well making the best of a bad job but after sixty years of seeing someone at least part of the holiday in the past the thought of being alone for Christmas or longer,especially now we are in our eighties, makes me think there can’t be that many more. On that note I’ll go away and count my blessings??????

FannyCornforth Sun 04-Oct-20 17:15:09

Oh bless you everyone on here.
So many sad stories .
x

p1nkpr1ncess Sun 04-Oct-20 16:00:10

I love Christmas and always decorate 1st December. However, last December 6th we lost our beloved mum from dementia. Her last week was awful (she was at home and sedated). with planning the funeral etc Christmas was a very sombre affair and we didn't really have time to prepare for it. This year, we will only get a garden visit from GS and D in the garden and the rest of the time it will be just us two. But in honour of mum's memory the decorations will be up, carols will be sung and we will make the best of it as we can.

FannyCornforth Sun 04-Oct-20 10:46:51

That's excellent ShropshireLass
(Great username,smile)

Shropshirelass Sun 04-Oct-20 09:49:53

I read this the other day. Puts things into perspective.

Unigran4 Sat 03-Oct-20 21:31:38

Oh Newatthis, my heart goes out to you! You say you are normally a positive person, so I would say your tearful reaction caught you by surprise. But you also indicate that you've not been out much, and the "new normal" you have discovered on your recent outing has hit you rather hard, and coming to terms with it is tough. I can't make it better for you, no one can. Give yourself time to process your feelings. Cry without shame. Allow yourself to grieve for the life pre-lockdown.

Your positive side will eventually shine through again, because that's who you are. Sending love and hugs.

JaneRn Sat 03-Oct-20 18:46:37

I think if you put up your Christmas decorations too early they lose their magic nd start to look a bit tired by the time The Day arrives. My mother used to tell me that when she was a child the tree was put up and decorated on Christmas Eve which must have been so exciting for the children when they came down in the morning.

I.m not as strict as that, but apart from Advent Calendar and candle, and cards, no decorations go up until just before my birthday, a week before Christmas. I shall do the same this year, no new tree decorations as it is a real trip down memory lane to use the ones I have acquired over the years including two of my grandmother's clip on candle holders. No Health and Safety in her time!

hollysteers Sat 03-Oct-20 17:21:33

I have never understood how each year, the shelves in the shops are bulging with Xmas decs! I thought everyone did the same as me; that is pull out boxes of decs accumulated over the years (including my mothers) and reuse them (I’m a tight so and so?) Very occasionally I’m tempted by a pretty bauble, but this is my bit for the environment.
Love Xmas, but laid back about it and don't think about it until it’s nearly upon us. Let’s keep some perspective.

Bluecat Sat 03-Oct-20 16:25:50

I used to love Christmas but now I dread it. Three years ago, on Christmas Day, I became very ill and nearly died. Didn't get out of hospital until February. Last year, I started being ill on Boxing Day and ended up in hospital on New Year's Eve. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this year is OK, though it will be the first we have ever spent without our younger DD since she was born. Very sad to think that we won't be able to watch her girls playing with their new toys. We will have to resort to Facetime.

With our elder DD and her family, it has been Facetime since they went to the US in 2014. Not the same as being with them but better than nothing.

We have decided that we won't do the full decorations, as it is just us. We will put up a few favourites, holly and lights on the mantlepiece, and plenty of candles. I am going to choose a few special things to cook - at least the catering will be easier if it's just the two of us. Then just snuggle down together with the tv and a glass of something nice. Fingers crossed!

queenofsaanich69 Sat 03-Oct-20 16:16:35

It brought tears to my eyes to read your post,maybe we are all extra sensitive——— how about start to fill a box of things to give another family who are sad and lonely and imagine their surprise and happiness to receive your thoughtful gift,you could shop on line.
Take care.Hugs

CBBL Sat 03-Oct-20 15:57:27

My hubby & I are moving a long way north, for health reasons, and will be more than 700 miles away from family and friends, this Christmas. We may perhaps, make some new friends in time for Christmas, but it's not likely that we will have someone to share a Christmas Meal with, given present circumstances. However, we will try and get out to see something of our new location, weather permitting, and will benefit from bracing sea air! Best Wishes and kind regards to all those who find the Christmas season sad or difficult, for whatever reason.

Daddima Sat 03-Oct-20 15:54:53

I have never been a fan of Christmas, as it is the time of year when my parents and a dear friend died, and I could never buy into the ‘festive overkill’. Now it will be my first Christmas without the Bodach, as he died shortly after Christmas. We always went away to the sun, and I’m hopeful I’ll manage it again this year.

Lorelei Sat 03-Oct-20 15:35:23

@Newatthis - It's never nice when something you look forward to doesn't happen for some reason and it's sad your positivity has been somewhat dampened. In this strange year Christmas will be different for many families, lonely or lonelier for a lot of people. For some it is already a time of year they find difficult. We cannot help how we feel and we can each only try to make the best of a bad situation. I hope you can find a way to cope and pick out as many positives as you can.

I can see why some like the idea of Christmas day being an exception so they can have larger gatherings of friends and family, but personally I think it's a bit crazy. Why put anyone at risk, and why would you potentially expose everyone you care about to a deadly virus for the sake of one day together. I would ask people to continue exercising restraint, keeping yourself, your loved ones and the wider community as safe as possible. Anyone considering risky Christmas should question how they would live with their conscience if people died because of their decisions, if their behaviour killed off their nearest and dearest (imagine finding out you hosted a huge Covid party!). We are hoping to move into our new house before Christmas, but wherever we are it will be just the 2 of us and cat - his business partner is the only other person we have had any contact with and this won't change. I'm highly vulnerable and have been shielded. It will be weird having new surroundings, new neighbours, new appliances to learn to cook with etc but like everyone else we will somehow muddle through. I hope you can find some positives to counterbalance any negatives and make a better Christmas for yourself.

I keep telling myself that while there are many people a lot better off than us in this Coronavirus year; people that have more money so no financial worries, more outdoor space to spend time in fields or large gardens, family, partner, kids and grandkids living with them etc, there are also many people a lot worse off than us. People have lost jobs, homes, loved ones. People are struggling to survive, to feed their families, provide for children, care for pets, tend to sick relatives. Whenever I feel depressed that I'm stuck indoors, don't see people, am prevented from doing much due to poor health, I have to force myself to think of those who have it even tougher than me, that can do less, that have nobody at all, that are still in pain and/or grieving. I feel for you as I feel for anyone suffering. Here's hoping we all make it through Christmas and that 2021 will be a better year.

Lucca Sat 03-Oct-20 15:20:21

newnanny

I think I have read that Boris might drop rule of 6 for Christmas day.

Well how daft.
I agree with the poster who mentions doing charity donations among adults. Already had this chat with one daughter in law who was delighted. The others live in Australia so can’t do gifts anyway.
I fail to understand people planning (planning what ?) in early October. It’s a it of extra food that’s all. You can’t be planning catering for parties with Covid around.

aggie Sat 03-Oct-20 14:49:43

I think it would be the height of madness to have big gatherings at Christmas, relatives from all arts and parts ! Just the situation for the pandemic to escalate !
Surely we should decorate like mad and stick to our own homes !
Lots of FaceTime or Zoom , easier on the environment too

glammanana Sat 03-Oct-20 14:35:04

Polnan I was in the same frame of mind as you as I lost my lovely man in December so Christmas was cancelled for me and the family,but after giving myself a good shake and talking to I reminded myself my John would have insisted we have as joyous time as possible this year so I have treated myself to some special decorations and ordered a prelite tree for the front garden.

Kim19 Sat 03-Oct-20 14:10:56

Is it definite that Christmas will be a no get together for even limited numbers? Seems that the situation changes from day to day and rightly so. I haven't given up hope but I'm certainly not worried about it either way much as I so enjoy the current celebrations I am usually included in. Guess I'm just an optimist. Sincerely hope so.

Davida1968 Sat 03-Oct-20 13:42:25

Many charity shops seem to have Christmas decorations for sale. (At times I've seen some stunningly lovely items.) I'd always start there before buying anywhere else.

Sr69 Sat 03-Oct-20 13:39:00

If we can’t see family on Christmas Day we are going to pack a picnic and go off to the Lake District for the day and have a good walk, that’s providing we are allowed .

craftyone Sat 03-Oct-20 13:21:10

I turned qvc on just now, they are doing christmas things. I don`t feel maudlin about christmas this year, many of us will be in a similar boat. Personally I am just going to get on with it, at least it is not a war as ww1 and ww2. We can stay safe and we have no rationing

I am on the lookout for an easy outdoor light of some sort, one I can put out and take in easily. Looking at the lights in the depths of winter can be so cheery

MerylStreep Sat 03-Oct-20 13:08:52

Some years ago I didn't take down the garden lights down: I love them. I asked the neighbours if they minded and they said no, they loved them.
So I've had Xmas lights in the garden for years.
I always buy mine directly after Xmas. Lots lots cheaper.

TheFrugalPiggy Sat 03-Oct-20 13:00:37

Newatthis I truly feel for you. I don't think I can add anymore wise words but I'm sending you my best wishes ?

Illte Sat 03-Oct-20 12:51:33

Those of you who are wondering about Christmas shopping, please check out the independents in your local high street.

My son-in-law owns a small gift shop and us offering "bubbles" when you can book a 45 minute slot to have the shop to yourself after normal opening hours. You even get fizz and a mince pie!

I'm sure lots of indepedent traders are looking at innovative ways to serve their customers. Most of them love their shops and their communities ?

mumofmadboys Sat 03-Oct-20 12:31:36

If it benefits all that we abide by the rule of 6 , it would be madness to stop it for one day. Awful if we had a spike in deaths from Christmas mixing!

Theoddbird Sat 03-Oct-20 12:10:15

I will just think of it as another day. At the moment being with family at any time has to be appreciated and made the most of. Last year I decided to spend it alone. I put 3 real potted trees on my jetty and put solar lights on them. I cooked simple but special meal. I dug out the Christmas dvds. I enjoyed it...a relaxing but planned day. We just have to make what we can of it. No point in stressing about something we cannot change... x